Folder / File Locking Issue

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mihlfeld & associates, inc.
User

Folder / File Locking Issue

Post by mihlfeld & associates, inc. »

We have run into some new behavior with version 7 (7.0 Build 324.3) that wasn't exhibited in version 6 that we need to get figured out--whether a bug, or some option we aren't aware of. Basically the issue is that once we open a couple PDF files, then create a new PDF file by combining these opened PDF files, we are unable to move the folder that these files are in after closing out the individual files due to PDF-XChange Editor holding the files locked in spite of them being closed. We have to completely close out of PDF-XChange Editor for it to allow the folder which the previously opened files were in to be released for moving. Here are the steps we went through to create the issue:

* Open two PDF files from a folder on our network (both files are in the same folder)
* Go to File -> New Document -> Combine Files into a Single PDF
* Choose the drop-down next to Add Files... and select Add All Open Documents
* Click OK and a new tab opens with the combined files from the first step
* Save this new document in the same folder as the individual files which were opened from the firs step
* Close the tabs of the two individual files plus the third tab of the combined pdf so that none of the above mentioned files are open any longer (or any files from said folder, for that matter)
* Attempt in Windows Explorer to move the folder that these files were in is met by denial. This is while PDF-XChange Editor is open, but no files are open in it
* Once PDF-XChange Editor is fully closed, the folder can now be moved

This behavior did no exist in version 6. It was not necessary to completely close out of PDF-XChange editor to so something like move files in Windows Explorer after doing PDF manipulation and closing the files. Is there some way we can get this behavior back? It's impeding the work flow of one of our people to a fault. We are going to have to roll back to version 6 if we can't figure out how to stop PDF-XChanged Editor from keeping a file lock after files are closed out.
HaPe
User

Re: Folder / File Locking Issue

Post by HaPe »

mihlfeld & associates, inc. wrote:PDF-XChange Editor holding the files locked in spite of them being closed. We have to completely close out of PDF-XChange Editor for it to allow the folder which the previously opened files were in to be released for moving.
Similar problem here.It happened a couple of times that I wasn't able to delete pdf-files (right after closing them in Editor) on the desktop.I am not connected to any network and usually just combine files and/or insert pages.
The only solution is to restart Editor.

HaPe
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Mihlfeld, HaPe,
I am sorry to say that this issue is still present in the testing build of the next release I am currently using, I've just reported it to the dev team, and they are looking in to it,
I cannot guarantee it will be fixed in the upcoming update, as it could only be a few hours away, but it should be resolved in the near future.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

On that note, I have been happily proven wrong, the Devs have just informed me this is now fixed :)It will be in the new release this week!
Enjoy!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
User

Glad to hear it. I'll be watching for the new build to drop and will see how things work out afterwards. I'll follow-up on the results once done installing and testing on release.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
User

The behavior is still present in version 7.0.325.0. We will go ahead and roll back to version 6 and keep an eye on future versions to see if the issue ever gets resolved.
User

If it helps any, the files in question can be moved once they are closed from within PDF-XChange Editor, but the folder itself that they were in is locked up by PDF-XChanged Editor until it is completely closed down (in spite of no files inside said folder being open in PDF-XChanged Editor or anywhere else).
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello mihlfeld & associates, inc.

In so far as we can ascertain, this issue has been resolved on our end. In 7.325 we are not longer able to reproduce the behavior described above. Can you confirm that windows correctly reports build 325?

We need to know what may be different in your system or what could still be keeping the handle on the file. Please run sysinternals process explorer and send us a screenshot indicating the process keeping the handle on the folder/files in question. You will find details and instruction here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s-explorer

Should we determine that it is indeed our software keeping a handle on the files/folders in build 325.0, we may need to arrange a remote session with our development team to run some debugging.

Thank you for your cooperation.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
User

I had a test machine that I did some testing on by getting into the registry and deleting the entire HKCU\Software\Tracker Software branch and after doing this, I was able to get things working. I'm going to test this out more extensively tonight after business hours, but it appears to me it's a combination of upgrading to the most recent version as well as wiping out the HKCU registry key for Tracker Software as something in there was still causing the issue (until it was wiped out).
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Have you restarted the PC since the updates completed?
We do recommend a restart after updating to ensure no conflicts arise from the previous versions.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Could be an issue with the search/indexing provider. Try to exclude the folder from indexing and try again.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the suggestion Timur!

Please do let us know how it goes mihlfeld & associates!

Cheers,
Stefan
User

We appear to be working properly now with one of our highest impacted users. It took a combination of upgrading to the most recent version as well as clearing out the registry key for Tracker Software under HKCU. It appears some leftover registry key is causing some grief that vanishes once we start again. I saw the same results with a couple users and a couple machines with the same fix being that the registry had to be addressed, too.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Thank you for the update on that,
Will have to look into that on our end, I will let the Devs know.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

do you still have any instances where the registry is causing issue? I am keen to determine exactly which sub key is the cause of this because we do keep the registry settings between upgrades so users do not lose their settings and serial key.

If you can, please export the entire following two keys along with all their sub keys etc:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software
If you can then do the same of a machine where the issue was resolved by removing those keys and reinstalling. Please send them to support@pdf-xchange.com or upload them to https://useruploads.tracker-software.support/ - details on it's usage can be found here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... ile-server

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
http://www.tracker-software.com
User

Email sent with 4 files zipped up and attached.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that.

I need to ask one of our developers, the registry files are identical, there are no differences in there to provide any clues. So I am barking up the wrong tree it would seem.

Do you have more cases or are they all currently working after your clean out and reinstalls?

sincerely
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
User

They can't be entirely identical (unless you're just comparing relevant parts on some of the keys). They are nearly 7KB in size difference. Any which way, I have no other samples readily handy. The process that worked for me was upgrade to the new version, delete the entire [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software] key (I left HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE alone) and the next time they launch PDF-XChange Editor, the issue is gone (but not before wiping out the above registry key and everything under it).

Sorry I don't have anything more to work with.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Good catch!

I messed up when using my comparison tool. Sorry about that. There are differences and we I will have one of the engineers investigate.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi again,

my team went over the reg keys and say there is nothing in there that explains this. The suggestion is that the cleaning of the registry is coincidental to the fix.

Where does that leave us? Are all your machines functional after cleaning and updating?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
User

Yes, those affected are functional after wiping the registry key and letting it get re-created from the new version on first start. We're working as we need to now.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback.

I am pleased to hear you are all working.

Do let us know if you have any other questions.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke