Temporary File Names

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

steve.thresher
User

Temporary File Names

Post by steve.thresher »

Hi,

Is there a pattern to the temporary filenames created in the windows temp folder while a PDF is being generated. A customer of ours is having performance issues and would like to exclude them from the anti-virus product they are using. The filenames I've seen by using Process Monitor from Sysinternals are:

pdfSaver6.exe,C:\Users\steven\AppData\Local\Temp\p4sFEE7.tmp
pdfSaver6.exe,C:\Users\steven\AppData\Local\Temp\pdfFF17.tmp
splwow64.exe,C:\Users\steven\AppData\Local\Temp\pw4FE7B.tmp
splwow64.exe,C:\Users\steven\AppData\Local\Temp\pw4FE7C.tmp
splwow64.exe,C:\Users\steven\AppData\Local\Temp\pw4FE7D.tmp
splwow64.exe,C:\Users\steven\AppData\Local\Temp\pw4FE7E.tmp
splwow64.exe,C:\Users\steven\AppData\Local\Temp\pw4FE7F.tmp
splwow64.exe,C:\Users\steven\AppData\Local\Temp\pxcFE6A.tmp
pdfSaver6.exe,C:\Users\steven\AppData\Local\Temp\pxc*.tmp

Thanks,
Steve.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Temporary File Names

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Steve,
Accoding to this article https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... -I-do-this the file should be named as such:
The .tmp files will be in the format pxcXXXX.tmp, pxpXXXX.tmp or pxvXXXX.tmp, where XXXX is a hexadecimal number of 1-4 digits. If the Office Toolbar Addin was used to create the PDF file then there will also be a file in the format pdfXXXXX.xml.
Beyond that, I am curious, if these temp files are not being used, why are they still generating them? If they are noticing a performance impact from these files, I would recommend simply disabling this function from windows. The article above details how to do this.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
steve.thresher
User

Post by steve.thresher »

Thanks for that. I really don't believe the performance issues are related to the temporary file creation but our customer does and, as they say, "the customer is always right!". :roll:
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Steve,

It is technically a possibility given that Windows is fairly notorious for slow-downs when the TMP has lots in it. However your description suggests that's probably not the case. I'm not sure how the antivirus relates, but if the TMP files are there then they're obviously being created successfully and not being quarantined, so I wouldn't expect the AV to be doing anything with them more than any of the other files in the %tmp% folder. If it were, it would (should?) be issuing warnings or just outright quarantining them (which would affect performance, but in the sense that it likely wouldn't be able to print).

Can you describe the performance issues in more detail?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
steve.thresher
User

Post by steve.thresher »

The majority of prints are produced at the same speed (10-15 second) but every so often one will take over 40 seconds. The documents that print slowly aren't any larger and it doesn't happen at a set time of day. The customer is just trying to eliminate anything that could slow down the print process so we've given them the component names from yours and our software and also the temporary file names to rule out AV.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Steve,
Just following up to check in on your client, If the AV or tmp files were the cause, we would be glad to hear it, If not, keep us posted on their findings!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Steve,

as far as we can tell this is an intermittent issue on the user's system which causes some printing to take longer than the rest. It does seem to be specific to that one machine and there is very little, if anything we can do about it I am afraid.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com