All white image after paste to Wordpad and Paint.net

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Timur Born
User

All white image after paste to Wordpad and Paint.net

Post by Timur Born »

Hello,

Editor is the only software on my computer that pastes an all white image (not transparent) into Wordpad or Paint.net, Word is not affected. Currently when I need to copy and paste an image from Editor to Paint.net I paste it to Paint3D first and then copy & paste from there.

I often use Paint.net, because starting up Photoshop takes too much time and effort for small editing/printing. And Paint3D is too basic and cumbersome for placing several images on one page.

So something about Editor's "Copy" routine is incompatible with how every other software seems to do it?!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: All white image after paste to Wordpad and Paint.net

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Timur,

As you know - the clipboard could hold more than one version of an item (e.g. plain and rich text versions of text - the first will be pasted in e.g. Notepad, and the second in Word).
So it is up to the application that receives the data to select the correct format that it support. I am not sure why Paint.net does not work correctly - but it seems like the issue is there - as you yourself say that the same clipboard data pastes correctly in other image applications. Can you please check if there are any options in Paint.net that will allow you to make some adjustments to e.g. what info it takes from the clipboard?

Regards,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Neither Paint.net nor Wordpad offer any preferences. The question then would be: Why are multiple items in the clipboard when I select to copy a single image from the content panel of Editor?

I also noticed now that some images are not affected and other images paste distorted versions instead of pure white/blank content.

Editor to Paint3d:
P3D.png
Editor to Paint.net:
PNET.jpg
PNET.jpg (7.25 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Could you send us a copy of the PDF you are copying these images from?
I would like to see if the file itself is causing this or if there is some other force at work here. As I have been able to copy images with transparency into and out of the Editor in the past.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Any of these should do:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ulisses ... =firefox-b

The white/blank ones usually are the ones where text floats around the image. The distorted ones are harder to find (some element of border art and background). Square images without floating text around them seem to be fine.
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello Timur,

I will investigate this behavior, meanwhile, you can use the Edit Image feature to open it correctly in the Paint.net.
Capture37.PNG
Use the single click on the image with the Select Text Tool to select the image content item. Or use the Edit Content tool to do the same. Another alternative is to open the Contents Pane and select the needed image there.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Thanks for the hint and for looking into this!

Using "Edit Image" is unfortunately not the best choice for when I need to put several images on a single page, though, so I will need to use the copy & paste via third application (Paint3D) for the time being.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Timur,

After doing some research, it appears that paint.net, wordpad, and even Adobe Reader, are known for having issues placing/creating/editing images with transparency. Which would explain why those three are the only programs I have encountered the same issues as your with. May I ask if you have considered using GIMP for this process, as in my tests GIMP worked flawlessly, I highly recommend it if you haven't tried it yet.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Gimp is just as much overkill as Photoshop for quick and simple stuff, but that is personal preference and somewhat diverting from the underlying issue.

Paint.net, Wordpad, Word and Photoshop all do not paste the images with transparent background, while Paint3D and Gimp do. But copying from Editor does not paste correctly in Paint.net and Wordpad. Meanwhile copying from Paint3D or Gimp does paste correctly in Paint.net and Wordpad, either with white (Paint3D) or black background (Gimp).

Copying between Paint3D and Gimp preserves the transparency, so both do copy the images with transparencies into the clipboard. And whatever Editor does differently in copying than these two seems to be the culprit.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

That is indeed a good point Timur,
Speaking with the dev team more on this, they have decided we will treat this as a bug, and look into what we are doing that could be the cause of this.
I have created an internal development ticket on the matter, as follows:
#4361: Pasting images copied from within Editor

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Thanks alot.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Paint.NET seems to properly receive copy & paste images from PDF Xchange with transparent background now. Wordpad still does not work, so I assume that this is rather a fix from Paint.NET's side, not from PDF Xchange's?!
Last edited by Timur Born on Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I had to edit my last post, because I wrote PDF "Expert" instead of "Xchange". So the current state of things is that you can copy & paste images with transparencies from PDF XChange to Paint.Net, you can even then copy them from Paint.Net to software like Wordpad. But going directly from Xchange to Wordpad still is broken, which leaves me to believe that Paint.Net was improved, but Xchange was not fixed.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Timur,

I've requested an update on the status of this ticket. One of us will let you know as soon as one is available.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

I believe it is fixed in 332.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Kind of. The image border are considerably tattered, somewhat similar to what Adobe Reader produces but using white background instead of black.

It's still better to either save the image as a file first and then load that file into applications that do not support transparencies. Alternatively one can paste into an application that supports transparencies and then copy & paste from there to the destination application.

No idea why the workarounds work, but directly pasting from Editor does not. But since Paint.net supports transparencies properly now (as does Photoshop), I am fine now.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

The Editor puts DIB, DIB V5, and PNG into the clipboard, and then pasting application choose which format to use.
Unfortunately, most applications do not support transparency in DIB format (guess due to historical reason) and if PNG is not supported or ignored, there will be the effect you described, and I'm afraid we cannot do much here.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.