Creating a Digital ID Build 324.3

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Creating a Digital ID Build 324.3

Post by Arnold »

I am unable to create a self signed PKS#12 digital ID using build 324.3. I go through all of the steps to create a new certificate, but I end up with nothing usable with both Windows XP & Windows 7. With Windows XP I can create a .pfx file, but it is not usable. A dialog box appears asking for the password, but nothing happens when I enter it. With Windows 7 I get an error message and no .pfx file is created (see below). What might I be doing wrong here?

Thanks.
2018-04-10 12_01_34-Create Self-Signed Digital ID.png
2018-04-10 11_51_19-Sign Document.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Creating a Digital ID Build 324.3

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

in your above screenshots I notice all fields are blank, I assume you have already filled all required fields while performing this task?
The email field must be used, and the password must be at least 6 characters. Can you verify this is how you've used it?
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Yes.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold,

We've just tested here with our internal technical build and this seems to have been fixed already. Please wait for the new build release in a few days - I trust you will find this to be resolved.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Nothing has changed with how this works over here using Windows XP or Windows 7 with build 325.0.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Arnold,

I was able to reproduce the problem at my end under Windows XP Pro x86 environment.
(When I choose the PFX file to sign the document, the PDF Editor ask me for the password and then nothing happens.)

As a workaround please install the certificate in your system ( double-click on the PFX file ) and then you can choose it under the option "Use Certificate from System Store":

sign.png

....for Windows 7 we are still testing.

....and one coffee cup time later, the result:

The signing with PFX file under Windows 7 Pro x64 is working just fine:

test7.png
This result means that there is a problem with your Windows 7 system that needs to be investigated if reappears.

Please try to sign several files (newly created and existing ones).

Regards.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I have tried to make a certificate now with a number of files, and always with the same result. I get the error message noted in my original post about insufficient memory (see post above). The computer is not lacking memory (see laptop specs below). It appears that error message is generated by the PDFX itself. If so, can you give me some ideas as to what circumstances would cause that error message?

Windows 7 Home Premium
 Intel® Core™ i3-2310M Processor - 2.1 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache
 Mobile Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
 Mobile Intel® HD Graphics with 64MB-1696MB of shared graphics
 Configured with 6GB DDR3 1333MHz (max 8GB)
 2 main memory slots.
 640GB (5400 RPM); Serial ATA hard disk drive

Thanks.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,

Could you please try to install the certificate in your system and see if the see Certificate from System Store works?
Also, could you please export you program settings and send it to us at support@pdf-xchange.com
or as attachment to your reply of this post. Thanks.

Regards.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Here is the settings file. I will try the certificate the other way when I get a chance.
Attachments
PDFXChangeEditorSettings 324.3 Toshiba.zip
(58.7 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,

This is the result from my test:
sign1.png
sign2.png
sign3.png
sign4.png

Аs can be seen from screenshots, signing the document passed successfully in Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 environment, with your settings applied.

This result means the there is some problem with your Windows 7 that needs to be analyzed.

Regards.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Those don't look like my settings. Below is what the screen looks like with my settings imported.
2018-04-20 09_32_22-Greenshot.png
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,

They are your settings. I have just switch to the Ribbon interface during the tests I have made.
Anyway, I do not think this affects the situation that causes the error message you get.
The signing is working fine under my environment so we need to investigate the cause for the error under your environment.

This is the same test with the classic UI:
classic1.png
classic2.png

Regards.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Maybe it shows up with my settings using Classic UI only. I don't know. Never had any problems with this computer before now.

I seem to remember when I first saw the similar problem on the XP computer which you have already confirmed, it did not work properly with version 6 either. When I get a chance I will install the portable version of 6 on the Windows 7 computers and see what happens.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I guess I was writing while you were posting as it looks like you have tried it with the Classic UI. Did you create the certificate with my settings in Classic UI. That is where the problem is coming in, actually creating the certificate.

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,
Sorry for the delay in response, Dimitar is off for the weekend, so we are setting up a new XP VM, but may not be able to respond until next week.
Just didnt want to leave you sitting in the dark.
Have a great weekend!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Results of some testing I did.

