*Editor wish list*

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bob_sun
User

*Editor wish list*

Post by bob_sun »

I would also like to add two to wish list:

1. Allow editor automatically start in multiple instance (like viewer)
2. When opening multiple documents in one instance, the thumbnail preview cannot be used. Please fix it.
3. The current “proximity” options are superb comparing with other PDF readers, this is a big attraction. Could tracker add regular expression (Boost library’s Perl style) support or at least wildcard (?*) to search?

Bob
PeterPan
User

Re: *Editor wish list*

Post by PeterPan »

Hi,

1. is already possible: Open two documents and then drag & drop one document outside the editor.

Best regards
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Peter :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi bob_sun,

Thanks for the post - I'll answer each point in turn:

1) While PeterPan's suggestion is currently the only way to do this, the next build (308) has the ability to select the option to allow Multiple Frames, similar to the way that the Viewer did.

2) This is working fine for us here and I've not heard this reported before. Please keep in mind that the Thumbnails Pane must be enabled/disabled on a per document basis, unless this is set as the default view. If that's not the issue, then please make sure that you are using the latest build by downloading and running the following installer:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE3.zip

3) I believe that this is something that we're looking at implementing, but I would have to double check that with the Development team. If there's not already a feature request in, I will place one.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
bob_sun
User

Post by bob_sun »

Hello,

Could you confirm if regular expression search has been added in this week's release?
  • Additionally, could you give me some general informaiton about Tracker's SDK:
    Who use them?
    If programmers can implement any function with these SDK, then can they make their own builds themselves? Can they build their customized needed functions without depending on Tracker?
    What is the developing environment (IDE)? Does Tracker provide those codes in source code or DLL/LIB mode?
I do not want to write PDF readers myself. Just being impatient.

Bob
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi bob_sun,

It's not been added to this coming release, but it's something that the Devs. feel they can implement for a later release.

As far as using the SDK goes, it's limited to what our libraries allow and the features that are implemented in it. For the most part, this is the same as the End User version, though the SDK's obviously do allow for some extended functionality, provided that user's know how to access said functionality. Search by Regular Expression hasn't yet made it into any of the SDK's either.

Hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
lknowlton
User

Post by lknowlton »

Hi,
Any word on the drag and drop between two open pdf's feature request?
Thank you!

Larry
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Larry,

you should already be able to drag and drop between frames as long as there are no security restrictions in the document itself. You ca:

1. Drag thumbnails from Thumbnail Pane to Thumbnail pane and position it at any location in the document.
2. Drag supported file types from Explorer (images for example) to the thumbnails pane at a location of your choice and a new page with the image content will be added to the document
3. Drag support file types from Explorer to the Editor main window and a new document will be opened with that content.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
lknowlton
User

Post by lknowlton »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Larry,

you should already be able to drag and drop between frames as long as there are no security restrictions in the document itself. You ca:

1. Drag thumbnails from Thumbnail Pane to Thumbnail pane and position it at any location in the document.
2. Drag supported file types from Explorer (images for example) to the thumbnails pane at a location of your choice and a new page with the image content will be added to the document
3. Drag support file types from Explorer to the Editor main window and a new document will be opened with that content.

hth

Hi Paul,
Ah, nice! Does that mean the feature request no longer on the table? I've been spoiled by the old eCopy Desktop 9.2 software, which let you visually drag n drop a page from one open pdf frame to another open pdf frame (side by side or over and under).
Thank you!

Larry
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Larry,

sorry about that, I guess I wasn't terribly clear. When I said
I should have said in the same or another open document/frame. Having said that now I think that this is the same as:
visually drag n drop a page from one open pdf frame to another open pdf frame (side by side or over and under).
The thumbnail pane has a thumbnail of each page in a PDF. You can visually drag a selection of pages from one open document to another. It will insert the pages into the target frame/document but not remove them from the source. Perhaps that's what you are looking for?

I hope I haven't missed the point here.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
lknowlton
User

Post by lknowlton »

sorry about that, I guess I wasn't terribly clear. When I said
I should have said in the same or another open document/frame. Having said that now I think that this is the same as:
visually drag n drop a page from one open pdf frame to another open pdf frame (side by side or over and under).
The thumbnail pane has a thumbnail of each page in a PDF. You can visually drag a selection of pages from one open document to another. It will insert the pages into the target frame/document but not remove them from the source. Perhaps that's what you are looking for?

