Shortcut key not working

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rtsaboya
User

Shortcut key not working

Post by rtsaboya »

Hi there!
I cannot, for the life of me, get the shortcut key to work. I'm trying to set ctrl+shift+H to the highlight text tool. The dialog warns me of a conflict. I remove the shortcut from the other command, but the shortcut does not work.

I also tried setting Alt+H, which has no conflict, to no avail. I pressed the Assign button and the shortcut does appear in the Assigned box. On the other hand I successfully assigned a shortcut to the Add Sticky Note command.

Am I doing something wrong?

If it helps, I have the PortableApps version 7.0 (build 326.1) of PDF-XChange Editor in Windows 10.

Thanks in advance!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Shortcut key not working

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello rtsaboya,

Thank you for reporting this, The Ctrl+Shift+H combination is reserved for our autoscroll function, but if it is removed should work correctly for others as well. There are a number of highlight functions available, it is possible you have bound the combination to one of the alternatives.
To ensure you are binding the key to the correct tool, the simplest method is to (with the customize UI panel open) right click on the tool in question and click Properties:
DMKB18September305.png
This will open the correct panel to activate the tool as if you clicked on it here.
In testing I accidentally choose the Highlight text command, instead of the highlight text tool command, and also found that it did not seem to work. after reading the descriptions of the options, I realized why that was.
DMKB18September306.png
I hope this helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
FrederikS
User

Post by FrederikS »

Hi there,

I have similar problems and I am very frustrated (to say the least). I assign keys but they do not work. In the Viewer I could simply "overwrite" the keys. I assigned my keys, was asked if I want to remove them from the former bindings and everything worked. Please add the same utility here!

Regards
Frederik
rtsaboya
User

Post by rtsaboya »

Daniel,
That solved the problem. Indeed, I was assigning the shortcut to the wrong tool.

Thank you very much!
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

:)
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Glad to hear it helped you as well Derrils!

And welcome to our forums!

Regards,
Stefan
rtsaboya
User

Post by rtsaboya »

On a related note, I am having another problem with shortcuts.

I have ctrl+H assigned to the Hand Tool. It works great most of the time, but when I type a new Sticky Note and press ctrl+H, it opens a "Paragraph options" dialog.

If I press ESC from within the Sticky note or change its location or size, the shortcut works as expected, but if the text field is active, it opens the dialog.

how could I make it ignore the "Paragraph options" and just put me back on the Hand Tool? I tried to find the "Paragraph..." command in the Customize toolbars dialog to remove the shortcut, but apparently it isn't there.

Thanks again in advance!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello rtsaboya,

Some shortcuts are hard coded and can not be changed (e.g. press and hold the space bar to switch from any tool to the hand, or tap the space to 'scroll' down the document), and you will usually need to select a different shortcut for your custom tool if such a conflict occurs.

Regards,
Stefan
rtsaboya
User

Post by rtsaboya »

Ok, that will not be a problem.

Thank you very much again.

Cheers.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
FrederikS
User

Post by FrederikS »

FrederikS wrote:Hi there,

I have similar problems and I am very frustrated (to say the least). I assign keys but they do not work. In the Viewer I could simply "overwrite" the keys. I assigned my keys, was asked if I want to remove them from the former bindings and everything worked. Please add the same utility here!

Regards
Frederik
Any news on this? I.e. is there a way to circumvent that I need to delete the key assignments first, before I can assign them new?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello frederiKS,
Yes and no, you are able to bind most key combinations to another command (assuming they are not reserved commands like Ctrl+P), but it will not remove the pervious binding automatically. This may lead to unpredictable results, so it is still recommended to remove the previous bindings as well.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
FrederikS
User

Post by FrederikS »

Could you not implement a mechanism similar to the PDF Xchange Viewer? There, a warning is issued that all key-bindings will be removed if processed. Or perhaps you could add an option to make it the sole key-binding, so users can decide. Currently I switched back to using the viewer instead...
Attachments
PDF Xchange Viewer Solution (German)
PDF Xchange Viewer Solution (German)
Clipboarder.2018.10.03.png (7.67 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello,
I don't see why not, I have submit a formal feature request on the matter for you:
RT#4513: FR: Keybind "remove old bind" function

Have a good day!

Support@pdf-xchange.com