Opening from Sessions Closes all Prexisting Windows

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnaut
User

Opening from Sessions Closes all Prexisting Windows

Post by Arnaut »

Hi,

I'm using Build 7.0.351. If I have multiple windows open and in one window I open from Sessions, then all my other windows are closed and only the window for the new session is opened. I think this is a bug.

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Opening from Sessions Closes all Prexisting Windows

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Arnaut,
Thank you for your post. This is the intended behavior. Only one session can be loaded, and may encompass multiple windows. When a session is opened it replaces the current session.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

After Further investigation,
There is now a new option for this inside the manage session menu:
Simply select the lower option and you should find the opened session added to the active one.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
soremo
User

Post by soremo »

This option to open documents stored in a session without closing all preexisting tabs or windows seems to be only available for the internally stored sessions, but not when opening a session from a .xcesession file. It would be very helpful, if such option could be added to restoring a session saved externally.

A different solution would be to allow opening multiple separate instances of the entire application. Then one could open a first stored session in a first instance and a second stored session in a second instance, without mixing the tabs and windows of the first and second sessions. This would have the advantage that, after changing the tab or window arrangements or opening or closing some files, a modified first session and/or a modified second session could be saved without the session also including all tabs and windows of the respective other session. With the current solution the tabs and windows of both restored sessions cannot be stored separately.
Last edited by soremo on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Soremo,

Isn't what Daniel posted above you exactly what you refer to? You can now open the files from a stored session and add them to what you already have opened as files in the Editor, without 'wiping' the currently opened ones?

For me the default when I click on a session is to load the files from that stored session in Addition to already opened ones. (I am working with a RC version of what will be V8 though)

Regards,
Stefan
soremo
User

Post by soremo »

Hi Stefan,

thank you for your quick reply. Apparenty, I wasn't clear enough.

Sessions can be saved in two different ways: either internally (File -> Open -> Sessions -> Save Current Session) or as an external file having the .xcesession file extension (File -> Open -> Sessions -> Save Current Session to a File). Restoring a session from such a file is done either by simply double-clicking that file in the file system or from the menu (File -> Open -> Session -> Open Session from a File). When opening such .xcesession file, there seem to be no option to add the session windows and tabs to the currently open windows and tabs. Instead, all currently open windows and tabs are closed and replaced by the windows and tabs of the opened session. Or did I miss some checkbox for such option anywhere?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Soreno,

Just checked again with an external file - and for me the behaviour is that the session files are added to the already opened ones. I tested both with opening through the Editor and by double clicking on the session file on my desktop.

As I mentioned earlier, however, I am testing with a release candidate of V8 of our products. So that is probably why I see things differently. We were supposed to have this new version our earlier in the week, but some last minute bugs meant we had to postpone it. I do not have the new planned release data at this moment.

Regards,
Stefan
soremo
User

Post by soremo »

Hi Stefan,

thanks again for the quick answer.

I have version 7.0 Build 328.2 installed and could reproduce what you describe.

I had assumed that the options in the Manage Sessions window only apply to internally saved sessions, but not to sessions saved externally to an .xcesession file. Apparently, this assumption was wrong. In fact, the options in the Manage Sessions window act as kind of additional global preferences.

Now, even though there is a solution to my problem, it is not very convenient. This is because it is rather cumbersome to set this option during opening a saved session from an .xcesession file. Usually, when I open a session, I want it to replace all current windows and tabs. If in a certain case I want the current windows and tabs to stay open when opening a saved session, I will have to open the Manage Seesion window, change the preference, close this window, and open the session file. This is why I would prefer if there was something like a checkbox or toggle that could be selected directly during the process of opening the .xcesession file. This way, one could set the desired behavoir on a case-by-case basis (in contrast to a global preference).
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello soremo,

I will bring this up for consideration, but in the mean time - an alternative approach would be:
1) Have by default that new sessions are added to the current one.
2) Press Ctrl, and then press and hold W - and this will quickly close all currently opened documents you have
3) Open you desired session on it's own.

So you have your default to what you normally want to use - and then when you need to occasionally have only the new session opened - just quickly close the currently opened documents - should take no more than 2-3 seconds of holding Ctrl + W(depending on your keyboard's repeat speed) to close up to 50-60 files.

Regards,
Stefan
soremo
User

Post by soremo »

Hi Stefan,

thank you for your suggestion. This is indeed a good solution. Actually, I can assign a shortcut (e.g. Alt+W) to File -> Close All so that I can close all tabs and windows at once and do not even need to close them indiviually.

Thanks again!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Soremo,

Yes that is also an option.
I don't normally have more than 5 files opened so I do not have a need to shortcut "Close All" - but that is of course individual, and in your circumstances this might be even better than holding down Ctrl + W for some seconds!

Cheers,
Stefan