"Show save as dialogue" not working

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Netmine
User

"Show save as dialogue" not working

Post by Netmine »

Hi!

We are running Xchange V7 lite (7.0.326.1). When using the X-Change PDF printer we always have the "Show save as dialogue" unchecked.
This because we often print multiple drawings from Autodesk Revit to PDF. This has been working fine up until lately. Now when we print to the X-Change PDF printer the "Save As"-dialogue appears after every file even though we have the "Show save as dialogue" unchecked. Sometimes we print up to 50-60 documents at the same time so this function really speeds things up for us.
Any help in this issue is appreciated.

Best regards
Peter
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: "Show save as dialogue" not working

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Peter,

Do you have the "Path:" and "File Name:" fields populated (they are immediately under the "Show 'Save As...' Dialog" checkbox)?

Regards,
Stefan
bsv-bjgu
User

Post by bsv-bjgu »

We have the same problem since last update. Very frustrating. Path and file name are filled in. (Path: C:\Users\username\Documents File name: %[DocName])
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Myself I am not able to reproduce this issue with similar Path and File Name settings in "PDF-XChange Lite" Free printer, build 327.0.

Before updating PDF-XChange Lite from build 326.1 to 327.0 I have done a uninstall.

Maybe you should just - via Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners > PDF-XChange Lite > Manage > Printing Preferences > Save - turn the check-box "Show 'Save As...' Dialog" ON and click OK, followed by clicking again Printing Preferences > Save and turn the check-box OFF again, and OK.

Also verify what you have set for "When File Exists" ...
Did you set this to 'Always overwrite' or something else?

Do the above settings help?
If not, posting a print screen of your 'Save'-settings could be helpful.

Regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello everyone!
There is logic behind this, worry not. As the driver is a "Printer" the default settings are application dependant, things like page size, resolution, margins, etc. are handled by the application in question. With that being said, some applications simply do not store this information, so keep it between sessions, and some only during the current session.
As an example, Thunderbird and Firefox both forget all these settings after each print job, conversely, notepad will remember them. As these applications evolve, the functions they offer are sure to change, and we try out best to assist that.

We do also have methods of circumventing this, Those rules only apply to the "Default settings" profile. If you are to create a new profile and set it as the default for the driver, then you can consistently, across applications and sessions, have the same results.

To do this, First Open the windows control panel and find "Devices and printers". Then locate the "PDF-Xchange Standard" printer (in some cases windows 10 may call it PDF-XChange Office2PDF).
Depending on the version of windows you are running do one of two things
- Windows 10, click the printer, then click manage, then printing preferences
- All Prior versions of windows, right click the printer, then click printing preferences

Make the changes to your custom printer profile and in the top right area, click the save as button (to the left of manage).
name and save this profile, then select it and click Apply.

After closing this window, the next time you open the print dialog, and choose the standard printer, it should default to the new profile youve applied with the desired save settings intact.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
bsv-bjgu
User

Post by bsv-bjgu »

Willy: I've tried your suggestions but no good.

Daniel: I can't find the dialogue with the save profile option. I have changed the settings for the printer both in "Devices and printers" and in Revit and it's saved and still correct when I reopen the settings.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi again,

Once you have customized the profile to your liking, you can find the "save as" button in the upper right corner:
DMKB18October431.png
Then just click apply and that profile should be used by default when using the Standard Printer in all programs for the future.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
bsv-bjgu
User

Post by bsv-bjgu »

Hi Daniel!

Thanks for the reply. Turns out I don't have the Standard printer only the Lite, the one included in PDF-XChange Editor and in Lite I have only a few options and I don't find any Profile option. The options under Save is the same though.

Sincerely
/Björn
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello bsv,
with the Lite printer, The save setting should be able to be modified even in the default profile using the method I mentioned before. Just make the changed from the windows "printers and scanners" dialog, and the click apply. It should retain that for other applications.

Hope it helps!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
bsv-bjgu
User

Post by bsv-bjgu »

Unfortunately that doesn't help. I have changed the settings both there and inside the application. The changes are accepted, it shows up correct when reopening the dialogue but still doesn't work.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello bsv,

I am unsure why this is not working correctly for you. Can you please verify that you currently have build 327 of the lite printer installed? You can check this from the Lite printer properties > about:
DMKB18October453.png
DMKB18October453.png (38.35 KiB) Viewed 4088 times
If it does not match build 327, please update the software.
Can you please also open the Save category while you are in the preferences, and send us a screenshot of the settings you are currently using (like the example in my prior post).
I should also ask, have you restarted the Lite printer and the program you are printing from, since making this change? If not please restart those, or restart the PC (just to be certain) and try again.

Failing at both of those, I will suggest reinstalling the software:
1. Please uninstall anything that is published by Tracker Software
2. Download the appropriate latest versions of the software from our Downloads page: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads
3. Once you have finished the installation, go back into the Windows "Devices and Printers" area and modify, save, apply, the changes once more.
4. Finally, please restart the PC, let us know the results.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
bsv-bjgu
User

Post by bsv-bjgu »

Thanks a lot!

I had version 326.1 which I updated to in September but now with build 327 it seems to work again, fingers crossed. Thank you very much!

Sincerely
Björn
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Björn,

We are glad to hear that. :-)

Regards.