Difficult to open MDI child windows's system menu by keyboard

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mychro
User

Difficult to open MDI child windows's system menu by keyboard

Post by mychro »

Hi all,

Recently I began using PDF-XChange Viewer because Acrobat Reader has a problem about text search in PDF documents created by Microsoft Office (with 'Document structure tags for accessibility' enabled).

It's basically a very nice application and I spent little time to get used to the difference.
By the way, I like using keyboard to operate PC and from the point of view, I have one trouble.

The shortcut to open the system menu of MDI child window is 'Alt + -(hyphen)'.
But sometimes PDF-XChange Viewer won't respond but just make a warning sound.
However 'Alt (pushing and releasing) + Alt + -' works. And after that, normal 'Alt + -' works.

Could you please save keyboard lovers?

Sincerely.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Difficult to open MDI child windows's system menu by keyboard

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello mychro,

This is most likely caused by our keytips functionality, as alt + - is not a command that is bound by default, it only captures the alt keypress, and then expects you to press one of the followup keys:
image.png
I also wanted to verify, you make mention of the Viewer in your post here. Could I ask why you opted to use our discontinued Viewer, when the PDF-XChange Editor has succeeded it? I can promise that we will not be making any changes to how the Viewer works, in this respect, but if we can discern that the Editor is the cause of this, we will likely be able to find a solution for you.

I am unsure if there is anything we can do in this case beside recommend changing the keybinding for your system menu, you will likely periodically find this issue in any program that uses keytips, such as Microsoft word, windows file explorer, and internet explorer.

All the best,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
mychro
User

Post by mychro »

Oh, I didn't watch the Viewer Editor because I only knew the name of PDF-XChange Viewer from some web sites.
I still thought that 'Editor' must be a little expensive higher edition!

I uninstalled old Viewer and installed Viewer Editor right away.
Now everything goes well. (I like the PDF document icon of Viewer Editor more then that of Viewer.)

I appreciate your adavise. Thanks a lot.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com