Print question

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kumar
User

Print question

Post by kumar »

I have many Microsoft Excel files and each of them have a worksheet with same name. Is it possible to print to PDF using PDF-XChange printer a specific worksheet in all excel files without opening excel files?

Also, is it possible to print files (especially txt, doc/docx, xls/xlsx, jpg/png, ppt/pptx, etc.) from within windows explorer using context menu or some other way to PDF using PDF-XChange without actually opening the file?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Print question

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Kumar,

The PDF-XChange printers both require that the document be opened in an application that can handle them, so no it is not possible to print these excel files using the printers without opening excel that way. PDF-Tools is able to convert documents in bulk from many formats directly to PDF without the initial file already being open however, and it does not need to open the result file either. This would likely be the best method for you to convert these files.
Alternatively, you could use the "Office2PDF" utility that is included with our PDF-XChange Standard Printer, this utility does not offer as much control as PDF-Tools does however.

From the window explorer right click context menu it is not possible to convert a document without it opening the resulting file in the Editor. That is because the file is not saved anywhere yet, it only exists in memory within the Editor until you manually save the new PDF file.

I hope this helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
kumar
User

Post by kumar »

Thanks. Few more questions please.
1. When I use windows explorer context menu option to "Combine in PDF-XChange Editor", how can I make each of the combined files show up as bookmarks in the resulting combined PDF?
2. When I use PDFTools to merge multiple PDFs, how can I make each of the combined files show up as bookmarks in the resulting combined PDF?
3. When I use PDFTools to convert Files to PDFs, how can I make each of the combined files show up as bookmarks in the resulting combined PDF?
4. When I print a web page in browser using PDF-XChange printer, in the resulting PDF file, I cannot select text using "Select Text" menu option. How can I fix this issue?
5. Where can I download PDF manual of PDF-XChange pro and PDFTools?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Kumar,
kumar wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:18 pm 1. When I use windows explorer context menu option to "Combine in PDF-XChange Editor", how can I make each of the combined files show up as bookmarks in the resulting combined PDF?
Unfortunately, this is not possible when using the explorer context menu combine function.
kumar wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:18 pm 2[/3]. When I use PDFTools to merge multiple PDFs[/convert Files to PDFs], how can I make each of the combined files show up as bookmarks in the resulting combined PDF?
When using PDF-Tools, you can setup a custom tool to place a bookmark on page one of each converted/opened document before merging them together, this would likely be the best way to accomplish this. This KB should help you with that: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... -PDF-Tools
kumar wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:18 pm 4. When I print a web page in browser using PDF-XChange printer, in the resulting PDF file, I cannot select text using "Select Text" menu option. How can I fix this issue?
This is due to how the browser sends information to printers. Some allow for font data to be sent, while most send "Shape" information as it is more efficient for physical printers. We cannot control this and it is up to the application that is giving us information. If you wish to have text appear consistently in the resulting documents, I would suggest using our Internet explorer addin.
kumar wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:18 pm 5. Where can I download PDF manual of PDF-XChange pro and PDFTools?
The Tools manual is included in the PRO manual, which is available online here: https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxp7/
And it is available for download here: https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxp7/PDFXP7_MAN.pdf

Support@pdf-xchange.com
kumar
User

Post by kumar »

Alright, I created a custom new PDF tool and I think there may be issues with a couple of actions.
1. I added choose input files action and I set "Select folder:" as default option. When I run the first time it prompts me to select folder and it works fine. When I run subsequent time, I noticed that it retains the previous folder selection and does not prompt me to select a new folder. The help icon next to the folder browse ellipsis says "You may keep it empty to ask you for source folder each runtime", but it does not let me clear out/delete the folder field (it is disabled).

2. I have another action to merge documents and "add root bookmark with filename", but this action is not consistent because when it puts bookmark for some files and for others it adds something like "pdFnnn.tmp", where nnn are some alphanumeric characters. This does not make sense because all files have valid file names so why do only some file names end up as bookmarks while others have this random name. How can I make it to be consistent and put all file names as bookmarks and not just a few.

I thought this custom PDF tool is a saving grace and it nearly does what I want to do except for the above two issues.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Kumar,

Thank you for the feedback on this, I have reproduced the first error and reported it directly to the Dev team.

For point #2
I have not yet been able to reproduce it, but I am curious to know what kinds of files you were converting at the time. Could you possibly tell me if there is any consistency to which files this happens to? what I mean there is, do the same set of files consistently get named incorrectly like this? If so, what are some of the file names and file extensions of these?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
kumar
User

Post by kumar »

I have tested this on 225 *.xps files. I ran the same tool two times on the same set of files. Here are the results.
1. First test run: Out of 225 files, 158 processed correctly with the file name as bookmarks and the rest had temporary file name as bookmarks.

2. Second test run: Out of 225 files, 161 processed correctly with the file name as bookmarks and the rest had temporary file name as bookmarks.

I did not check each and every bookmark, but I believe both tests had different results i.e., different files were processed with correct bookmarks. This is evident from the screenshot where the second test has F_nn.xps files which are absent in the first test.
1st test
1st test
2nd test
2nd test