Windows XP sp3 32 bit
Successfully created and used certificate with Version 6 Build 322.7
Successfully signed document with Viewer Build 322.8 using .pfx file created above
Could not sign document in Version 7 Builds 323.4 or 325.0 using this same .pfx file
Also able to create a certificate using the Viewer

Windows 7 sp1 64 bit
Could not create a certificate with any Editor version or the Viewer
Could not sign documents using certificate created in XP with either the Editor or Viewer
Error message - Please select an available certificate and press okay

Thanks.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,
Arnold wrote:I guess I was writing while you were posting as it looks like you have tried it with the Classic UI. Did you create the certificate with my settings in Classic UI. That is where the problem is coming in, actually creating the certificate.

Thanks.
Yes, I have created the sign for this document under the Classic UI, and again no problem.

I have just notice that you are using Windows 7 Home Premium.
Today I will run some test with this OS because until now I have tеsted under the Windows 7 Pro.
I'm not sure if the difference between the two is what creates the problem with you, but I will still check it out.

P.S. Could you please tell, is your Windows 7 Home have SP1 ( Service Pack ) and the latest updates installed ?

Regards.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Yes Windows 7 Home Premium with service pack 1 and all updates as far as I am aware. I always install all of the updates coming from Microsoft.

Thanks for looking into this. I don't know where to look.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Did you install our products into a custom directory on either PC?
I am not sure if that could have any effect on the handling, but if you do I'm sure Dimitar would like to stick as close to that as possible.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

No nothing exotic. The only thing I have done is add Version 6 Portable to each directory.
Windows XP.png
Windows XP.png (10.22 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
Windows 7.png
Windows 7.png (9.82 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,

This is the result from my tests under the Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1:
signed_under_7home.png
signed_under_7home2.png
As you can see the document signing process was successful under the same environment like yours, with your settings imported.

After all the tests I have conducted, I continue to conclude that the problem is most likely in your system.

Maybe is not a problem in the OS itself, maybe is missing some supporting component.
Could you please make a screenshot of your Programs and Features list?

Regards.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I truly appreciate the time you have spent on this. It has to be something on my computer. I bought this computer from someone who had hardly used it. I basically left everything that was already installed, added myself as a user and then added the programs I use to conduct business.

Attached is the list of programs and features you asked me to send. A lot of the items came installed by Toshiba from the factory. All of the programs I have added are also on my XP machine, so it should not be one of them causing the problem.

Thanks.
Attachments
Program & Features.pdf
(93.27 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,

Unfortunately, my flair this time misled me :-)
There seems to be nothing missing in your system which means it's really a problem in the operating system itself.
I know it sounds a little extreme, but it's a good idea to think about the option of a clean reinstall of the operating system.
For Microsoft systems, this affects the computer well if done from time to time. :-)

As a last resort before taking such extreme action, I am willing to do a remote session to your machine through TeamViewer or a similar program, at a convenient time.
If you are willing to let me to do this, please write to support@pdf-xchange.com with information about the time interval in which I can connect to take a look!

Regards.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I notice that double clicking on the .pfx file I created brings up a Certificate Import Wizard. Is this something that might fix the problem in Windows 7?

If I do use the Import Wizard, where will the file end up? Will it be possible to delete it at some point?

Controlling the .pfx file is why I wanted to use the option to create a PKCS#12 Digital File instead of the Windows Certificate Store option. I don't have Windows passwords set on either the XP or 7 computers.

Thanks.
2018-04-30 18_03_02-Certificate Import Wizard.png
2018-04-30 18_03_02-Certificate Import Wizard.png (10.87 KiB) Viewed 5674 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,
This appears to be a windows dialog, so I am not sure of the answers to your latter questions about where it is or if you can delete it.
With that being said, I think it would be viable to assume that may solve the issue, Best way to find out is to try.
Let us know if it helps!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,

Yes, the installation of the certificate in your case indeed will solve the problem, but using the certificate as file should work too, as my tests showed.
Unfortunately, the problem is in the OS itself.

When it is installed, the certificate file can be found at this location:

C:\Users\WINDOWS USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates

They can be accessed and deleted directly by going into this folder or through Internet Explorer.
cer.JPG

Regards.