Handling of duplicate PDF filenames  SOLVED

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PDFer
User

Handling of duplicate PDF filenames

Post by PDFer »

When I try to save a PDF to a filename that already exists, the printer driver is appending "-00n" to the end of the filename (where n is a number). This is in version 7.0 build 328.

In earlier versions there was a setting I can no longer find, for choosing the behavior of either prompting to overwrite the file (including an opportunity to edit the new filename) or to behave as described above. I can no longer find that setting. If it exists, can you please tell me where to find it. If it doesn't exist, can you please add it back into the program settings menu?

The behavior of appending a number to the end of the filename and leaving the preexisting file in place is a huge time waster for me.
PDFer
User

Re: Handling of duplicate PDF filenames

Post by PDFer »

(forgot to click "notify me when a reply is posted)
lev
User

Post by lev »

Capture1.JPG
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

That's a different program (not sure which one of Tracker's it is). In the PDF XChange Standard printer driver for making a PDF from within a Word doc, that choice doesn't exist - as shown in this screenshot.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi PDFer,

Thanks for the post - Lev is correct; this is our printer and is the setting you need. You can either change it each time when printing, or can set a default within the preferences of the printer, in the Windows Control Panel (Devices and Printers), under the Save tab.

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

Thanks, Will. But even following your instructions I can't get to a screen that has the feature that Lev showed.

Here is a screenshot of what I get when I follow your instructions.
Attachments
ScreenShot2.zip
(404.07 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

OK, I finally found out where the setting is. But the problem still exists.

(I had thought Lev had the "General" item selected because it had dotted lines bracketing it, above and below. I just noticed there was a highlight further down for Save.)

So I went to Saved, via Devices & Printers. But it is already set to "Show warning dialog". I tried resetting it, but when the file already exists second file with numbers added to the name is still being created.

One thing I also noted on the Saved preferences page is that the default directory is not the one I have successfully been using. I had set my preferred directory via the Edit Settings menus from within the Word plug-in. My problem is apparently that the plug-in lacks a Save preferences item.

So I'm really stuck here. The pdfs I am creating with the plug-in are definitely being created by PDF Xchange. If I look at the Document Properties of such a pdf I have created from Word it says: "PDF Producer: PDF-XChange Standard (7.0 build 328.2) [GDI] [Windows 7 Professional x64 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)]". The boogaboo seems to be that in recent versions of the Office plug-in the Save item has been omitted from the plug-ins Edit Settings. (The plug-in obviously does not rely on preferences set via Devices & Printers.)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi PDFer,

That's strange - Just tested several times here with various settings in the Add-in and printer and have no issues. Can you advise on the version of MS Word you're using?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Apologies - I hadn't seen your other post when I wrote this. A colleague is testing with Word 2007 on a VM. We don't currently have a Windows 7 VM with MSO 2007, so hopefully we can reproduce it with XP. If not, we'll try to setup a Win 7 VM, it will just take longer.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
lev
User

Post by lev »

PDF-XChange add-in for Word does not have Save item under Settings. Executing Office2PDF.exe from C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Standard opens a windows where Word may be highlighted and Settings changed (clicking on Options->Settings). Changing When File Exists to Always Overwrite is ignored and using Convert to PDF button from within Word brings up a window allowing to choose among Overwrite, Auto Number, Append, etc.
Another minor items related to the Office2PDF, when a program (Word, Excel or Internet Explorer) is highlighted, a right button click should open a context menu to pull up Settings.

Lev
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi all,

I've had some discussion with my colleagues here, and we've done some testing - From what we can see, unless we're missing something, the Office Add-in appears to be working exactly as it is supposed to. It asks what you want to do with the file if a file by that name exists, then does whatever you choose correctly. As far as I can see, the only thing is that this isn't automatic - is that correct?

If that's the case, I'm not sure that this is something that we can change. I'd need to check this with the devs.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

The problem is that it isn't asking me (that's what I want it to do). It automatically makes the new pdf with a number appended to the filename.
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

I just changed the options setting for Office2PDF.exe that Lev suggested. It was set to "automatic" and I changed it to "show warning dialog" and closed the dialog after clicking Apply.

However, I am not getting the warning dialog. Numbers are still be automatically being appended if the filename is a duplicate.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello PDFer,
Thank you for trying that. As this does seem to be related to your settings, can I ask you to close out all office and PDF-XChange products, then open Regedit and navigate to:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Standard\Office Addin\15\Word

First, please right click and "Export" the Word key:
image.png
After that, delete the key and close regedit.

Now reopen Word and try saving a documents again, this should have reverted all settings back to the defaults and in turn give you the prompt. If this DOES work, please place the reg key you exported before in a .zip folder and send it to us here so that we can see what caused this and rectify it.
It it does not work, please let us know and we can look at other options.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PDFer
User

Re: Handling of duplicate PDF filenames  SOLVED

Post by PDFer »

That worked! Thanks.

The registry item was the "12" version of Word ("15" wasn't there), so I proceeded on that one.

Here is the saved registry key.
Attachments
Edwards reg export file.zip
(38.24 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

Thanks to all of you, including Lev, for your help.
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hi PDFer,

I am happy to hear that we managed to solve the problem.

Regards,
Radi