Page down, page up

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Flopcd48
User

Page down, page up

Post by Flopcd48 »

Hello,

I wonder if it would be possible when one hits the page sown or page up key that the next screen keeps a few pixel lines so that the last or first line of the text could easily be read in one of the two screens. For the moment, it is not the case : reading a newspaper, for instance, the bottom line of the text is cut in such a way that it is difficult to read and when the page down command is issued only the bottom of the line is seen and therefore not easily read. One as to move the screen slightly up !

Great soft altogether, thanks a lot
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Page down, page up

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Flopcd48,

what build are you using?

We did make a change like this already to the Editor. When using page down or page up in continuous mode and the zoom level is such that less than the entire page is visible, page down/up should show one line of the previous/next page to facilitate exactly this kind of reading.

then Page Down gives this:

The line "Creating a New User in SQL Server ..........................................27" is both at the bottom of the first page and at the top of the second. Are you seeing something different?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
tom@mytechwise.com
User

Post by tom@mytechwise.com »

Page Down and Page Up work as described for me (v7.0 build 328.1). However, it would be nice (and consistent) if the same change were applied to Space and Shift-Space. Thanks! :wink:
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Tom,

Thank you for the suggestion, I am not certain that the feature will be brought in, as I believe that space and shift-space have some slightly different uses, in comparison to the page up/down keys. But I have passed it along to the dev team and am awaiting a response in the meantime.

If they accept the feature request, I will certainly let you know.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
tom@mytechwise.com
User

This is unfortunate. Most popular web browsers and PDF viewers equate Space with Page Down. And, in looking at the PDF-Xchange customize function, there does not appear to be any way to map this as a shortcut.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Tom,

Most PDF Viewer equate pressed down space to 'switch back to Hand tool' just as we do, and a press and release on the space bar does work as "page down" in the Editor.
And while we allow most shortcuts to be adjusted there are a few (like the Space in question), that are hard coded and can not be changed.

Also - web pages are intended for viewing only (even if they dynamically load some content or allow you to fill in some forms), while PDF applications provide tools for directly modifying most of the content of what you see on screen - so comparing web browsers with PDF viewers will have some differences, and this is expected.

Regards,
Stefan
tom@mytechwise.com
User

Okay, just one more run at this... (Apologies for referencing web browsers; it just confused the issue).

When simply reading a PDF, the space bar works *almost* like page down. In fact, it works like page down *used* to work before the above-mentioned change was implemented. It would be more consistent if they worked the same. And this would not preclude the space bar from still performing a 'switch back to Hand tool'.

Also, just to be explicit, your biggest competitor's (Adobe) PDF reader works this way.

Thanks for considering this request. I'll now take a seat.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Tom,

Certainly, We never said it would not happen, and we certainly are looking into it. When I mentioned it to the Devs the other day they took a quick look, but had to put it on the backburner for the time being. As before, I cannot guarantee that they will make this change, but we will consider it again when we are not so busy focusing on other projects.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
tom@mytechwise.com
User

Thank you. The earlier responses seemed like polite dismissals; my apologies for misinterpreting. I believe PDF-XChange would be an even better product with this modification and hope that developer time is alloted to it when priorities allow.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

No worries Tom! We'll see what happens :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com