PDF-Tools v7 crashes after clicking on anything...

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

msys
User

PDF-Tools v7 crashes after clicking on anything...

Post by msys »

Hi,

I've recently bought the whole 'Pro' package - and I'm extremely glad I did! - but I have a hard time using its PDF-Tools.

Below are the steps to reproduce the bug; I've successfully reproduced this on VirtualBox machine with Windows 7 Ultimate (Polish) x64 on a 'clean' snapshot (without any trace of any of your products):
- install PDF-Tools 7.0.326.0 via 'ToolsV7.x64.msi' installer
- select the 'free' version and 'complete' variant (for simplicity), everything else set to default
- start the PDF-Tools
- select the 'Advanced (3)' tab on the left
- click on the three tools on the middle pane
- after a few clicks - one click on each tool is usually(?) enough - PDF-Tools will crash
- sometimes - right before crashing - it will save its config. Afterwards, after restart it opens the 'Advanced (3)' tab by default and then I cannot use anything at all (!) as it crashes after clicking on almost anything (restoring the settings from file is also impossible, it crashes right before restoring).

The ONLY workaround I've found (so that I can use PDF-Tools at all) is to then delete the registry branch with PDF-Tools settings with regedit.

This renders PDF-Tools extremely inconvenient to use, otherwise it is a great product.

Please advise.

Regards,
Michał Skrzypek
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: PDF-Tools v7 crashes after clicking on anything...

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Msys,
I've so far been unable to reproduce this locally, I will be looking at this in more depth over the next while, and will wirte back if anything come up.
Until then I would like to ask for a few items from you.
During installation, could i ask you to enable logging, this KB details the process for that:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... or-Support

Following that, when the program crashes does it hang, or immediately close?
If it hangs, please also create a process dump for us, following this article:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... estigation

Following that, please email support@pdf-xchange.com with the files. If they are created too large to be an attachment, please compress and upload them to our useruploads server with an appropriate name: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... ile-server
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Vladimir G - Tracker Dev
User

Post by Vladimir G - Tracker Dev »

Hello, Michał!

Is that crash could be reproduced only on virtual machine? What version of PDF-Tools are you running? Do you have the Print Document tool in Advanced category? If you have it, could you please try to avoid clicking on Print Document tool and look whether application will crash?

Regards,
Vladimir
Vladimir Goshko
Software Developer
Tracker Software Products
msys
User

Post by msys »

vmgoshko wrote:Hello, Michał!

Is that crash could be reproduced only on virtual machine? What version of PDF-Tools are you running? Do you have the Print Document tool in Advanced category? If you have it, could you please try to avoid clicking on Print Document tool and look whether application will crash?

Regards,
Vladimir
- this is a problem on my physical machine (Win 7 Pro x64), I've reproduced this on a virtual machine to rule out other software interfering
- as I've stated above, the version I'm using is 7.0.326.0
- you're right in that clicking 'Print Document' is causing this problem - I've clicked multiple times on the 'Change Document Properties' and 'Send E-Mail' tools and nothing happened; only after clicking 'Print Document' the crash occurs (1-2 seconds afterwards)

Regards,
Michał Skrzypek
msys
User

Post by msys »

Ok, so I've created and sent both logfile and crash dumps (two, just in case) to the support mail address.

Fingers crossed :). In the meantime, I'll be avoiding the 'Print Document' tool - every other tool is not crashing upon selection.

Regards,
Michał Skrzypek
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Msys,
Thank you, we have received your email and I have forwarded the files to the development team for investigation.
We will return here once we have identified any information pertinent to this issue.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com