Bug: wrong highlighting when cursor dragged over underlined text

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mattad
User

Bug: wrong highlighting when cursor dragged over underlined text

Post by mattad »

As I observed PDFXchange Viewer has an ugly and annoying bug when I try to highlight some text (word or sentences).

At first I enabled Highlight mode in menu

Tools--->Comment and Markup tools

Then I placed the cursor at the start point of higlighting and dragged it ("as usual") to the endpoint of highlighting.
This works as long as the highlighted text does NOT contain any underlined text.
As soon as I include underlined text the highlighted text becomes unpredictable. Oftentimes suddenly whole paragraphs or highlighted.

Unfortunately I cannot attach screen recording files with .mp4 extension in this posting/forum. So download *.mp4 from here to see what I mean:

https://www107.zippyshare.com/v/wSEBaJeA/file.html

This is clearly a bug in PDFXchange Viewer (under 64bit Win7). Since I want to highlight oftentimes underlined text this is annoying.

Could you fix this in the next release?

Thank you
Matt
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Bug: wrong highlighting when cursor dragged over underlined text

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Matt,

I am afraid that the Viewer is discontinued and development for it now only covers critical security patches. Looking at this video, it seems to be an issue with the document structure however, and not necessarily the application. Could you verify if this happens in any other application, such as our PDF-XChange Editor (which succeeded the Viewer) or send us a copy of this file for testing?
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
mattad
User

Post by mattad »

Hello Daniel,

the same bug appears in PDF Xchange Editor as well.

Have a look at the attached pdf file.

Matt
testfile wrong highlighting XPDFviewer.pdf
(329.77 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello mattad,

Looking into this document, It is indeed as I suggested, the document itself causing these issues. Not only our Editor, but also Adobe and foxit show this issue. Inspecting the document, it was created by an "eDocPrinter" Could you try recreating this document from the original source using our PDF-Xchange Lite printer?
DMKB18November818.png
If you look at the diagram below, you will see how the document tells the computer to read the file:
DMKB18November819.png
The two underlined sections here are setup specifically so that to get to them the computer has to read straight through all the other content before they can be reached, Which is causing this issue for you.

Recreating the document with our printer should resolve the issue, alternatively, you should be able to cut the text from these "paragraphs" and insert them into the bulk text "paragraphs".
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
mattad
User

Post by mattad »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Recreating the document with our printer should resolve the issue.
Hello Daniel,

this is NOT the case!
I installed PDF-XChange Printer Lite and printed out the web page again.
Have a look at the second, attached pdf file.

And again highlighting does not work (neither in XChange Viewer nor in XChange editor).
I cannot believe that this should be standard handling of underlined text.
So its either a bug in Viewer/editor or in XChange printer driver.

I suggest to find and fix this bug.

Thank you
Matt
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Mattad,

This problem does seem to be with the web page itself!
I've tried opening it in IE, and 'printing' it to the MS XPS driver - you can see in the attached archive the .oxps result. You can drag and drop that over the Editor - and it will be converted "on the fly" to a PDF - and the structure of the file still remains like this - the bulk of the text is higher in the tree structure than the underlined sections, and that's why when you then use the highlight it works strangely, and it does work strangely not only in our Editor.
So if we can reproduce the issue without any of our products being involved - then I am afraid there isn't much we can do here.

Please just test with another page and you will see that the results will certainly be different.

Regards,
Stefan
Attachments
test1.zip
(497.94 KiB) Downloaded 130 times