Questions about File Size

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

terraquest
User

Questions about File Size

Post by terraquest »

I have been experiencing an issue with the PDF-XChange software. When I have a file that is several thousand pages and delete all but 1 page, the files size remains the same or even increases in size . Has anyone reported a similar problem and what was the solution?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Questions about File Size

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi terraquest,

Thanks for the post - I've just tried this with a 9000 page, 1GB file and did not experience the same issue. The file dropped to 146KB, so please make sure that you have the latest build by downloading and running the following installer:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE3.zip

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
terraquest
User

Post by terraquest »

Thank you for the quick reply. I am currently running version 3.0 Build 304.0. Can you confirm if this is the correct version? I have used this program many times in the past and have not had this issue either. Recently (about 1 month ago), I encountered this problem. Reinstallation does not fix this issue.
terraquest
User

Post by terraquest »

I have also tries this in PDF Xchange viewer V2.5 Build 199.0 and encountered the same issues.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The latest build of the viewer is 214

The latest build of the Editor is 307.1

Please update and try again.

Downloads
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi terraquest,

Build 304 of the Editor and build 199 of the Viewer are both extremely old builds. Build 307.1 is the latest build of the Editor and build 214.1 of the Viewer are the latest.

Please try downloading and running the following to update (it can be installed on top of the existing installation):
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
**Note: Please do not install from a locally saved copy of the installer, as that will install the same build.

If you would also like to install the latest build of the Viewer, you can download the installer here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVwer.zip

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for the input, as always, Bhikkhu :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
brian haddock
User

Post by brian haddock »

I'm seeing the same behavior with build 307.1. I have a 180-page PDF, deleted pages 1-90, save as using a different file name and the resultant file is the exact same size. I have started using the Foxit printer driver to print to a file in order to reduce the file size.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the update - could you please send one of these files? If it's too large to upload here, then please see this KB article:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... FTP-server

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
cokolade
User

Post by cokolade »

Hello All,
Any news on this? I just saw the same beviour: Deleted 95% of a 330 pages file and at the end the file size is nearly unchanged (31 > 29 MB). Software:
PDF-XChange Editor 6.0 317.1, Windows 7 Prof SP1 64 bit.
Regards
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

Can you please verify if "Always use Incremental Save" is turned off in PDF-XChange Editor, via the Edit-menu > Preferences > Documents > Save Documents ? If not, the space of the deleted pages will not be liberated.

Best regards.
cokolade
User

Post by cokolade »

Hello Willy,
Thank you very much for the fast reply. Indeed, "Incremental Save" is not checked, so not activated.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Probably it is also important to know if there is a difference between modifying (= delete pages) and saving the PDF on a network drive/disk or saving it on a local drive/disk.

I suppose you are actually using a work-around for this problem, by extracting the few pages that you would like to keep, instead of deleting the large range of pages that you would like to remove...
cokolade
User

Post by cokolade »

I tried to save the modified file (after deleting pages) on local drive and on network drive as well but in both cases the big file size appears.

Indeed extracting the pages works, appropriate file size, so for the moment I am satisfied but I think this issue should be fixed any way.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello cokolade,

Another possibility is that there are many named destinations in the file. Even if you delete pages, the destinations are not all deleted, and I have seen some unusual cases where those destinations take up a significant portion of the file's size.
When you do "Extract Pages" - a new file is created with only those pages and the information needed for that pages is copied from the original - which keeps the new file small.
If the file is not confidential and you'd like to share it - we can take a look.

Regards,
Stefan
cokolade
User

Post by cokolade »

Thank you Stefan,
The file is not really confidential but I would prefer not to post it in a public forum. Is there a possibility to upload it directly (as mentioned the size is approx. 30 MB)
Regards
cokolade
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello cokolade,

if you upload it somewhere (e.g. your dropbox) you can then share the link with us at support@pdf-xchange.com and we will download it and test it.

Regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello again cokolade,

Thanks for sending us the files over e-mails.
As discussed there - we managed to locate the issue and will work on fixing it.
#3608: Editor 317.1: Does not delete StructTreeRoot information properly when pages are deleted.
In the mean time please use the File -> Extract pages as a workaround!

