324.2 Display

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

324.2 Display

Post by Arnold »

Open file and then switch to Ribbon Layout and Fit Page (see Preferences in screenshot)
Close and reopen file
View now back to Fit Width, but still in Ribbon Layout
Switch back to Standard Layout and choose Split View
(1 pane is now Standard Layout, the other is Ribbon Layout for some reason)
Make both panes Standard View
Close and reopen file
Still in Split View

Is there a combination of settings to have files (and panes) always open in Standard Layout?

Windows XP & Windows 7

===================================================================

Since the release of 324.2 I notice a small gap between the program and Windows Taskbar that I don't think was there before (see screenshot).

Windows XP & Windows 7

===================================================================

Page count still displayed even if no document is open (see screenshot)

Windows XP & Windows 7
2018-02-08 07_38_26-Greenshot.png
Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: 324.2 Display

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hey Arnold,
Can you send a few more screenshots, or possibly a video or what it is you are doing to get this? I'm trying, but personally failing to correctly follow your instructions. So right now I'm unable to reproduce the issue to figure out why its happening.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I just tried it with another file here that is all landscape portrait pages and it all went the same. The file I spotted this on was a mixture of portrait and landscape pages and it was easier to see. If you have the document sized to Fit Page, it is easy to miss that you are in Ribbon View and not Standard View in one pane. I think there is only a total of 6 steps I listed.

It all boils down to this. If I use Ribbon Layout with a file and close it, is it possible to have it then reopen in Standard Layout automatically using preferences? Same thing with Split View. Is it possible to reopen a file that was closed in Split View automatically with out it? I don't understand below why a pane opens in Split View in Ribbon Layout when the file is in Standard Layout before Split View is activated.

Below is what the screen looks like once you get to this part -

Switch back to Standard Layout and choose Split View
(1 pane is now Standard Layout, the other is Ribbon Layout for some reason)
2018-02-08 19_38_36-Greenshot.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi again Arnold, Can you send me a before and after of your settings files around this issue? I know I still have an old copy of yours somewhere on my drive, but I'm certain you've updated it a bit.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I will try to do screenshots for you. You guys may have the program set to remember if a file is closed in Ribbon Layout or Split View, and have it reopen that way. I hope not. I would like files to reopen in Single View and Standard Layout, no matter what the display state was when I closed it.

The last screenshot I sent you is probably the result of that. The program remembers the file was in Ribbon Layout when I reopen the file, which I did not want. So I then change the layout to Standard, but the program still uses Ribbon Layout for the 2nd pane when I use the Split View command. That I definitely think should not happen.

Does all of that make sense?

Do you guys see the gap between the program and Windows Task Bar on your computers, or is that just over here?

Thanks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Arnold,

I think it does make sense, but the screenshots will definitely be helpful.
As for the Windows Taskbar - I can't see the same.

Regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I wonder what is happening over here then. I reset the program and that did not fix it. So I removed and reinstalled. When the program first started the gap was not there. I then pressed F9 just to see the Menu and there it was again. Never had it before Build 324.2. It is nothing serious, but do you have any idea what might cause this?
2018-02-09 09_38_11-.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

I actually do see the taskbar issue myself, even on windows 10, so its not an OS issue.
Its a roughly 1 pixel tall line across the bottom of the program only when no document is open for me.
Can you verify that this is how the issue appears for you too Arnold?

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Sometimes I actually see it with a document open. Probably depends on what is beneath. But that is basically what I am seeing, even on the Windows 7 machine. So I am not going crazy, other people can see it too!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

nope, your not crazy, though I cant ever see it with a document open myself. and you said it depends on what's open behind it?
Can you test with some different application and see which ones are running that causes this to be prominent on your end?

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Yes and I will try to get a screenshot with it happening with a file open.

On the other thing. It seems to me that once Ribbon Layout is used on a file, you have to manually switch back to Standard Layout. Otherwise any file opened after that is in Ribbon Layout, which I don't use much. Is that how it is supposed to operate? If so is it possible to have a setting in Preferences to specify a default.

Same thing seems to happen if I use Split View. Every file opened after that opens in Split View. Is that how that is supposed to operate? If so is it possible to have a setting in Preferences to specify a default.

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Yes, it is default for those view settings to stay, the ribbon vs classic UI being defaulted to the last used is going to stay, but ill ask about an option for split view vs standard for you.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I anticipated those would be the answers to my questions. I definitely think Split View should not be persistent. I wish it could the same for Ribbon layout. The only time it is useful to me is on files with mixed page sizes like 8.5" x 11" portrait and 11" x 17" landscape. Put the program in Ribbon Layout and Full Page View and scrolling through the file is easy.

=====================================================================

Attached is a pdf with 2 screenshots showing the gap above the taskbar, one with a document open, and one without a document open. Sometimes it is just a white line, and other times it looks like these do. I have not figured out what causes it to happen, nor the reason it changes. It can be a pure white line one minute, and then look like these do a few minutes later.
Attachments
Taskbar Issue.pdf
(29.51 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Thanks for those Arnold, I will continue investigating.
Ragarding the defaults, ive made a formal feature request for you, but as usual I cannot promise anything.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Thank you. I definitely know now how Ribbon Layout and Split View work. When it would happen with them I thought it was a bug.

I will keep watching for something concerning the taskbar gap and post if I see anything.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
samermaan
User

Post by samermaan »

This option should be available in the first place!
If you split one document, who told you that all other newly opened documents are needed to be split as well??

Not so smart logic.
Please address ASAP.

Thanks,
Sam
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Samermaan,

Apologies for the troubles you are encountering here. We have an active ticket to handle this, however I cannot speak for when it will be complete.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I find that Split View is at least easy to spot when the next file is opened. Not so with Ribbon Layout, as I have documents set in Preferences to open in Fit Width zoom. Until I realize what has happened, it appears that a multi-page file only has 1 page. I then figure out that the page count is more than 1, and that there is a horizontal scroll bar even in Fit Width zoom.

Ribbon Layout's usefulness to me is if the Editor is in Fit Page view. Ribbon Layout and Fit Page work brilliantly together for working with longer files. Maybe nice to specify the Standard/Ribbon Layout in Preferences.

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,

Thank you for pointing that out. I am unsure what we can offer here for the ribbon layout issue. It is unlikely that we will consider making changes to zoom factor of a document to handle this, but it may be possible to change how the UI buttons work so that this option lights up as the other functions do when enabled.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I moved the UI Option button down near Find & Search and put the Layout switch dialog in it's place. This might help me to keep track. Something similar to how the Split View lights up might indeed be good.

I was scared to just delete the UI Options button as I did not see a shortcut for it anywhere in the Customize Toolbar lists. Might want it back at some point. Did I just miss it?

2019-07-10 13_31_05-PDF-XChange Editor.png
2019-07-10 13_31_05-PDF-XChange Editor.png (4.09 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,

You can reset the whole "View" part of the ribbon, or just the "Page Display" subsection of it from the "Customize Toolbars" window:
reset_part_of_ribbon.png
So if you ever accidentally remove a button (or a drop down - which are not normally available in e.g. the commands list) - then you just reset that part of the Ribbon UI - and the removed items will reappear.

Regards,
Stefan