Issue with saving files in Fedora with PDFXEdit 6 running on Wine

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ArchStanton
User

Issue with saving files in Fedora with PDFXEdit 6 running on Wine

Post by ArchStanton »

Hello, I'm having an issue when I try to save a file with PDFXEdit in Fedora 30, Wine 4.0.1 and 4.7 (tested both: 4.0 is wine-stable from Wine's repo, 4.7 is from Fedora's repo), PDFXEdit 6.0.322.7.

When I try to save a file I get "Cannot save …. An error occurred while saving the document to the file: C:\users\…. Error [IO subsystem]: Invalid access mode.". Usually doing "Save As..." and choosing another directory works, though. (By the way, the very same setup worked well in Ubuntu 18.04.)

I'm sorry not to contribute some debugging with newer versions but I've never managed to make versions 7 and 8 run as reliably as v. 5 and 6 do. In fact, this problem doesn't exist with the older v. 5.5.313.1.

Running 5.5.313.1 isn't a problem for me. Still, if you already know a fix for my issue, I'd gladly apply it.

Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Issue with saving files in Fedora with PDFXEdit 6 running on Wine

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Arch,

Thanks for the post - Given that your issue is with V6, which is quite old, there isn't really anything that we can do here. this appears to work in Ubuntu as you've said, so it's highly possible this was an issue in V6.

What are the specific problems that you're facing with V8, that stop you from using it? Those would be the issues that we may be able to address. But, as always, I'm obliged to point out that: Issues specific to Linux cannot be considered a priority as we only officially support Windows OS's at this time; we simply endeavour to do what we can, where we can.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Hi Will,
I've tested the latest version, only the portable release, both in a Wine 32 bit environment ('WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winecfg'...) and in a "normal" environment (I don't know exactly what Wine does by default, I just ran 'WINEPREFIX=~/.winetmp winecfg' prior to launching PDFXEdit). Both ways it crashes right after starting it, freezing my whole system. Now I'm on Fedora 30 with Wine 4.7.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Arch,
I run the Editor every day on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with the default repo win binaries:

paul@pdf-xchange.net@linpaul-work:~$ wine --version
wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1)

To be honest I don't use a command line to launch it, I leave wine explorer running and start the Editor like a Windows user by double clicking the Editor shortcut on the wind desktop but it also launches without issue from the command line. Are you getting any messages in STDOUT?
Attachments
image.png
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Hi Paul, sorry for the late reply.

I've always used the command line to launch PDFXE, but I would be surprised if that made a difference. As I said I did the latest tests with both a 32 bit environment the way Roman taught me to do – which worked well with v. 6 on Ubuntu 18.04 – and leaving Wine do as it pleases, except that I used another WINEPREFIX to avoid polluting 5.5's directory.

Before trying v. 8 now on Fedora I had only tried v. 7 on Ubuntu 16.04 with Wine 1.6 and I encountered the problems described in the thread where Roman commented.

Which installer do you use on Ubuntu? I'm not going to test v. 8 again right now, though, because I have some work going on and it causes me to reboot my box.

Anyway, it's nice to know that you daily drive PDFXE on Linux :-)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arch,
Anyway, it's nice to know that you daily drive PDFXE on Linux :-)
I do, I also have it integrated into my domain. The biggest issue I face is that my user session repeatedly stops working to authenticate me to some domain resources and requires me to log out an in again. One day I will find the time to troubleshoot that. It has also pushed me to using the wine Explorer to launch both the installer, and the installed products:
image.png
Using the Pro installer ProV8.x64.msi this way works right out of the box,
image.png
so too do the installed apps.
image.png
regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Thanks Paul,

I tried the 64 bit msi installer starting it from "Wine File" (I'm now on Wine 4.9, from Fedora's default repos), I launched PDFXE at the end of the installation but it still freezed my system. From a TTY console (which took a while to start but was responsive afterwards) I saw that PDFXEdit.exe was using just 5-10% of the CPU, and another process "tracker-extract" was using around 20%. Anyway, my Gnome shell got stuck after PDFXEdit showed the "PDF XChange Editor is not the default reader…" dialog, the mouse becoming laggier and laggier until the GUI completely hanged.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that Arch,
I haven't tried Fedora in quite some time. We have made the polisy here that we will do what we can to support the Editor underWine using either Ubuntu LTS with the LTS wine Repos, OR any distro using the current stable from winehq.org.

I tested with the repo version of wine and will test 4.05 your version is, according to WineHQ the development build which we do not support.

I will (hopefully) test the current stable on Ubuntu LTS (18.04) later today, do you want to try that on your end in Fedora?

Also - if you launch the Editor from the command line you should see error messages to SDTOUT. It would be helpful to see those too.

Regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Ok, so, after having removed the old wine installation and the ~/.wine32 directory I ran

Code: Select all

dnf config-manager --add-repo https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/fedora/30/winehq.repo
dnf install winehq-stable
Now 'wine --version' returns 'wine-4.0.1'.
I ran

wine msiexec /i ~/Downloads/EditorV8.x64.msi
Note that Wine asked about installing Mono and Gecko packages while setting up the ~/.wine directory, because "a wine-mono package is needed for .NET applications to work correctly" and "a Gecko package is needed for applications embedding HTML to work correctly" (quotes from the dialog window). I answered "Cancel" to both. Do you have Mono/Gecko installed in your system? Are they required?
Anyway, the installation completed successfully and I ran

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Tracker\ Software/PDF\ Editor/PDFXEdit.exe > ~/stdout.log 2> ~/stderr.log
but the Gnome shell froze again. Killing the PDFXEdit.exe process was enough to thaw it (I ran 'kill -2 <PID>').

The stdout log is empty, stderr.log is full of '003d:fixme:font:GetCharacterPlacementW flags 0x00000032 ignored', so I ran

grep -v "003d:fixme:font:GetCharacterPlacementW flags 0x00000032 ignored" stderr.log > stderr_clean.log
and I attach both the clean and diluted stderr logs here. Hope it helps!
Attachments
logs.zip
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that Arch,

I will need to have one of our engineers look at those logs. Hopefully I will have something for you soon.

regards

Paul
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Ok, thanks :-)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi again Arch,

my developer reported :
I could not see anything suspicious in the provided logs. Reported WINE stub implementations are typical for the Editor and should not cause anything like this.
I tested the current Editor in Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS with winehq-stable (currently wine-4.0.1), as that is one distro we say we will support. It launches and functions as expected.

We are not of the opinion that it is necessarily wine that is causing this so we are going to test with Fedora and update here.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hi ArchStanton,

Please try to select XOrg for your login session (instead of Wayland, which is default in Fedora 30):
image.png
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

The Editor starts OK under Wine in Wayland session using Wayland reference compositor (Weston) instead of Gnome default compositor (Mutter). However the Editor UI still works unreliably (windows resizing, mouse pointer position sometimes is unrelated to the point actually clicked, etc.).
So most likely the root problem might be in XWayland layer (WINE does not support Wayland natively).
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

It works flawlessly under X. The same installation that I described some posts before, I didn't even reinstall.

I think I should get used to blaming Wayland more often :roll: .

Thanks for helping me out guys, as always you're awesome!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)