After update to Editor V7, Xchange Lite prints "Buy Now" icons on each page

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

DrBB01
User

After update to Editor V7, Xchange Lite prints "Buy Now" icons on each page

Post by DrBB01 »

Have been using PDF-XChange Editor for about a year, but used PDF-XChange Viewer for personal use at home for decades. A couple of days ago, My Tracker Update software updated Editor to version 7. The print driver for PDFs now is just PDF-Exchange Lite (no version number), which apparently is a good thing, since the new driver is unnumbered.

I just printed my first PDF from the Web and was surprised/dismayed to see the "unlicensed feature" icon appearing in the top right/left corners of the document, the one that is a circle with a diagonal lie through it that says "PDF-Exchange Product. Click to buy now!" I have never seen this before the software updated, and I can't figure out whether this is a new restriction on home use or a bug in the installation. I searched the forum and didn't see any other posts on this issue, but I may have just missed it. I hope it is a bug because over the years the Tracker PDF print driver has been my favorite.

FWIW, I have PDF Exchange Editor, V7.0, Build 324.2 installed, with Win10 x64. In the "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software" folder, I have folders for both "PDF-XChange Editor" and "PDF-XChange Lite." Surprisingly, the "PDF-XChange Lite 6" folder is still there as well, and seems to be fully populated. My Windows "Program and Features" list of installed applications includes "PDF-XChange Editor" and "PDF-XChange Lite 6," but not "PDF-XChange Lite," suggesting that the latter may have been installed as an integral part of "PDF-XChange Editor." Finally, I have rebooted my PC a couple of time since the installation just in case something needed that to complete the update. Rebooting had no effect.

At this point, I'm hoping there is a simple fix for the printed "purchase" icons (like checking a "for personal use only" box somewhere—yes, I looked for one, but did not find one), so I'd prefer not to uninstall/reinstall PDF-XChange Editor, only to find the problem with PDF-XChange Lite unresolved. Any suggestions are welcome, including that one, however.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: After update to Editor V7, Xchange Lite prints "Buy Now" icons on each page

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

1) I think you should first check if your license for PDF-XChange Editor is (still) valid:
if you can modify text in a PDF and save the file without publicity stamps, than the license is still valid.

Normally the license key for PDF-XChange Lite printer is equal to the license key for PDF-XChange Editor.
So, you could try to introduce that key, via the PDF-XChange Lite printer > Printing Preferences > About (tab) > Registration... (button).

2) Maybe you know that there is a licensed version of PDF-XChange Lite printer and a FREE version.

The licensed version is included in the PDF-XChange Editor installation package. If you have a valid license for the Editor, then that license is also valid for the Lite printer. Without license, you will get publicity stamps on your PDFs in the Editor as well as via the (licensed version of the) Lite printer.

The FREE version can be downloaded and installed separately, and is only supposed for NON-commercial use.
With this version you will not have publicity stamps on your files, via File > Print.

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... hange-lite
DrBB01
User

Post by DrBB01 »

My bad. I should have stated that I have been using the free, non-commercial version for personal use. So, of course, I have no license key. Is it reasonable to assume that when the Tracker Update software downloaded V7 of PDF-XChange Editor, it downloaded a unique commercial version by mistake? I thought the installation version was the same for both personal and commercial use?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello DrBB01,

The version of lite included in the Editor package is the one that requires a license, and the one that is free for home and academic users is separate.
It seems like the updater tool has installed the incorrect version for you.
I will have this checked!

Cheers,
Stefan
DrBB01
User

Post by DrBB01 »

Hi Stefan,

Will await further information about next steps. In the meantime, I am using another, less flexible, PDF print driver, but I'd like to get back to either PDF-Exchange Lite V6 or a more recent version. I see there is a free version, V7.0.324.2, available for download from the Tracker site, but I don't want to screw anything up by trying to install it before you confirm that would be a proper solution. Best wishes, DrBB01!
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hi DrBB01,

Yes, installing the free version of PDF-XChange Lite should indeed solve the problem. Please download it from here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downlo ... eHome7.zip

Regards,
Radi
DrBB01
User

Post by DrBB01 »

Thanks Radi. I installed the free version and I "printed" a test page. The "buy it now" icon did not appear, so that seems to have done the trick.

Should I expect to see this problem reoccur the next time the Tracker Software Updater software updates Editor and Lite. or do you believe this was a one-time glitch?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Now that the dev team is aware of it this shouldn't happen again.
But on the slim chance it does, a quick post here and we will fix it for you!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
DrBB01
User

Post by DrBB01 »

Thanks Dan! Have a good week.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

You too! :)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com