Split Pages in Windows XP

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Split Pages in Windows XP

Post by Arnold »

Over here there appears to be an inconsistency in the Split Pages feature in Windows XP. Adding a Horizontal Split seems to work but not appear in the Preview pane, while adding a Vertical Split works fine. Adding either type of split works fine in Windows 7.

I used the same document on both the XP and 7 machines. Both computers are using the same settings. PDFX 328.2 running on Windows XP sp3, and Windows 7 sp1. When adding the Vertical Split, the Split turns red, and I can drag the additional split where I want it. Same with the Horizontal Split on Windows 7 only.

When I click on the Add Horizontal Split button in XP, the list of splits on the left increases okay, but the split does not appear in the Preview pane on the right. It seems only the original Horizontal Split can appear in the Preview pane at that point. The additional split exists though, and I can edit it. However, closing the document and re-opening it with the new settings solves the problem.

Is this just on my computer? Thanks.
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Re: Split Pages in Windows XP

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello Arnold,

I will redirect this to our testers for further investigation.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Will issues like this be looked into/fixed, or is 328.2 the last build that will run on Windows XP?
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello Arnold,

This was fixed, though the date when the next release for the XP will be out is still unknown.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Thank you. Unfortunately, my plans to move to Windows 7 got derailed a few months ago. The Windows 7 machine belongs to me, but the Windows XP one belongs to the company. The company has decided to shut down operations completely, so I will soon be looking for a new job. Knowing that, it just made sense to stick with the XP machine for these last few months. Thank you for supporting Windows XP all this time. I would have a very difficult time trying to function without the Editor, and I am not exaggerating.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Arnold,

Sorry to hear that about your circumstances!
While there will probably be one last V7 build with this fix - moving onwards from V8 - XP will no longer be supported. It simply is not capable of doing some things that we do need in order to be able to keep improving our products. Therefore I would strongly suggest you consider updating to at least Win 7 as soon as you are able to!

Regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I will be on it pretty soon. I think we will cease taking on new work very, very shortly, and then it will just be scanning in paperwork to be stored digitally. That will also be done using the Editor. At that point I will probably need to turn over the XP machine to the head office, and will only have my Windows 7 machine. So I look forward to version 8 also.

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi Arnold!

It should be mentioned as well. Simply because XP is no longer supported, does not necessarily mean that the application will not work at all. As Stefan mentioned, this is due to changes we wish to make that XP simply cannot do, but it is likely that the application will still run and be mostly functional for a few builds.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Great to hear. One of the things I will probably lose with a new job is being able to use the software of my choosing. We shall see. If that happens, I will continue using the Editor as much as I can. In the meantime, I have a lot more scanning to do with the program to wrap things up.

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Well, I hope things go well for you at the new job Arnold.
We look forward to seeing you on the forums in the months to come!

All the best,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Did you guys change the decision on this? I tried to install 8.0.330 on a Windows XP computer and it did not work. Still wedded to XP for a few more weeks while I wind down our operation here.

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,

We ended up opting for a more diverse approach and will be officially supporting both Version 8, and Version 7 for some time. This will allow us to keep XP supported for longer, and spend time focusing on creating as stable a build as possible for when it finally does need to be discontinued. That way, you can benefit from the best of both worlds.
Unfortunately, you will need to use a newer OS to install version 8 due to this.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Got it. So at some point then will there be a new release of version 7 correcting the bug I found to start this thread?

One thing I noticed with version 8 on Windows 7 is that if I disable Quick Launch, all icons on that right side disappear, not just Quick Launch. Do you guys see that over there?

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,

I am unsure of when exactly the next Version 7 build will be available and if you fix will be in that one, but we can keep our fingers crossed.

And yes, all icons on that side of the screen are part of the "Quicklaunch toolbar" it is intended that they all disappear when that toolbar is hidden. The quicklaunch toolbar has actually existed for quite a while, and you will find that even in previous versions before there was a search bar present, disabling that toolbar would hide those icons.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Of course, was not thinking. What I was hoping to do was hide the new search button, but leave the other icons still there. If that is not possible I may move some icons around.

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,

I am surprised to hear you wanted to hide it, I thought you would be one of the most excited about this function! nonetheless, you can always hide it by using the customize Toolbars menu and simply right clicking on the toolbar:
image.png
image.png (22.26 KiB) Viewed 3410 times
I hope this helps!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I think it is great, but I have set shortcuts for pretty much every feature I use. Especially now with all the scanning I am doing. I will leave it for now and mess with it. I pretty much always end up liking features you guys add once I try them out a few times.

Okay I will stop bugging you for today. Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:D

Support@pdf-xchange.com