Links Bookmarks not working - combined files

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

philboy
User

Links Bookmarks not working - combined files

Post by philboy »

Hi,
I am using PDF-XChange Editor to combine two PDF files into one. The first file has a table of contents at the start and after combining them into one file, the links work within PDF-XChange Editor. However, once I send this PDF file to another person, they open it in Adobe Acrobat. The link appears as a link (hand cursor icon) however the link does not work. If I open it up again in PDF-XChange Editor it works so it seems to be some sort of compatibility issue between the two applications.

Can you please assist with a solution so that it works within Adobe Acrobat.

Kind regards,
Philip
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Links Bookmarks not working - combined files

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Philip,

Thanks for the post - The links we create are ISO compliant, so if this working in our app, please try e.g. Google Chrome's built in viewer and see if they work there. This is very likely a bug in Adobe.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
philboy
User

Post by philboy »

Hi Will,
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I tested it in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC on different computers and neither of them worked. However, I did test it in Chrome and it worked.

I don't believe that the problem lies with Acrobat and I will explain my reasoning below. The merged file is made up of two files. The table of contents is in the first file, which works fine in both Adobe applications listed previously. I save the file in PDF-XChange Editor and it still works in both applications. It is only when I run it through the merge facility that it stops working in both applications.

Best regards,
Philip
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello philboy,

Is it possible to send us two of the files with which you have these issues, so we can test combining at our end?

If the files contain confidential content, please send them to support@pdf-xchange.com

Regards.
philboy
User

Post by philboy »

Hi Dimitar,
I have emailed the relevant files and I look forward to your continued support.

Kind regards,
Philip
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello philboy,

Thank you for the sample files.

We'll do some tests with them and we'll erase them afterwards.

EDIT: The result from the testing was that indeed there was a problem with the links under the Adobe Reader and Pro as well few other.
I have forwarded the files to our developers for further investigation.

When there is development on this issue I will contact you.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we are doing our best to solve the problem in the shortest possible time.

Regards.