Some hyperlinks are not getting linked

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PDFer
User

Some hyperlinks are not getting linked

Post by PDFer »

I am using the current version (7.0.328.2 ).

In Word-2007 DOCX documents that I am printing to PDF, most hyperlinks are being converted to links, but some are not.

Also, for links that span more than one line of text, the hyperlinked text on the first line is not being included as part of the link (although it still is blue underlined text).

I would like to email you an example DOCX file and the resulting PDF, for your examination.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Some hyperlinks are not getting linked

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello PDFer,

Yes, it will be very useful if you do mail us an example file with which you have these issues.

Please send it to: support@pdf-xchange.com

Regards.
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

Sent it just now.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello PDFer,

Thank you for the email, We have managed to reproduce this and created a bug report ticket for the issue:

RT#4695: 328.2 converting from word w/ links

If you even need an update on this you can ask any member of our support team.
Beyond that, I am afraid that I do not have a good workaround for the time being, Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

Thanks, Daniel. In general, how long does it take for a new build to be issued to fix a verified bug?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi PDFer,

It heavily depends on the severity of the issue, the cause, and the complexity of the fix, as well as how far through the current development cycle we are. Some bugs are able to be fixed by the next build release, sometimes it will take another few builds past that. Of course we on the Support team (not being Devs ourselves) can never predict this so we usually make it very clear that "We cannot provide any guarantees on a timeline for this fix, only that it will be tackled by the Dev team as soon as possible". My apologies for missing that quip today!

As such, and like usual, I cannot provide any guarantees for a timeline on this fix, and I apologize for any inconveniences this causes in the meantime.

As for builds in general, This depends on the features we are working on, but we usually release a new major build (like 328.0) every 2-5 months, with minor "point" builds(328.1 and 328.2) following close behind to make quick tweaks, update security and fix some small bugs.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

Thanks for that information.

I hope the this bug fix, and another one I identified a few days ago (and which Tracker has also verified) can be fixed soon in a "minor 'point' build". The other one is that some end-note URLs are not being linked (see forum at viewtopic.php?f=39&t=32264#p131832).

Both of these are significant problems with the functionality and accuracy of the printer driver, so I think they merit immediate (i.e. high priority) correction.

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello PDFer,

No trouble at all. Again while I cannot speak for the Dev team, they will certainly evaluate these issues and assign them an appropriate priority level.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

Hi Daniel,

Can you please find out for me what priority level this problem has been assigned, and when an update that fixes it might be available?
calcoen
User

Post by calcoen »

Similar problem.

with PDF-XChange Pro 8.0.330.0
then I update to 8.0.331.0 and get worst results

I also have this problem with my Mac when save as PDF, is the standard Mac OS X not the Tracker software. So seem to be a more generic problem with one of the libraries used for PDF conversion.

What I try : (Windows 7 desktop machine)

Open a page in Firefox and print as PDF, some link colored but not working as hyperlink in the PDF
I save the page locally and Open with MS Word 2016, all the links fine inside MS Word, then print as PDF, again links colored but not working as hyperlink

Regards
Daniel
Attachments
CERN Computer Security Information.zip
MS Word docx inside the zip
(20.57 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
CERN Computer Security Information.pdf
PDF generated
(85.51 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
2.zip
complete web data, as saved by Firefox
(53.37 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello All,

PDFer, I have spoken with the dev team, and we have increased the priority a bit further on your issue. I apologize for the delays in the meantime.

CalCoen, Your issue seems unrelated, and is chiefly caused by settings. The Word document version of the file converts correctly provided that you are using the right settings. Note that you must be using the convert tab in MS word that is provided with our Standard Printer. You will also need to enable "Internet Links" from the Links tab of the PDF-XChange Addin to MS Word.
image.png
Regarding your Firefox print output, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to help firefox with this process. As far as most browsers are concerned a "print" operation is going to a physical printer, so link information is not retained in any case. The only way to convert from a webpage and retain subtle links like these is to use our IE conversion Toolbar addin. This is also included with the Standard Printer and will appear as a menu item when enabled:
image.png
image.png (16.65 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
This article should help you to enable the IE conversion toolbar addon: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... t-Explorer
Do also note that the Editor is able to create links automatically from URL's in any PDF, so if the links are outright written as such, and are not subtle ones like most of this article is, than you could use any method to convert the document to PDF and the Editor would pick up the slack.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply.

I wish to point out that I also reported another linking problem with this program in another thread. In Word documents having both footnotes and endnotes, the program is not processing hyperlinks in the endnotes. I sent a sample, and that problem was also verified. I don't know how to find that thread, but can you please find out the status of fixing that problem as well?

Your note that Tracker "have increased the priority a bit further" (regarding the problem in this thread) is not reassuring.

It seems to me that these are both very serious problems, and that at present the program is in fact broken. Fixes for these verified problems should be a top priority, not somewhere down the list.

I am very disappointed that these problems were not fixed in the update that was released this month, since they are fundamental flaws in the programs function and purpose.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello PDFer,

The Development team have been investigating this and looking for ways around it for the past few weeks, and unfortunately it seems that there is nothing we can do from our side. The links locations are inherited from Word itself directly, this means that we would need to alter the structure of the document in order to have these line up correctly, which is not something that we are able to do at this time.

I am sorry to say that that this ticket has been rejected as the issue does not lie within our application, but with how Word is presenting the information.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
cbran250
User

Post by cbran250 »

I have this error when printing from Word 365--no hyperlinks are active in any PDF printed with the PDFX printer driver. Not sure when this stopped working.

When in Word 365 I can do use its "save as" PDF file and the resulting links work fine.

Version 8.0 Build 331.0

CAB
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi CAB,

Thanks for the post - Can you please send a sample Word doc and the resulting PDF? If you don't want to upload here, please send them to support@pdf-xchange.com with a link back to this topic, for reference.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com