Is installed version better than portable ?  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Clairvaux
User

Is installed version better than portable ?

Post by Clairvaux »

Mainly wondering about things like speed, features, etc.

Either would be installed on my internal disk anyway. I'm a single user with a single computer.

I tend to prefer portable versions because they leave no trace at uninstall, but I always wonder if portable does not come at the expense of something else. Even little things that might be important.

No license issues since I'm only using the free features. Windows 7 64-bit, and needing well-behaved applications in terms of high DPI awareness, since my DPI is set at 150 %. I'm a version 6 user currently, and I like the visual design of version 7, so I would like to make the jump.
BigMike
User

Re: Is installed version better than portable ?

Post by BigMike »

I guess you won't have the "Shell Extension" and the "Browser Plugins" in the portable version, as they clearly need operating system integration.
Clairvaux
User

Post by Clairvaux »

Does PDF X-Change Editor pollute one's right-click menu ? I have a v.6 installed version, and other pdf readers did, not PDF X-Change. Also, I did not find any option in Preferences relevant to that.

If you don't have/allow browser plug-ins, does that mean you won't be able to read pdf's in the browser ?
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Mine has an 'Open with...' entry on the R-click, although a double click will also open the file.
I prefer the downloaded PDF to open in Editor rather than in the browser as it's more flexible in choices and I prefer the interface.
You can choose to do this in Options - Applications in the browser (at least, with Pale Moon).
Clairvaux
User

Post by Clairvaux »

Giraffe wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:33 am Mine has an 'Open with...' entry on the R-click, although a double click will also open the file.
I prefer the downloaded PDF to open in Editor rather than in the browser as it's more flexible in choices and I prefer the interface.
You can choose to do this in Options - Applications in the browser (at least, with Pale Moon).
Mine too. That's added by the operating system, not PDF X-Change, so the latter seems well-behaved in that respect.

I'm doing a round of comparison with other pdf readers right now. Nitro Pro, for instance, has forcefully added two commands in my right-click menu, Combine Files with Nitro Pro and Convert Files with Nitro Pro. There's no option in the program to remove them, and there was no option given at install to uncheck them.

I , too, prefer my pdf's to open in PDF X-Change, rather than in the browser.

Right now I have my old PDF X-Change Editor v.6 in installed flavor, and v.7 in portable flavor, in order to kick the tyres. I have successfully transferred some settings from v.6 to v.7, although I understand toolbar customisations and keyboard shortcuts don't transfer.

So here are some subordinate questions : PDF X-Change Editor portable and installed obviously can coexist (at least in different versions), but can two different installed versions coexist ? Can two different portable versions coexist ?

And another one : PDF X-Change Editor v.7 portable does not have a Check Updates command in the Help menu, although this is supposed to be a benefit of v.7. Would that be another difference between portable and installed ? Would it be that the portable version does not have Tracker Update, contrary to the installed version ?

I saw in a KB article a recommendation to copy manually the settings.dat file in order to backup or transfer settings in the portable version. However, portable v.7 does have an Export/Import settings command, and I was able to use it even across the version frontier, and from installed to portable.

Is there a difference between portable and installed in the settings area ?

I understand the portable version exists in 32-bit only, as specified here.

Any other practical differences, for use on a internal hard disk ?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Is installed version better than portable ?  SOLVED

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello all,

In most respects the portable version is exactly the same as the installed version. The limitations being that the shell extensions evidently cannot be used (thus, are not included), and the Printers (and office addins) that are offered with the installed version are also not available (as they are virtual printers they require installation). Due to these files not being offered, the portable a fair bit smaller than the installed version.

Otherwise, the Portable is exclusively 32-bit, so some 64-bit applications may have trouble communicating with it (conversely, if you have other 32 bit software installed, this version of the editor may talk better to them than the installed 64-bit would). As for the installed version of the Editor, and its drive handling. We do use the registry for storing many settings, and they are not currently removed in uninstallation in order to preserve your preferences during updates and the like. Beyond that, some files may be leftover in the appdata folder, but these will usually only be your custom presets, stamps, and drawn signatures.

Any number of portable versions can exist at once on your PC, this can be any combination of version of otherwise, if you wanted you could have 4 installations of build 318.1, and build 328.2, as an example.

After that, yes, the portable version cannot be automatically updated, as our "tracker updater" basically compares, downloads, and runs the installers directly (no installers for portable).

As for your final question about practical uses on an internal disk, the portable may have difficulty being set as the "default" application for viewing PDF's. You can of course change this by right click > open with > always use > (path to portable.exe), but windows and the other applications on it may periodically overwrite that.

I hope this helps to make the distinction!
All the best,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Clairvaux
User

Post by Clairvaux »

Daniel,

Thank you for a very detailed and comprehensive answer.

My personal conclusion is : unless genuine portability is needed (that is, running from a flash drive), portable versions are good for exploring a brand-new edition, such a 7 compared to 6, while staying with the older edition before the jump is made ; otherwise, installed is preferable.

I suppose you can't have two different installed versions installed ?
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:04 am We do use the registry for storing many settings, and they are not currently removed in uninstallation in order to preserve your preferences during updates and the like. Beyond that, some files may be leftover in the appdata folder, but these will usually only be your custom presets, stamps, and drawn signatures.
So with the installed version, you can update without worrying about losing any sort of presets or preferences, while with the portable version, you must absolutely remember to use the Export and Import Settings command to that effect, is that right ?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Clairvaux,
My personal conclusion is : unless genuine portability is needed (that is, running from a flash drive), portable versions are good for exploring a brand-new edition, such a 7 compared to 6, while staying with the older edition before the jump is made ; otherwise, installed is preferable.
Yes, that's correct. Unless this is necessary, or unless you're attempting to save disk space, there's little point.
I suppose you can't have two different installed versions installed ?
That's correct, only one version/build can be installed at a time.
So with the installed version, you can update without worrying about losing any sort of presets or preferences, while with the portable version, you must absolutely remember to use the Export and Import Settings command to that effect, is that right ?
Strictly speaking, that's true. However we always recommend keeping a backup just in case, as the developers are only human and mistakes can be made , so there's always a possibility that the settings could be lost. To my knowledge, this hasn't happened yet though.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Clairvaux
User

Post by Clairvaux »

Thank you Will.

Splendid support as usual. Differences between portable and installed versions are one of my pet interests, and I've never been able to get as thorough an answer for any other program.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Clairvaux,

Not a problem at all! Glad we could help :)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com