Sticky Note and Stylus: (1) Crash and (2) Context Menu

For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Forum rules
For users with issues, or feature requests, on touchscreen devices.

DO NOT post your license/serial key, or your activation code - these forums, and all posts within, are public and we will be forced to immediately deactivate your license.

Please specify the specific name of the product in question, the Version and Build, then the issue/feature feature:

i.e.

PDF-XChange Editor, Version 5.5 Build 315.

Description of issue/request: "................."
wonderose2
User

Sticky Note and Stylus: (1) Crash and (2) Context Menu

Post by wonderose2 »

1) Trying to edit a sticky note already created leads to an immediate and sudden crash of the software.
Having observed the matter over the last two or three weeks (with a string of crashes), it appears to me that operating the scrolling on the right hand side of the sticky note may be the ultimate trigger. To be more precise, it is the touching of the scroll thumb using my stylus that brings about sudden death. Another possible trigger may be the copying into the sticky note of some rag-tag material stemming from my internet browser. Yet, with this, I couldn't reproduce the issue. In case of the scroll thumb, however, reproducing was no problem.

2) Press-and-hold-action with the stylus
A second issue that I have using my stylus is that I can't open the context menu with a press-and-hold-action. Instead, in the Editor, on long pen press nothing happens at all. In Microsoft Office, this works flawlessly. And no, "switch to pencil tool with digitizer" in preferences is not checked.

Lenovo Helix 1st generation
Windows 8.1 x64
Version 7.0, Build 325.1
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Sticky Note and Stylus: (1) Crash and (2) Context Menu

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Wonderose2,

For the first problem,
We have seen an issue like this crop up since a recent windows update; this is so far exclusive to users of our 325 and 325.1 builds of the software. We have an experimental registry fix, however it disables much of the Touch functionality, so in your case I would not recommend it, If you do decide you want it I can provide this though.
Normally your would never hear us say this, but right now I would prefer to suggest rolling back to a previous build; one such as build 324.3, which so far no one has had this issue with. An installer for that version is available here: http://www.docu-track.co.uk/builds/7.0. ... DFXVE7.zip
** Note that you will have to uninstall the current version of the software before running this installer.

For problem #2.
Depending on the stylus you are using the right click context menu may open instead with the thumb button, please confirm that this alternative does not work for you. If that does not work, please inform if it works after the rollback as well. To my knowledge we did not change anything in touch/stylus functionality between these versions, however something else may be affecting them.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

A final addition,
If this roll back does not solve anything, could I ask to perform a Remote session with one of our developers so that they can investigate these issues and hopefully find the cause?
If so please follow these instructions to prepare, and send us an email to support@pdf-xchange.com informing as to such. We will then arrange a time to perform that session with you.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... e-an-issue

Support@pdf-xchange.com
wonderose2
User

Post by wonderose2 »

Thanks a lot for these two very speedy replies!

1) Thanks for the option to revert to an older version of the Editor. I have nonetheless decided to stick with the present version. Still, I will have to avoid the toolbar of the sticky note at all cost. Yet, I hope that you will be able to fix the issue at some point.

2) By the way, every time I uninstall or reinstall or even update the Editor I have to renew my customized toolbar. Is there a way to save the shortcuts and commands of the toolbar (as there was with the Viewer)?

3) Yes, opening the context menu using the thumb does work. However, even with some practice, I often press something accidentally, such as "Add Bookmark" or "Search" instead of "Add Sticky Note". Thus, I believe, for a stylus user this option is no more than a stopgap.

4) I already had a remote session with your developer. That was back in 2015, when you didn't have any tablet devices yet. The issue then was the same: 2) Press-and-hold-action with the stylus.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Wonderose2,
1) I too hope at some point we will be able to solve that issue.
2) On saving toolbars, these settings should not be lost between updates anymore, aside from major version changes (IE: V6 to V7) however if you are ever worried, or if you now have them setup in a way you would like to easily revert to, you can certainly sav them by using File > Export settings, and them running the opposide File > Import settings function later/after an update.
3) you may have options available for your stylus, as we only interpret when a "Right click" command has been sent, advanced stylus's such as yours typically override the defaults for a right click function.
4) As far as my tests have taken me, using our testing Surface tablet, both with an advanced stylus, a cheap stylus, and simply using my finger, a long press has indeed one of the options for right click. (the Microsoft stylus works as your currently is as well). As such, It seems this right click functionality is commonly handled by the app to which the stylus is tied, may I ask what brand and model your stylus is so that I can help you with some more research on it when I have a moment, as you do not wish for another remote session.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
wonderose2
User

Post by wonderose2 »

2)
Thanks!
And yes, I might worry too much.

