"Hide close button for inactive..." option

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

TheDecathlon
User

"Hide close button for inactive..." option

Post by TheDecathlon »

Thanks for these new options. About "Hide close (x) button for all inactive tabs (documents and panes)" :

When enabled, it would be helpful to have the option to show the x button on mouse hover. Currently, at least two clicks are required to close an inactive tab, because it first needs to be activated. Revealing the x with a mouse hover, would allow closing the tab with a single click.

Activating tabs on mouse hover after x seconds (user-set) would be another extremely welcome option to have. The obvious goal is to reduce mouse-clicks, time required and occasionally hand pain.

Also (I haven't tested this much admittedly), for long names/titles that don't fit in the tab and are inevitably cropped, it seems the removal of the x does bring any benefit. It would be nice to use the extra space and add those few additional characters that can fit in
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: "Hide close button for inactive..." option

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello TheDecathlon,

Middle Click can be used to close any tabs that have the x hidden without moving to the tab first.

Also, in the same window where you enable the hide Close... options, there is a checkbox to "Shrink document tabs" that is on by default. Unchecking this should give you the use of extra space you are looking for.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
TheDecathlon
User

Post by TheDecathlon »

Thank you. The Middle Click alternative is helpful but I've set it to act as Double Click... helps a lot to reduce clicking.

About "Shrink document tabs" (which is really an unimportant issue - just thought I should mention it), it doesn't seem to make any difference:
x button.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello TheDecathlon,

I am glad that is a helpful alternative, and am sorry to hear that it will not help you as much as we intended. I am afraid that it is unlikely we will be adding this function anytime soon, However I will make a note of it for in the future.

As for the shrink document tab function, I apologize, I misunderstood what you meant, Indeed it will not help with very long document names, It is actually an option to prevent those from shrinking further when the document tabs bar is filled all the way.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Is it possible to make double click an alternative to the middle click button for closing tabs?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,

It is highly unlikely, as I know not only myself, but many users commonly (or accidentally) double click when changing tabs and performing many other actions. If such a function were to be implemented it would require yet another checkbox in our (already feeling too cluttered) UI, to ensure that users like myself would not accidentally close documents, or get annoyed by constant "would you like to save" popups.

Highly unlikely, but it may still be possible. I will mention the idea around the office, But I can make no promises.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I understand. I open tabs with a single click. If I have a number of them open, I always click the tab first to look at the content before I actually close it. Just would save moving from button to button. No big deal. I thought double clicking a tab did not do anything, and just assumed everyone uses single click.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

No worries Arnold, It was a good suggestion nonetheless.
As I said, I will bring it up around the office, Who knows, maybe the Devs can come up with a better way to do it than I am envisioning.

All the best!

Support@pdf-xchange.com