Optimization Differences Compared To Chrome

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

abcjme
User

Optimization Differences Compared To Chrome

Post by abcjme »

I have a txt file that's 4.06 kb: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zsege77429174z/9.txt?dl=0

Chrome conversion:
9-chrome-conversion.pdf
(17.69 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Chrome conversion optimized:
9-chrome-optimization.pdf
(19.35 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
PDF-Tools conversion:
9-pdf-tools-conversion.pdf
(4.21 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
PDF-Tools conversion optimized:
9-pdf-tools-optimization.pdf
(3.78 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
The PDF-Tools converted file is much smaller than the Chrome conversion.
The PDF-Tools converted optimized file is smaller still, and is even smaller than the original txt file.
The Chrome converted optimized file is even bigger than the non-optimized version.

It's unfortunate because Chrome converts spacing characters more accurately.

Optimization setting used is "1": https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rkqle8xvu0cr ... .pdts?dl=0
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Optimization Differences Compared To Chrome

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello abcjme,

PDF Files can use compression - and when your text document is the same character over and over again - this normally compresses quite well.
If it was a longer file - the PDF we create would compress even more relative to the original size of the .txt file.

As for why Chrome makes the file bigger - it has embedded the font - and this uses up space.

Regards,
Stefan
abcjme
User

Post by abcjme »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello abcjme,

PDF Files can use compression - and when your text document is the same character over and over again - this normally compresses quite well.
If it was a longer file - the PDF we create would compress even more relative to the original size of the .txt file.

As for why Chrome makes the file bigger - it has embedded the font - and this uses up space.

Regards,
Stefan
I changed the optimization settings to "Unembed all fonts". The Chrome converted optimized file still ends up bigger.

On a side note, changing a circular option in "Fonts" doesn't open up the option to Save Current Settings, if that's the only change you've made.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello abcjme,

I can not comment on why Chrome does things the way it does - even despite your settings!
I can try and help with the Editor, and it does seem to be producing the smaller files already ;)

Where is this "Circular option" you refer to? Can I get a screenshot illustrating it?

Cheers,
Stefan
abcjme
User

Post by abcjme »

I can not comment on why Chrome does things the way it does - even despite your settings!
I can try and help with the Editor, and it does seem to be producing the smaller files already ;)

Where is this "Circular option" you refer to? Can I get a screenshot illustrating it?

Cheers,
Stefan
Clarification here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/97ud0w0r4oczr ... s.mp4?dl=0
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello abcjme,

Thanks for the video.
The PDF file format is quite complex, and there could be a lot of information that will increase a file's size without this adding any visible content on the page(s) of the resulting document.
Unfortunately I do not have the tools that e.g. our dev team has to 'dissect' the chrome file and see what is different than the file we produce, but I suspect it's e.g. some metadata that they add.
If our tools were producing the larger files - I would be happy to pass those on to the devs to look at why we produce the worse result, but when our products are doing the better job - I am not in a position to comment on why Google are not doing it as well as we do ;)

Regards,
Stefan
abcjme
User

Post by abcjme »

Thanks for the video.
The PDF file format is quite complex, and there could be a lot of information that will increase a file's size without this adding any visible content on the page(s) of the resulting document.
Unfortunately I do not have the tools that e.g. our dev team has to 'dissect' the chrome file and see what is different than the file we produce, but I suspect it's e.g. some metadata that they add.
If our tools were producing the larger files - I would be happy to pass those on to the devs to look at why we produce the worse result, but when our products are doing the better job - I am not in a position to comment on why Google are not doing it as well as we do ;)

Regards,
Stefan
Ah, kk, understood.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

:D
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com