3) and 4)
To me, my stylus doesn’t seem to be that advanced. It is this one:
https://support.lenovo.com/de/de/solutions/pd027341
I can also happily report that with Foxit PhantomPDF and Adobe Acrobat Pro there are no difficulties in triggering the context menu using the stylus above. It opens very smoothly, and I can choose from the options available without pressing anything by accident.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi wonderose2

It appears that we do not change any defaults with how a stylus is handled, so we use the windows default handling for your stylus at all times.
After speaking with the dev team they informed me as such, we may look into forcing these functions of there is enough demand for it. Could you check the windows stylus settings menu's for options that could manage this function in alternative programs (there should be two or three depending on your model, I would test, but I do not have access to your specific stylus at the moment)? Apparently Microsoft still cant decide which program will manage devices...

Let us know if you can find anything in those menus that affects it.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
wonderose2
User

Post by wonderose2 »

I don't think I can really help you along with this. What I can do on my machine, by tweaking the settings, is very much limited. I can calibrate the stylus, I can control the sensitivity, I can determine the amount of time it takes to trigger the context menu, I can have visual feedback of the use of the pen (I chose not to have it), and I can change the version of the driver. Thus, it is mostly about speed and precision.

Interestingly enough, there is also a possibility to mute the stylus button. I can, furthermore, add some gestures with which to speed up actions like copy or paste. I unchecked both, the stylus button as well as the gestures. However, having told Windows I did not want to use the stylus button, it is still very much usable with the Editor. As for Foxit PhantomPDF and Adobe Acrobat Pro, it is quite the reverse. There, as intended, the stylus button doesn't work.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

That is very curious indeed,
Ill be informing the development team of this thread and your recent discoveries. Thank you for looking into it for us, as currently my ability to test this is limited to a surface tablet with the Microsoft stylus.

Have a good day, and hopefully we will have a fix available soon.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Moinghard
User

Post by Moinghard »

Hi,

since I started xchangeviewer today there is the problem, that the screen ist scrolling when I move my Lenovo Active Pen 2 in vertical direction with pen-function on. This also happens when screenshot-mode is on.
Moving the pen in horizontal direction works normally.
Pressing the second button on my pen makes it possible to write but that's really annoying.

Could you please help? I need to write easily, really. Thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Moinghard,
For your first issue, I assume you meant it is scrolling when moving the mouse vertically? If so this is intended, unless you have selected something other than the Hand tool, the stylus should "grab" the page so that you can pan around it as you please.
As for the second point, the pen will by default use the same tool that is selected by the mouse, or your fingers as a touch device. This can be modified to become the pencil tool when using a digitizer from the preferences menu (Ctrl+K):

Support@pdf-xchange.com
wonderose2
User

Post by wonderose2 »

I have just tested the new PDF XChange Editor 8.0, build 330.0. Or, more to the point, I tested one particular functionality. I was looking for improvements with some issues I personally have had for a very long time, namely a number of problems pertaining to the use of a stylus and the use of a touchscreen.

Well, I do have to say that there a no betterments whatsoever and, what’s more, that there have not been for a long time. Thus, for my part, I can’t say that I am happy.

I have two gripes, in particular.

(1) As opposed to previous versions (a long time ago), I can’t scroll the search results using the two-fingers-swipe (or, for that matter, the stylus). Thus, no scrolling up and down with your fingers within the entries of the search box.

(2) Furthermore, there is still no use trying to open the context menu with the stylus. It just won’t work.

I thought I might write this just to remind you of those users of your software who have computers with touchscreen and stylus.

-----
Lenovo Helix 1st generation, Windows 8.1.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Wonderose2,

To my knowledge we have not offered touch scrolling in a previous version of the Editor, however it is still something that we are looking into for the future. I apologize that we could not bring this to you in a more timely manner.

Opening the context menu with the stylus should be doable with a long touch, however this will not work when the "switch to pencil with digitizer" option is enabled, as any touch, short or long, is considered as part of the comment being placed in this case. If your stylus offers a side button, you should also be able to hold that button down and tap the screen to open the context menu.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
wonderose2
User

Post by wonderose2 »

1) I’d really appreciate having touch scrolling within my search results.

2a) The "switch to pencil with digitizer" option is disabled.

2b) My stylus does have a side button, yes. Still, I’d very much prefer doing it like in Android (or in Windows). Long(er) touch, and the context menu opens. Yet, preferably with the stylus, as this is the instrument I almost always use whenever I open your software.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Can you please advise what version you are using and if downloading the latest update resolves any of your issues.

We are now once again actively working to extend support for Touchscreen devices in a forth coming release and would appreciate your feedback

Thanks.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com