Mouse Click Questions

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Puffolino
User

Possibility to search for all elemets of a certain object type?

Post by Puffolino »

Thanks for all your efforts - also to the rest of the team!

I do not use the Editor very often, but I really like it. Beside some special wishes (like selecting or searching for specific objects, as mentioned above) I only miss one simple thing: when clicking on a page within the 'Content' window, I would like to see this page in the main window as well :)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Possibility to search for all elemets of a certain object type?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Puffolino,

Thanks for this latest remark. A single click will select the element in the content pane, and a double click will take you to the page. Also - if you click any of the actual objects on the page - you will again be taken to the page in question with the element highlighted.

Regards,
Stefan
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Interesting, didn't know the double click thing, but already a single click on an object "jumps" to the page, isn't it?
A double click on a page itself expands the content tree, but doesn't show it in the main window. An single click which synchronize the main window but keeps the content tree collapsed would be cool as well :-)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Puffolino,

A double click for me both expands the page's content tree, and takes me to the page in the main viewing area. If it does not do the same for you - can you please check if you are using build 326.1?

I will suggest the single click request - but given that a double click already does it - I can not comment on whether it will be approved.

Regards,
Stefan
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Stefan,
I am on 326.0 at the moment and will add the missing 0.1 as soon as possible ;-)

I saw that a double click on a page entry has synchronized the main window view some days ago, but now there's no chance to reproduce that. Wondering if there's an option I missed or it depends on other parameters (PDF file, page layout, etc.)
But the more I am testing, the more other things are found: In the document property dialog, not all form gadgets (form elements) have set a tabstop flag, that means it is impossible to jump to certain settings by using the keyboard only (for example I never get to 'Initial View/Page Layout': Ctrl+D, Down, Down, Down, Tab, Tab, Tab, Tab,....).

After having done the update to 326.1 (or will be 326.2 available within the next few days?), I repeat testing my mouse buttons :-)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Puffolino,

Thank for looking into the latest version, any feedback on it helps :)
While we dont plan on releasing a 326.2 build, (326.1 has been fantastically stable) we do hope to have build 327 available sometime during october.

Have a great day!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Hey Daniel,
meantime I've installed the latest version but with no change:

Single or double click on any object selects the item and show it in the main window (this also works when holding shift or control)
Single click on a page deselects all elements in the main window, nothing else happens
Double click on a page expands/collaps the content tree, deselects all elements in the main window, and again nothing else is done in the main window.

Hope that helps.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

In order for a double-click on the content tree to take you to the page you have to double-click *very* quickly. And I mean very very. Expanding a sub-tree doesn't need such fast clicking, which is why things get so confusing.
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Timur, not sure if you own 'Speedy Gonzales', but my old mouse is too slow for that trick :shock:

...so why not using the same action (a single click) as with all other objects - nobody should need mice on steroids to jump easily to a specific page. :roll:
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Puffolino,

I must say I have never heard of a mouse that limits how fast one can double click. I myself am using a regular mouse from staples here as it feels most comfortable in my hand, but have no issues double clicking fast enough to jump to the page. To be honest, until Timur mentioned it, I didn't know it was possible to open a page via a double click without also jumping to the page (I've just been using the dropdown arrows personally).

As for why a single click action does not jump to the page, That would be because not everyone wants to jump to the page immediately upon clicking it, and a double click is the most natural way to specify that you want to follow/open/execute something.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

You have to click a little bit slower than Windows' fastest possible double-click mouse control panel setting. And while I mention it, this Windows setting is respected by Editor where expanding a sub-tree is concerned, but not when switching pages. So if you set the Windows mouse double-click to its fastest setting then you can perform a double-click speed that will switch the page, but not expand the sub-tree.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

This topic was migrated to its own from an original post here:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=31423

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Re: Mouse Click Questions

Post by Puffolino »

Okay, shouldn't make more jokes about mice...

1. double click on pages: it doesn't work here. I checked by doing two clicks within 1/1000th (see below), expanding is done, nothing else.

Code: Select all

Procedure Click()
	mouse_event_(#MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTDOWN,0,0,0,0)
	mouse_event_(#MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTUP,0,0,0,0)
EndProcedure
veryveryshort=1 (ms)
Click()
Delay(veryveryshort)
Click()
2. About the single click dilemma: a single click on an object also changes the main window, this could also be problem for some users - anyhow the behaviour is not consistent, which is not perfect (at least for Mr.Monk and me). Maybe an option in the preferences (or a function button in the content window) could change between "select only" and "select and synchronize" for a single click on pages and objects. I know, not the most important thing, but maybe you can think about it somewhen...
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

For testing try to set Windows' double-click speed to its fastest setting. This way when you manage to expand a sub-tree you know that you clicked fast enough (even faster than enough). If you still do not see the page being displayed then something is wrong about your installation or setup. Which Windows version is this?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestion Willy,

Puffolino - please do let us know if the above helps, as well as which build are you using!

Cheers,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Willy isn't here. :P
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Awww! My apologies Timur!!!

He had posted in a couple other topics - so I got 'carried away'!

Cheers,
Stefan
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Did everything proposed, but I am sure you all know the results: no problem to do the fastest double click by my own - expanding/collapsing is done but nothing else...
...but this was clear after simulating a 1ms double click as seen above.

As I am using a portable installation, I also renamed Settings.dat before starting the editor - a lot of things changed (function bars etc.) but one thing is still the same: the double click behaviour. Next week I'll try it on another PC (Windows 10), mine has Windows 8.1. And I also did the update some days ago to have the latest version 326.1 - I also tried both 32 and 64 bit.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

That certainly is very odd behavior, 1ms clicks should be far faster than is necessary to jump to and open the page content.
In my tests anything around 0 - ~300ms spacing between clicks still registers as fast enough for it to respond. Is there any possibility that you have a background utility that is interfering?

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Hm, don't believe so - there's nothing special on my computer, just an antivirus program (Avira) in the background, that's it...
...on monday, I'll check the portable installation with the same settings on a different PC, then we'll see if the problem has to do with my windows or my PDF XChange Editor installation.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Alright, Keep us posted on anything you find. Ill keep trying to replicate the behavior over here too.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Tested my portable version using an USB memory stick on a Windows 10 PC now and the double click leads the main window to show the chosen page. The same program on my notebook (Windows 8.1) still does nothing on the main window...
...no idea what's going on, double click must be definitely recognized, otherwise the content wouldn't be updated correctly. Not sure, if the program is checking windows events, like WM_LBUTTONDBLCLK, or checking the button state directly, like GetKeyboardState(VK_LBUTTON)...
...if any further testing is needed, I'll do.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Puffolino,

Thanks for sharing your findings that this works differently under Windows 8.1. I have now requested a colleague from the dev team to take a look here, and as soon as I have any further news - I will post them here.

Regards,
Stefan
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi All.

We will investigate this trouble. Also about:
... A single click which synchronize the main window but keeps the content tree collapsed would be cool as well
- this behavior will also be implemented in the new build.

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

C :) :D L
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Puffolino,

The next build will be available within this month, so check for updates frequently. :-)

Regards.
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Phantastic - thanks to the whole team for the marvelous support!
Thanks to the msi packages, updating of the new 327.0 release was done within few seconds - and since that even my mouse seems to smile when selecting page by page... :D
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)