Problem to sign with PDF-Change Editor from our document management

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

v.stimpfl
User

Problem to sign with PDF-Change Editor from our document management

Post by v.stimpfl »

Hello,

In our company we use Docuware for the document management. I open a PDF in docuware and with edit it start X-Change Editor the path of the document is "C:\Users\stip\AppData\Local\Temp\Edit\cov1tina.3ni\test.pdf" Now if I try to sign the document with our signature device it lost the path and give me to save the
document on the Desktop. I sign and the File is sign correctly but on my Desktop. But for the document management is important that the saved file is in the same path...
The program wait for upload the signed file on his database.
I try a few tests:
- If I open a Pdf from our document management and I only edit the file, write a text or apply a stamp with X-Change, I can save the file in right place, he not lose the path.
- If I open a Pdf under my normal File System, I can sign with our signature device and X-Change Editor not lose the path.
- I try to sign with the signature device from the document management with the FOXIT Reader, I see that Foxit does not respond for one moment and later he can save the sign document in the right Folder. Also with Adobe Acrobat I can sign.
I think the timeout is to short and X-Change move to another Folder, where he can write.

Can I change the timeout or the write trys for X-Change Editor?
Can I set X-Change Editor that he overwrite always? Or he not show the warning?

We have about 200 users in our Company and we want replace the Acrobat Reader with X-Change Editor.
I hope someone can help me, thanks!

Veit Stimpfl
Italy
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Problem to sign with PDF-Change Editor from our document management

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello v.stimpfl

Currently there is an ongoing feature request to add this functionality, It was intended to enable our SharePoint plugin to have this functionality, however I will add a point to the ticket for you as well to cover docuware, hopefully we can see this in the near future.
#4333: Sharepoint plugin does not allow save to sp on signature placement.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
v.stimpfl
User

Post by v.stimpfl »

Hello Daniel!

Thanks for your quick answer. I like your product realy and we want to use it in our company.
But for us this feature is a must.
I can wait but not so longe. :wink:
Please contact me, when u implement this new feature, or u have another solution for me.

Thanks again!

Veit
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Veit,

Yes absolutely - we will get in touch as soon as there is any new info in the ticket!

Cheers,
Stefan
v.stimpfl
User

Post by v.stimpfl »

Hello Daniel and Stefan!

Is there any news about the Integration?
We wait urgently.

Thanks a lot!

Veit Stimpfl
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Veit,

I can see that a work item was created, and the ticket assigned to a developer, but other than that there's no further news that I can share.
It's a thing that we will work on, but I do not have an estimated date yet on when it will be fixed.

Regards,
Stefan
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello All,
I am pleased to announce that this ticket has been marked as resolved, and should now be functional in build 326.1. If you are not up to date, please click Help > Check for updates, or download the latest version here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
v.stimpfl
User

Post by v.stimpfl »

Hello Daniel,

I tried again to sign in the same way with the new Version and PDF-Change Editor lose again the path and jump to the Desktop.
I tried also to deactivate all plugins, but the same.
Maybe we need a special Docuware plugin... :D

I hope you find a solution, thanks for ur time.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello,

I am afraid that the Editor cannot save to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp - such as when signing documents. Please try saving the document locally before signing. The Editor should offer you the original document path provided the following setting is used (File> Preferences> Documents) :

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi all,

Just to add to what Patrick has said here - C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp is a restricted location with limited read and write access (although Windows Security Settings do not reflect this).

When a file is saved to the %Temp% folder (such as when opening a PDF when downloading, instead of saving first), an app will be then able to read from (open) that file, but not save any changes. This is because the temp folder is meant, quite literally, as temporary storage and the file should be purged from disk as soon as it's closed. Any changes that would be written to it are therefore obsolete and so Windows forces users to re-save a local copy. In practice, the purging doesn't always happen on exit and occasional clean-ups of the %Temp% folder are necessary.

So given that, I'm afraid that Patrick is right and we cannot really add this functionality; it would also be considered extremely bad practice of us to do so.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
veit.s
User

Post by veit.s »

Hello, I give u a download link for a manual with picture that i have written.
So u can see how we sign a document from Docuware with the Adobe Acrtobat.

https://wing.wobi.bz.it/redirect/pdfsign.html

With the FOXIT Reader to sign is more easier that with the Adobe Acrobat.
Foxit not respond for one moment and later he can save the sign document in the right Folder. (like I have written in my older post)
But I want to use in the future for my Users ur product.
But the signature from the document management must be ok!

Thanks a lot. I hope we find together a solution.

Veit
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Veit,

There are two real scenarios here:

1) The Document Management System is using our SDK to integrate our software. Given your description and the fact it's working with other apps, this is unlikely.

2) They're using one of our browser plugins (Internet Explorer COM plugin, or the NPAPI plugin).
1) The Document Management System is using our SDK to integrate our software. Given your description and the fact it's working with other apps, this is unlikely.
In this scenario, it's not up to us to determine how the saving is handled. This is up to the developers using our SDK, so we cannot help at all.
2) They're using one of our browser plugins (Internet Explorer COM plugin, or the NPAPI plugin).
This is the more likely of the two, and is quite common. However, even here, even if we wanted to make changes in this regard, we may still be limited by the DMS.

For example, when Internet Explorer has Protected Mode enabled, we do not get to choose where to save the document - By all appearances, to the user, it looks as though they're pressing 'Save' in our browser plugin and browsing to e.g. My Documents to save the file. However, upon going to My Documents, they will notice the file isn't there. This is because Internet Explorer creates a virtual directory when Protected Mode is enabled, that mimics the directory structure of the file system. We have no control over that at all. There's a chance that the DMS has ultimate control and final say over where the files are saved. Though again, this isn't necessarily likely given your description.

By ultimately, the fact still remains that saving to the %tmp% (%temp%) folder is not, in anyway, good development practice irrespective of what other companies are choosing to do. We're inclined to listen to Microsoft's standards on this matter. A file in %tmp% is only supposed to 'live' as long as the lifetime of the handle on the file. When the handle is released by the application, the file should be purged. Any document that is needed beyond the lifetime of that original handle (with some notable exceptions) should not be stored in the %tmp% folder. This is especially true if you intend to alter the file beyond its original state.

As I mentioned before, the %tmp% was in the most literal sense of the term, designed only to be used for the temporary storage of files - if that were not the case, there would be no point in setting up something as complex as environment variables (complex on an operating system level, not user-interaction level) to deal with this location.

** Edit**
It's also worth noting that the browser plugin wasn't designed to work that way - It's designed for use in browsers, to view PDF documents and make *temporary* markups. If any permanent changes need to be made in browser, the user is required to save a local copy. If you open a PDF in Internet Explorer, then make changes, unless you've opened the PDF on the web-server that's storing and have write access, then the changes cannot be saved to the orginal document, hence why a local copy must be made. This is the use-case that was intended for the browser plugin.

So, with all that in mind, this really needs to be handled from within the DMS, not by us. I strongly suspect that the DMS has a setting to determine the default save location of documents so that it doesn't use the %tmp% folder anymore. In reality, this shouldn't be a default save location and why this was selected by the DMS is anyone's guess - most apps default to My Documents, C:\, or Downloads. In the case of the DMS, it might make sense for them to setup their own storage directory (e.g. C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\DMS).

If the DMS doesn't have a setting to change the default save location, it would be extremely weird given that its entire purpose is to manage documents on the file system. In that case, you'll need to contact that them. Having spoken with colleagues here, we're all in agreement - We're not going to change to save in the %tmp% when it constitutes poor practice.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com