Rename filename

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

psztoch
User

Rename filename

Post by psztoch »

Feature "rename filename" is very critical.
We can't use windows explorer, because file is open.
New action, should easily change name of current viewed PDF.
We need copy information from document to filename very often. Dialog should not block access to document view. User should can select and copy fragment of document text and past it to the filename.

File rename feature can be added to Document Properties dialog. But this dialog should not block access to document (for select, copy and paste...). This solution will be good, because user can verify and update other metadata (title, subject...) too.

At the moment the process of naming PDF files is very slow and cumbersome.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Rename filename

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello psztoch,

Do you mean renaming the file's name in the tabs, or somewhere else?

Also, what kind of information the file you need to be added in the file's name?

Regards.
psztoch
User

Post by psztoch »

We need easy rename tool with instant view of PDF.
We can't use windows explorer, because during viewing file is locked and we can't rename file.
You can do it as you want. Select easiest way for you.

Renaming using tabs looks good.

Renaming in "Document Properties" will be good too.

If it is not hard, then please implement both ways.
Also, what kind of information the file you need to be added in the file's name?
It depends from pdf document. All information are in document body. User want to select text using mouse, then copy and paste it into filename and sometimes into other metadata from Document Properties.
For example: invoice number, invoice date, buyer id.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello psztoch,

Thank you for the clarification, I cannot speak for exactly when it will be available, but we are actually working on a rename feature at the moment. Hopefully we can see it in the near future, but I can make no promises just yet.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
psztoch
User

Post by psztoch »

New rename feature is useful.
It will be VERY useful, if you make "Rename Document" modal dialog box as non blocking window.

If somebody wants to change filename, then he wants to copy text from document and pastes it to filename.
Frequently he wants to copy a few part to new filename, in example date, invoice number, customer name.

It will be nice to select customer name from document, press CTRL-C, click on filename, then CTRL-V.
An then repeat these actions for date and invoice number...

Second problem is with obsolete and old entry in recent files list after file rename.

Rename filename dialog should be integrated with Document Info. If you change file name you want to check main metadata.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello psztoch,

Thank you for the suggestion, I have created a feature request on this matter, but at this point in time I cannot say for sure that it will be accepted. While you cannot look it up directly, you can check to see if it has been accepted in a few months time by asking any member of our support team about the following ticket number:

#4963: FR: make rename "non blocking"

Could you elaborate on the second issue, obsolete entries are created when renaming files for you? How do you see incorporating the "document info" window into the rename function, (or vice-versa) helping with that? I can create a feature request (or bug report) when I fully understand the issue.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
psztoch
User

Post by psztoch »

1. I want to add Document Title, Author and Subject under Filename.
Renaming filename I can update major metadata too:
image.png
Other idea is to add rename feature to Description "tab" in Document Properties window:
image.png
Filename should be normal edit box.

2. Recent history:
image.png
I add Stael at end of filename. And next, I correct it to Satel.
Entry #3 and #4 are wrong (old, and not exist files).

P.S. New rename feature was hit in my office, today. :-)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello pztoch,

Thanks for the further explanation, regarding the recents/history lists, I have created the following bug report, and hopefully we can resolve this in an upcoming build, but for the time being you will have to bear with these issues (it is a very new feature after all):
RT#4964: Rename file, recents/history issues

Unfortunately renaming the file at the same time as the document metadata, such as title and keywords does come with some many difficulties which could lead to some damages occurring if implemented even slightly incorrectly. The dev team have rejected this request because of these possible issues, and while we may reconsider in the future, it is highly unlikely.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
psztoch
User

Post by psztoch »

Ok.
1. Then add simply link on Document Properties > Description > File info > Filename to new rename dialog.
Of course user can click and open rename dialog only if all changes is saved in Document Properties windows.
If we have some unsaved changes, we had got Message box, that first we had to save changes.

2. Filename Rename Dialog:
If we have problem with editable title and subject, then please add it as informational control.
Of course it must to be selectable text control, because user sometime want to copy title (subject) or fragment of title (subject) and paste it to filename.

3. Users are reluctant to enter valid metadata. They must be encouraged to do so as much as possible.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello psztoch,

I understand where you are coming from, however we can only do so much. I have already created both Tickets (RT#4963: FR: make rename "non blocking") and (RT#4964: Rename file, recents/history issues) for you on these requests. For now, all we can do is leave those requests in the hands of our Development team.
As usual, I cannot provide a timeline for these features, but we are working on it.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com