"Insert Pages" Bug ?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

HaPe
User

"Insert Pages" Bug ?

Post by HaPe »

Hello

I have two simple pdf-files that contain interactive form fields.
The file "1.pdf" already contains some information written into the form fields the file "2.pdf" does not.

1.If I insert 2.pdf into 1.pdf some information of 1.pdf is "copied" over to 2.pdf.
2.If I insert 1.pdf into 2.pdf the information in the form fields of 1.pdf is gone.

This does not happen if I use the "combine files" option.

I just updated to the latest version of PDFXchange Pro 326.1 but I had the same problem with 326.0.

HaPe
Attachments
Files.zip
(200.2 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: "Insert Pages" Bug ?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello HaPe,

Some of the field names in both forms are the same. So when you insert pages from 2 to 1 - the form fields are copied, and for those with the same names - the information already entered is shown in the second copy with the same name.
When you copy the page from 1 to 2 - the form fields are copied, but not the data - that's why the fields appear empty. But if you now write in any of the two instances of the field with the same name - the other one should get populated as well.

When I use Combine Files - I observe the same as before - if file 1 is before File 2 in the list of documents to be combined - I get the information preserved and already displaying in both, and if I have file 2 first - the info is gone, but if I fill in the field on one of the pages - the other one also changes.

Regards,
Stefan
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Hi Stefan,
thanks for your explanation - I knew why I put a question mark behind "Bug"........

I only use form fields in a very basic manner.I didn't realize that there are or could be dependencies
from one page to another.Indeed - as you wrote - almost all form fields in both pages have identical names.
So thanks to your information I now understand what was going on and tested it myself by entering data
and seeing them "copied" to the other page.
Regarding "combine pages".I wasn't aware that the form fields were flattened by default and I then mistakenly
thought "combine" works differently to "insert"....

In future I will have to take more care when inserting/combining pages with form fields......
Thanks again !

HaPe
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com