Regards,
Stefan
sepp planzer
User

Post by sepp planzer »

Hi,

Its very strange to find this old posts, yet am still having the same issue
for testing, i removed almost 90% of pages in my file, yet no change on file size,

am using PDF-XChange Editor V7 B323.2

the incremental save is unmarked

any idea, how to overcome this
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi Sepp,
Do remember that file size will not change until after saving and closing, as the original file is still kept as a backup to revert to until closing.
We've also rolled out a new build today. Build 324, could you please update to that one and let me know if you still find the issue?
We revamped the way that text embedding works, so it should drastically reduce the file size of new files. sadly it will likely not have much effect on files created prior to it, though you could try the save as optimized function and see if unembedding the fonts you arent using works on it.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
Support@pdf-xchange.com
sepp planzer
User

Post by sepp planzer »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote:Hi Sepp,
Do remember that file size will not change until after saving and closing, as the original file is still kept as a backup to revert to until closing.
We've also rolled out a new build today. Build 324, could you please update to that one and let me know if you still find the issue?
We revamped the way that text embedding works, so it should drastically reduce the file size of new files. sadly it will likely not have much effect on files created prior to it, though you could try the save as optimized function and see if unembedding the fonts you arent using works on it.
Hi,
i updated the version to build 324
but yet, the issue still the same, actually even it went higher by 5K,

I have removed around 400 pages of the file

attached 2 utilization analysis of the original file, and after removing the 400 pages (with normal saving after removal)
Attachments
after removal status.JPG
original file status.JPG
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Hi Sepp.
Does your file contain digital signature?
If not - please make sure you turned off incremental updates.
HTH.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
sepp planzer
User

Post by sepp planzer »

Lzcat - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Sepp.
Does your file contain digital signature?
If not - please make sure you turned off incremental updates.
HTH.
Hi,

No digital signature there,
and incremental save is not checked (Disabled), is it what you meant by incremental update? or there is something else am missing

if required, i could share the original file with you, and you do the trial your self to test directly
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Sepp.
Yes, please provide your file. Attach it here or if it is confidential - please sent to support@pdf-xchange.com with link to this topic in message body.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
sepp planzer
User

Post by sepp planzer »

Lzcat - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Sepp.
Yes, please provide your file. Attach it here or if it is confidential - please sent to support@pdf-xchange.com with link to this topic in message body.
thanks,
file sent to your email
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Thanks, we got it, and its been passed down the chain!

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello all,

Just a quick update that we've found the problem and it will be fixed in the next major build release of our product (325).

Cheers,
Stefan
Special
User

Post by Special »

I too always scratch my head with how the Editor handles file sizes, I've basically just written it off as being completely broken.

For example, I have a 50MB PDF, I go into "resize pages" and change the paper size to "10%" of the original size, now they are very tiny.... I save it and the PDF is still 50MBs???

If you reduce something to 1/10th the size I would expect the file size to also be reduced at around that.

EDIT: Same thing goes with cropping, If I have a single page, and crop 90% of it, the file size remains the same, the logic just isn't there.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Nonetheless, its coming, we've just got to hold on tight! :)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Special wrote:I too always scratch my head with how the Editor handles file sizes, I've basically just written it off as being completely broken.

For example, I have a 50MB PDF, I go into "resize pages" and change the paper size to "10%" of the original size, now they are very tiny.... I save it and the PDF is still 50MBs???

If you reduce something to 1/10th the size I would expect the file size to also be reduced at around that.

EDIT: Same thing goes with cropping, If I have a single page, and crop 90% of it, the file size remains the same, the logic just isn't there.
Hi Special.
I'm afraid that your expectations is completely wrong.
PDF is VECTOR format, so when you resize pages you just change declared page size, along with scale coefficients so page content fit new page size. If you than resize pages to previous size you will see that page was not changed and has same quality.
Same with cropping pages - you don't cut off all that is on the page, but just change which part of page will be visible. However when cropping pages you may specify "Remove the content outside of the crop box area" option, in that case some content will be removed, but again, do not expect that file size will be reduced proportionally.
If you want to reduce file size - please use File->Save As Optimized ant try different settings there.
HTH.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager