Is there a way to fill out all pages with numbers in PDF

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

budi
User

Is there a way to fill out all pages with numbers in PDF

Post by budi »

Is there a way to automatically fill out all pages in a PDF file with page numbers from a certain actual PDF page up to the end ?
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Is there a way to fill out all pages with numbers in PDF

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

You can do this via the Document-menu or the Organize-ribbon, and then using "Header and Footer" or "Bates Numbering" > Add...

There you can choose where to put the page numbers (in the Header or the Footer, at the Left, at the Middle (Central), or at the Right), by clicking in one of the text boxes. Click on the [...] icon, to get a list of available variables, like "Page Number". You can type additional prefix or suffix characters in the text box(es) if you like.

At "Appearance Options" you can set the distance from the border.

Via the "Page Range Options" button, you can set which pages you like to number.

Click OK to launch the numbering.

If you do not like the result, you can easily remove the numbers via "Header and Footer" or "Bates Numbering" and "Remove All".

Best regards.

NOTE: Detailed information in Tracker Software Knowledge Base:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... ions-in-V7

-
Attachments
Add Bates Numbering.png
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks again Willy :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
budi
User

Post by budi »

I still didn't get, the actual PDF page number 15 till the end, need to be filled with number 1 consecutively til the last, what I got was it's filled with number 15 til end.
How to do the displacement ?

Thanks so much after and before..
Willy Van Nuffel
User

It seems like with the current tools there is no perfect solution possible to start with (for example) number "1" from page 15.

1) Via "Header and Footer" and the %[Page] macro, there is no way to set a starting number (except for a higher one, NOT for a lower one).

2) Via "Bates Numbering" and the %[Bates] macro, you can set a starting number, but you can not reduce the number of leading zeros.
The minimal number of digits is 3 (via PDF-XChange Editor).

Technically, it should be possible to use only 1 digit (read this: http://blogs.adobe.com/acrolaw/2009/06/ ... _of_digit/).

To achieve this in PDF-XChange Editor, a change in the applications' code will be needed.
Using a trick like %[Bates:1] does NOT work in the current version.

If you can live with this (= at least 3 digits), then solution number 2 is the best I can offer with my knowledge.
Attachments
Add - Bates Numbering.png
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

You could also use the following workaround:

Let's assume your document has 22 pages and you want to start with page number "1" on page 15.

1. Split your document between pages 14 and 15
(Usually first you will have to set a bookmark for this on the place where you want to split. Then you can continue via Document --> Split Document --> Split by top-level Bookmarks [hopefully you have no other top-level Bookmarks])

2. In the second document (= pages 15 to 22) you can add now page numbers in the normal way
(Document ---> Bates Numbering --> Add)
Now your second document will have page numbers beginning with "1".

3. Combine again the splitted documents* (via File --> New Document --> Combine Files into a single PDF)
*) In my test after the splitting procedure the first document was not reduced to its splitted part (pages 1 to 14) as one would expect, but kept all the pages (= 1 to 22). So before combining I had to delete first the pages 15 to 22 from this document.

I mentioned just the basics of the three steps - in practice the procedure is a little bit cumbersome. But I tried it by myself and it works.
Last edited by Peter 123 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

It is a workaround, but it is indeed a good idea !

:-)
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

You think so, Willy? Thanks for the compliment. :D
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello All,
Willy - thank you for the workaround.

We are discussing this internally and have concluded that there seems to be a bug with the start page number in the header and footer dialog that disables starting Page1 on sheet 15 (for example).

The development team is currently investigating this issue. We will post back here once we have some news regarding this function.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks Patrick for your answer.

1) also a word of thanks to Peter 123:
Workaround number 2, the idea of splitting up the document to apply the numbering to the second part, was not mine ...

2) can you please ask your developers team "two" things:
- possibility to start with page number 1 on a random page via Header and Footer
- possibility to start the numbering of pages with only 1 digit (instead of three) via Bates numbering
(I do not know what it would do if only one digit is specified and the numbering passes from 9 to 10. Will it automatically use two digits ?)

Best regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi all,
Willy, weve spoken with the Dev team about the headers/footers, they are investigating the behavior for us.
On the topic of bates numbering, I have created a feature request for this:
#4382: FR: BatesNumbering down to 1 digit
Have a good day!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com