I hope I haven't missed the point here.

regards
Hi Paul,
I fully understood what you said and was able to perform it as you described. I should have been more clear.
What the old eCopy does is allow you to see multiple thumbnail views at the same time and drag n drop between them. Would that be possible?
Here is a screenshot of what I mean: http://snag.gy/xkHU9.jpg
Thank you for your replies!

Larry
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Larry,

you can arrange the various windows in the editor to do effectively that. Do either of these layouts work for you?

and

BTW, those are thumbnails, I just created some new documents with blank pages and numbered them. In both cases I opened the Thumbnail tabs and dragged them to fill the entire window obscuring the main document window.

I think that is what you are looking for, you can drag and drop between documents this way, hold the shift key when dragging to move otherwise it copies pages.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
lknowlton
User

Post by lknowlton »

you can arrange the various windows in the editor to do effectively that. Do either of these layouts work for you?
Yes the second one especially, but I'm not sure how you got them side by side like that.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Larry,

Click on a tab and then go to Window -> Active tab to a new vertical/horizontal group.

Regards,
Stefan
lknowlton
User

Post by lknowlton »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hi Larry,

Click on a tab and then go to Window -> Active tab to a new vertical/horizontal group.

Regards,
Stefan
Nice! That's perfect! You all are on top of the list of software to replace our old eCopy!
Thank you!

Larry
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
lknowlton
User

Post by lknowlton »

Hi Guys,
One other thing our old software can do is create stamps from within the software. Within an open pdf, click and drag a selection box around something (ie a handwritten signature) and make it a stamp. Please see the image at http://snag.gy/FxT0A.jpg for a better idea of what I mean. I know images can be imported and all, but it sure is a handy feature to be able to create a stamp within the program! Could this be added or is it already possible?

On the wouldn't it be a really really cool thing wish list: Could this feature be made to create transparent stamps (gifs), so that the PDF in the background is fully visible behind the stamp?

Thank you!

Larry
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Larry,

While not a 1 but 2 step process - you can do the same with the Viewer/Editor.
Select the snapshot tool, and select the area you want to make a stamp from. Then go to the stamps palette and click the "New from Clipboard..." option.

Regards,
Stefan
lknowlton
User

Post by lknowlton »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hi Larry,

While not a 1 but 2 step process - you can do the same with the Viewer/Editor.
Select the snapshot tool, and select the area you want to make a stamp from. Then go to the stamps palette and click the "New from Clipboard..." option.

Regards,
Stefan
Hi Stefan,
I tried your steps, but From Clipboard is grayed out. Am I missing something? I went into paint and pasted it, so it is on the clipboard. This was in the Viewer. The Editor stamp palette worked with the clipboard icon.
Thank you!

Larry
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Larry,

Please make sure that you are using the latest build by downloading and running the following installer here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE5.zip

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
lknowlton
User

Post by lknowlton »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Larry,

Please make sure that you are using the latest build by downloading and running the following installer here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE5.zip

Cheers,
Ah, installing the latest viewer fixed the grayed out From Clipboard issue! So, create stamp fuctionality from within has been answered as well! Awesome!
Thank you all!

Larry
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
winkelmann
User

Post by winkelmann »

I am still waiting for the feature "search with wileddcards"... (version 7.0 Build 325.1)
Goetz
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello winkelmann,

Thanks for bringing this up! I am afraid that for the moment this feature is not yet available, but I will check with our devs where in the ToDo list it is!

Cheers,
Stefan
winkelmann
User

Post by winkelmann »

Thanks. Hope there you'll find it...
Goetz
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

dasy2k1
User

Post by dasy2k1 »

Classic view...

as in back to the v6.x style view rather than the current MS office ribbon clone which adds 4 clicks to switch between the tools i use the most instead of 1!
(i now have to go from Home tab, to comment tab, select the comment type i need, then go to the commenting format tab then back to home, over and over again!)
before our IT department forced the update i could get to everything i needed from the main view, with the appropriate formatting commands popping up under the main toolbar as soon as i selected a tool.

please please bring this window layout back (as a switchable option would be fine) as the new version is so much worse for efficiency
dasy2k1
User

Post by dasy2k1 »

Never mind, ive just found the button to change it and its much better now
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Dasy,

Glad to hear you found it!
Enjoy using our products!