scan destination presets randomly change

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

scan_user
User

scan destination presets randomly change

Post by scan_user »

I like to get to a "single click" scan operation for repeat scan jobs.
For me, those jobs usually involve opening an existing document, and appending a few newly scanned pages.

The scan dialog seems designed for this: with the "Show native UI" unselected, all it would take is a single click.
... if it wasn't for the "Destination" selection.

I believe the idea is that the UI remembers the location from the last scan.
And sometimes it does, but sometimes it does not. (inconsistent even between system reboots)

That's frustrating, because when I forget to check whether it really still says "after last page", then sometimes it puts the new pages somewhere else (after first page, before first page etc), and now, since it doesn't automatically jump to the scanned page, I have to go hunt for the page... very tedious.

And if I remember to look, I need to : select "after" from the pull-down, and "last page" from the radio buttons: that's three clicks with real concentration required... arrgh

My question:
- how can I make it remember (permanently) the location that I want the new scans to go to? (always "after last page")
- Assuming that the idea is that it should remember... where is this "last location" value stored? How come sometimes it does remember and sometimes it doesn't?
What am I doing to overwrite this..? maybe If I knew that I could do something about that?

thanks
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: scan destination presets randomly change

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello scan_user,

Thank you for you post. These settings are retained for me between sessions in all our tests. Could you please go to Help> About and tell us what version and build you are running there?

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
scan_user
User

Post by scan_user »

Hi Patrick,
thanks for checking.
I am using Version 7.0 Build 324.3 Feb 27 2018 17:31:03
I have observed this behaviour since the first time I installed it. That was build 322, I believe.
Maybe it's Windows related? I'm running Windows 10 Home, Version 1709, OS build 16299.248
but again, this has been going on for a while, I bet there have been windows updates over time, can't tell with Win 10.
so probably Windows 10 Home is the one constant in this.

Maybe I need to set it as "run as administrator", so it can always save settings where it wants to?
(I have had big issuess with upgrading to the last two builds: It starts the install, and then, after it has uninstalled the program it tells me that it cannot proceed because no administrator rights, and the installation is canceled ... with the program left uninstalled... I had to find the downloaded .msi and re-run it.
That re-run sometimes asks for admin rights again, and sometimes (after a couple of restarts) it does not... it's inconsistent, except for the initial install using the auto-upgrade feature, that always fails...
... that makes me think that it might be related to user account control...maybe that blocks the saving of the settings? (in an incosnistent way though.... hmmm)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello scan_user,

The value for this position is stored in the registry under
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\Operations\ScanToImages\TargetDoc
So if the Editor has access to store other settings - it should be able to store that one as well.
Is there any way how this scanning preset could have changed, e .g. anyone else using the machine, or you doing any other scanning other than "add pages from scanner"?

Regards,
Stefan
scan_user
User

Post by scan_user »

Hi Stefan,
I think I have figured out what's happening:
- the "scan-to-location" preset is indeed remembered, as long as all consecutive scans are done with "insert scanned pages"
- so if I set it to "after last page", and as long as I open existing documents to add more pages, this setting consistently remembered

... but:
when I do one scan with "create a new document from scanner", the scan location gets reset
the next time I do a "insert scanned page", the setting is at " before first page".

Does that make sense?

I think that's counterintuitive.
Of course the "create new document" location is always page 1... but what does that have to do with the setting for inserting pages into documents?
There is ( of course) not even a menu in the "create new document" dialog that allows to select location, so it took me a while to make the connection.

Is there a way to make the "create new document" setting independent of the "insert scanned page" setting?
That would be more intuitive and save a bunch of clicks...

thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello,
I've been speaking with the dev team and they have assured me that this has been fixed in the upcoming build, 325.
It should release within a few days, Hope this is good!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com