excel to PDF autofill

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

phones and stuff
User

excel to PDF autofill

Post by phones and stuff »

HI all,

I am looking for a solution and wondering if xchange can do this or if there is at least a way around.

So I have an excel workbook that contains multiple sheets with info
I can create a sheet that will auto copy the info I need to one place
But the next step is where I need help

I have to transfer all this info from the excel worksheets to a govt PRF form

What I have been doing is -
I created a front page that I inserted as page 1 in front of the official form. Then I use the editor in xchange v6 to insert a text field
Say "full name" text field here I type the name into this field and then I insert other text fields in the 37 places on the form where it asks for the full name of the person. Name all those text fields in property the same as the one on the first page and the names copy.

This is fine

but Is there a way that I can either import the info from Excel into that first page or save that page in excel as a pdf and have it save as a form that will still work the way I described above?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: excel to PDF autofill

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello phones and stuff,
I am afraid that importing the content of an excel document directly into the form fields would not be possible at the moment.
The main method to import information to form fields is through the use of FDF files, which excel cannot currently export its data to as far as I could find.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
phones and stuff
User

HMM THanks for the reply though I think you're wrong on the excel part as it CAN BE DONE with the combination of EXCEL and Acrobat
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2069492

I was hoping you had solution
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello phones and stuff.
I apologize for my earlier statement, I was testing using CSV as my file format, but did not think to close excel while testing. Thus I was unable to get it to work, and made a false remark.
Apparently excel cannot have the document in questions open in order for the Editor to read these files, but it certainly is possible using CSV (which excel can export to!).
Much like in the thread you've linked above, simply ensure that row 1 contains the names of the form fields, and row 2 contains the desired data. At the moment, we do not offer a selection interface to choose lines beyond row 2 for alternate data. then you need only navigate to the form tab, and click Import Form Data, and select the desired file.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
phones and stuff
User

HI,

I am jumping back into this because I wanted to see if there was now a working solution. Reading your above post makes sense but it doesn't seem to be working.

Just to go over the facts again so we're clear.
I am currently using version 6.0 build 322.4

using excel 2013 I created a sheet which on row one
has the titles; name, dob, social, street, city, state, zip, phone, email

I then save the sheet as book1.csv

Open xchange and create a new doc called book 1 .pdf

use text to list the above names - name, dob etc.
next to the text I create text filed using edit form and name each field as name, dob etc.

Save doc

CLose all docs.

Open pdf doc - go to forms tab Manage Form data /Import open file window pops up, I go to desktop which is where I saved the CSV file, BUT IT IS NOT visible there for me to be able to select!

What am I doing wrong? Also do I /should I upgrade to version 8 to make it easier?
lev
User

Post by lev »

Did you change file type to CSV?
Attachments
image.png
phones and stuff
User

my 6.0 versions do not have the same options as you show.

in the mainline under all supported files, mine ONLY shows .xfdf and .fdf
on the rest of the drop drown I only have XFDF or FDF I do not have plain text or CSV options at all!!!
Attachments
XCHANGE.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Phones and stuff,

Unfortunately CSV import for forms was a relatively new addition to the software, and I do not believe that any version 6 builds supported it. If you are wanting to perform these imports, I would suggest updating to the latest version of the software to take advantage of this function.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com