Batch Rename files based on OCR Text content

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kss
User

Batch Rename files based on OCR Text content

Post by kss »

Is it possible to rename files based on the existence of OCR Text within a PDF?

Let' say I had a bunch of scanned invoices container the text "Bob the Electrician" and "Invoice". I'd like to be able to to have all files with that text renamed to be "Bob the Electrician- Invoice-[unique identifier]".pdf. Where "[unique identifier]" could be some other bit of related metadata specific to "Bob the Electrician" invoices or an auto-generated sequential number to make the filename unique.

I've searched through the tools and didn't see anything like that available. It would be awesome if that exists.

Thanks,

Kurt
DenisO
Site Admin

Re: Batch Rename files based on OCR Text content

Post by DenisO »

Hi Kurt,
in current version PDF Tools do not have this functionality.
But in the upcoming release there will be feature to filter documents by text. And you will be able to create tool as shown:
Choose input files -> Filter Documents by text: "Bob the Electrician" -> Save Documents Filename: Bob the Electrician_[%uniquenumber].pdf
Will it be helpful for you?
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello,

Thank you for the update, Denis.

Regards.
kss
User

Post by kss »

Sorry for the delay. Hi Denis. Yes, that's exactly the feature I was looking for! Thank you. Any idea when that will be released?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello KSS,

I am afraid that we don't have an estimate yet!

Regards,
Stefan
AndreasHe
User

Post by AndreasHe »

Oh yes, I am also looking for that thing.

I hope it is the same idea as I need it to auto-sort PDFs to target folders, depending on content. And an easy and quick way to train more rules. Want to use it for my post-inbox scanned and beeing sorted to folders.

An advanced add-on might also be to add keywords based on that rule to the PDF. And maybe even usage of Regex to use the backreference vars in folder/file names.