position of a (text-)object and text groups

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Thomas W.
User

position of a (text-)object and text groups

Post by Thomas W. »

If I do edit text object in a pdf file using PDF-XChange-Editor it is drawing small gray outlines around some text objects (see picture "outline around some text objects"). If I do select this the enclosed text objects are highlithed in the content pane (see picture "properties of some text objects").
Here are my questions:
  • In the content pane I cannot see any group of the enclosed text objects. Can I make this visible?
  • If I do select a text box I do get the properties of the enclosed text in the properties pane. But there ist none x or y position properties. I there a way I can edit the position directly?
Attachments
properties of some text objects
properties of some text objects
outline around some text objects
outline around some text objects
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: position of a (text-)object and text groups

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Thomas W,

The Editor tries to determine if a collection of text objects can be considered a single block, and when you do select such a block - you can work with it as if it is a single object, but in fact it can consist of many text elements. The PDF specification does not internally provide much of a "grouping" feature, so the elements will stay together.

Aso for the coordinates - once you have anything selected - try the Selection -> Transform... option:
transform.png
And you can then modify the position as needed.

Regards,
Stefan
Thomas W.
User

Post by Thomas W. »

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your reply. The transformation tool works fine for me.
Does I understand you right, that's there is no special combining box for the text elements but PDF-XChange Editor tries to recognize pattern between the text objects and handles it e. g. as an paragraph?

Regards,
Thomas
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Thomas,

You are effectively correct.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America