Word add-in: How can I prevent ".dpdf" from being added ahead of the filename extension

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PDFer
User

Word add-in: How can I prevent ".dpdf" from being added ahead of the filename extension

Post by PDFer »

I have updated my Tracker software, and now have a problem with the Word add-in.

The filename for the generated pdf file is of the form FILENAME.DPDF.PDF. How can I block the ".DPDF" part from being added?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Word add-in: How can I prevent ".dpdf" from being added ahead of the filename extension

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello PDFer,
I must admit I have never seen an issue quite like this, could you please send us a sample of both the Original word document, and then resulting PDF file for testing on this end?
If they contain sensitive information,you can email them directly to support@pdf-xchange.com with a link to this thread.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PDFer
User

Re: Word add-in: How can I prevent ".dpdf" from being added ahead of the filename extension

Post by PDFer »

The attachment feature wouldn't accept docx files, so I have sent the files to you in an email. Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello PDFer,
I have received the files, and am uploading them here in a zipped folder so that I don't lose them.
Oddly, I was able to reproduce a similar issue, but not exactly the same. When converting the file with the addin my document has .docx.pdf instead of .dpdf.pdf
I am going to confer with the dev team to look into the cause of this.
Attachments
sample files.zip
(380.27 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

Yeh, I got the docx thing added in there initially, too. But I must have changed something in my Tracker preferences that makes the dpdf happen now.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello PDFer,

Might I ask you to generate .tmp files for us to investigate this issue? This article should help with that: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... -I-do-this
Note: If the Office Toolbar Addin was used to create the PDF file then there will also be a file in the format pdfXXXXX.xml. These are the files we need for this case.

Also, while you are doing this, you will open a window that looks like the second screenshot in the article, if you click on the About tab during this step, it will tell you the version and build number currently running. That will be helpful information for us as well.

Thank you!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Thank you for the email PDFer,
We have received the files and I have passed them to the Dev team for investigation.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Mr. Nice Guy
User

Post by Mr. Nice Guy »

Hi,

same problems here with the latest version of Office 365. Really annoying and not acceptable for a paid program!
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

What exactly is not acceptable? That it does not behave like you expect or that a bug may be present that is currently investigated and may thus be fixed in the future?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi All,

And thanks for your input.
As Daniel has stated above - this has been passed along the chain and is being looked at!

Regards,
Stefan
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

Hi Daniel,

I hope you can remind the Devo team to take a look at this problem and fix it. I now have a couple of hundred filenames to go through to remove the ".dpdf" that occurs before the filename extension (and more accumulating daily). Quite frustrating, and it seems it should be easy locate the bug.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello PDFer,

I will check with Daniel what's the status of this issue, and when we can expect it to be fixed, and we will post an update here shortly!

Regards,
Stefan
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

PDFer wrote:Hi Daniel,

I hope you can remind the Devo team to take a look at this problem and fix it. I now have a couple of hundred filenames to go through to remove the ".dpdf" that occurs before the filename extension (and more accumulating daily). Quite frustrating, and it seems it should be easy locate the bug.
For the time being, PowerShell is your friend:

Code: Select all

Get-Item *.dpdf.pdf | ForEach {Rename-Item $_.Name $($_.Name.Replace(".dpdf.","."))}
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

Thanks. I hadn't heard of PowerShell before; just checked it out and it is very interesting. Will try this later today.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello all,

I've just finished speaking with the Dev team on this matter and it seems that they had implemented a small change to the to try and mitigate the issue while they work on a complete fix. We apologize that it did not work. They intend to have a full fix in place for the 328 release, but were regretfully unable to implement the full rework of the needed files prior to this.

Best Regards.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

PDFer wrote:Thanks. I hadn't heard of PowerShell before; just checked it out and it is very interesting. Will try this later today.
PowerShell is a very mighty tool. Did you use the default command line "cmd.exe" before?
For most commands are aliases in PowerShell, so it's easier to switch...

To switch the drive/directory you can use

cd <Directory>
or

Set-Location <Directory>
Execute the line

Get-Item *.dpdf.pdf | ForEach {Rename-Item $_.Name $($_.Name.Replace(".dpdf.","."))}
in the directory where you're PDFs are located.
It will get all files which end with .dpdf.pdf and rename them replacing ".dpdf." by ".".
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

I have been unable to install. I keep getting a message that I have to install something else first, but when I do that the installer says that is already installed. (Using Win7 x64.)
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

PowerShell 2.0 should be included in Windows 7, but I'm not sure if my one liner works in 2.0...
PowerShell is based on .Net Framework, so you'll need .Net Framework 4.5 or above for PowerShell 5.1. Afterwards install Windows Management Framework 5.1 (which includes PowerShell 5.1).
If you only like to rename your files and do nothing else:
Put this in a batch file:

@echo off
for %%i in (*.dpdf.pdf) do call :RENAME "%%i"
goto END

:RENAME
set nameHelper=%1
ren %1 %nameHelper:.dpdf.=.%

:END
and run the batch within the folder where you're files are located. Less elegant, but does the same...
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the help Big Mike!
While we work on getting the original naming issue sorted!

Cheers,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

One of the many free bulk rename tools that come with a GUI and are easy to install (yet not necessarily easy to use):

https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Thanks for the workaround option timur!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Mr. Nice Guy
User

Post by Mr. Nice Guy »

I can't believe that it takes months to fix this problem, if there are capable developers...
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

On Friday 26 Oct. 2018, in this thread: "They intend to have a full fix in place for the 328 release":
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=31605&p=129908#p128669

In another thread, it is announced that the V7.328.0 will be released within a few days:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=31572&p=129777#p129777

Hopefully good news ...
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello All,

I am working with our latest RC build currently, and can certainly vouch that it appears to be working correctly 328. We are delaying the release a little bit to resolve one critical issue, but as soon as that is fixed the build should be available for download.

Regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

I just installed the new build (v7-328), and that fixed the problem for me. Thanks Tracker!
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello PDFer,

We are glad to hear that your problem is resolved.

Regards.