Formatting Bookmarks [SOLVED]

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bawldiggle
User

Formatting Bookmarks [SOLVED]

Post by bawldiggle »

In older versions of Free Viewer (on expired PC) I could change a bookmarks appearance (font) color, bold, italic ... of individual bookmarks.

In the free Viewer version I have on this newer PC ... bookmarks I create cannot be formatted via Bookmark Properties.-> Appearance
- both Style and Color controls are disabled, so at some stage they were/are available.
Free Viewer: v2.5.322.7 (11-Aug-2017)

:?: Do the same limitations apply in Free Editor and Paid Editor :?:
  • I have appreciated being able to use the Free Viewer for several years but now I am making more use of PDFs and am ready to buy Editor + Tools combo
    • Fiddling with various programs and online converters is a case of hit or miss when trying to create, and particularly edit PDFs
      I am wasting too much valuable time with a pandoras box of bits and pieces

The sticking point with Editor, for several years has been the ribbon was/is a critical space hog on laptops.
    Somewhere (I think) I read Editor offers optional Toolbars UI now :?:
Thank you for your patience :)
Last edited by bawldiggle on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free PDF-XChange Editor since 12-Aug-2018
Free PDF-XChange Viewer for too long
... cautiously testing Editor
• Win-7 PRO 64bit | Win-7 Home 64-bit | Win-7 Home 32-bit ... fiddling with Linux Mint too
• ClassicShell GUI
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Formatting Bookmarks

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello bawldiggle,

Could you please send us a screenshot of what you see at your end,
and if it is possible an example file, so we can offer the best solution for your problem?

Regards.
bawldiggle
User

Post by bawldiggle »

Hi Dimitar,

The PDF was created by PDF-XChange Lite (v7.0 build 324.3 ... 27-Feb, 2018)
source a Thunderbird eMail dated today. ... (not an .eml file)

Perfect conversion all objects present and correct, except the bookmark "Top" that I created cannot edit the bookmark (font, color, weight)
IMAGE http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=623 ... 2753675708
using Free PDF-XChange Viewer v2.5.322.7 (11-Aug-2017)
• Win-7 PRO 64bit | Win-7 Home 64-bit | Win-7 Home 32-bit ... fiddling with Linux Mint too
• ClassicShell GUI
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi bawldiggle,

Thanks for the screen-shot, however we'll need the sample PDF document too so please do send one if possible.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
bawldiggle
User

Post by bawldiggle »

• ClassicShell GUI
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi bawldiggle,

Thanks for that - This works perfectly in the Editor, so I'd recommend that you switch to the Editor here, as no further changes are being made to the Viewer.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
bawldiggle
User

Post by bawldiggle »

Thank you Will for your reply :)

Where can I download (URL) the free version of Editor. All I can find is "free download" which has nothing to do free version.

Regretfully I am not in a position to buy anything, the embarrassment of being 73 and depending on social security.
Just when I think we can afford the $100 AUD medical issues sabotage "our" plans
• ClassicShell GUI
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi bawldiggle,

I'm sorry to hear that! I'd always thought the healthcare in Aus. was more like the UK and Canada? If not, perhaps a revolution is needed :wink: Having said that, sometimes private is the only viable option. I know I've been there personally, when public healthcare was too slow. All the best there!

No worries though, there's no need for a license here - This is a free feature of the Editor. We actually don't have separate installers for Free/vs. licensed software, how the software functions is determined simply by the presence/absence of a license key. The direct download link is as follows:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE7.zip

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
bawldiggle
User

Post by bawldiggle »

Thank you Will for your kind words :) :)

I downloaded and compared Viewer with Editor based on the same PDF file

Sorry to report the Editor toolbars are not classic toolbars, I am still better off with Viewer for screen real estate.
2018-08-10 Viewer vs Editor.zip
(253.95 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
IMO Editor toolbars are just a variation on the ribbon theme.

Is there any way I can "compact" the Editor toolbars in height ?
In customize mode I tried dragging toolbars items but they don't drag ... :cry:

Also how can I disable "hints" and just live with icons and captions the hints very quickly become "nags"

Note:
Just discovered Tracker forum will not let me drag and drop the ZIP file, the forum program shows an alert assuming I want to leave the page
I had to browse to the ZIP file
• ClassicShell GUI
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thank you Will for your kind words :) :)
Of course! :)
Sorry to report the Editor toolbars are not classic toolbars, I am still better off with Viewer for screen real estate.
That's exactly right - We were responding to the modernization of other apps here, and we had a ton of requests to implement it. However, we also had a large number of requests to keep the classic toolbars, so that was left in too. You can switch to the classic layout here (top right of the Editor Window):

These toolbars can then be customized in essentially the same way as the Viewer.
Also how can I disable "hints" and just live with icons and captions the hints very quickly become "nags"
These can be turned off under View --> Customize Toolbars in the Classic UI, or by right clicking the Ribbon and selecting Customize Toolbars there. It's found under the Options tab:
Just discovered Tracker forum will not let me drag and drop the ZIP file, the forum program shows an alert assuming I want to leave the page. I had to browse to the ZIP file
I've never tried that before. I'll see if there's anything our web devs can do about that.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
bawldiggle
User

Post by bawldiggle »

I did use "Switch to Classic Toolbars"
did you see the comparison images in my ZIP file on post #9 ?
- the images are a bit rough because I had to reduce them to 80% to make them more manageable
• ClassicShell GUI
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Sorry bawldiggle, I completely missed that ZIP folder! I see what you mean - Take a look at this GIF:

The red circles signify a left click.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
bawldiggle
User

Re: Convert from Viewer to Editor ... at last

Post by bawldiggle »

I finally got it :oops: :)

Found the very extensive PDF-XChange/Tracker-Software Knowledge Base . . . . . :shock: :D

The trap I had fallen into in Editor Classic Mode was the setting for Show text in toolbars ... as Enabled (it should have been Disabled)
- no wonder I couldn't get the Editor toolbars thinned down :oops:

In Editor: RClick (in any empty area of toolbars -> Customize Toolbars -> Customize Toolbars (dlg) -> Options (tab) -> [ ] Show text in toolbars

By dragging the toolbars up ( the GIF in your previous post) and well illustrated in the How do I Customize toolbars in the Editor Editor Classic layout now has a small desktop layout, just like Viewer

Thank you for your patience over the past years (3 or 4 yrs ?) while I waited for a slim Editor GUI

This will be my last thread in Viewer forum ... I am now a v.happy convert to Editor :wink:
• ClassicShell GUI
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Formatting Bookmarks [SOLVED]

That's awesome news, glad to hear that! :D Hope you enjoy the Editor :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)