Lost plug-in on Office 2007  SOLVED

This forum is for plugins used in the PDF-XChange Editor only.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

sparkyguy
User

Lost plug-in on Office 2007

Post by sparkyguy »

Have Microsoft Office 2007 on OLD laptop running 32-bit Win 7. I had to do a reinstall of PDF-XChange PRO (now Ver 7.0.323.7) and now have lost the PDF selection at end of Menu Bar at top of screen in all my Office 2007 applications. If I go into Word Options, Add-Ins, COM Add-Ins I've verified the box for PDF-XChange Pro is listed and checked. I've completely uninstalled and re-installed PDF-XChange Pro several times, done multiple reboots (both before and after uninstalls & reinstalls) with no change. How can I get it back?
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Lost plug-in on Office 2007

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello sparkyguy,

Could you please try to do a complete reinstallation of our software.
To do this, please remove the product completely and install it again.

As an additional option, you could also try to repair the installation of the Office Suite.

Please give us feedback on the result.

Thank you for using our software.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
sparkyguy
User

Post by sparkyguy »

I didn't want to overlook the obvious so I tried both REPAIR and a full UNINSTALL-REINSTALL before making my original post. For my re-install, I even logged in and did a fresh download of the application just in case something in the original might have got corrupted. In Office, the add-ins show up properly in both Word and Excel, but PDF-XChange choice does not appear with other menu options...
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

So, I'm sorry to have to ask you to re-install again, but this method will fully remove all possible association to our products, and all memory that they have ever existed on your machine.

Please go to: Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features in your system and uninstall everything that is published by Tracker Software Products:

Once this is complete, please restart your computer.
Once restarted, please go to regedit.exe built into every windows computer. Find it by typing "regedit.exe" in search bar of your start menu.
Please delete the following registry entries. Only the "Tracker Software" folder and all its sub-folders. **Be extremely careful as a mistake could render your computer useless**
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software

You can now close Regedit.
Please make sure there are no Tracker Software folders here: C:\Program Files.
If so, please delete it.
Restart your computer.
Now install the software:

After this it should re-associate with word and function like it used to
I hope this helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
sparkyguy
User

Post by sparkyguy »

Thanks for the quick reply but it didn't correct problem.
I'm familiar with regedit (not the serious workings but basic editing). I deleted Tracker Software keys in both areas as noted, "Program Files" branches for "Tracker Software" with restarts as noted but no change after reinstalling PDF-XChange Pro. I even tried changing from the msi installer to the zip/exe installer with no change in result..
Only thing I haven't tried is to uninstall/reinstall Office 2007. However, if I do that, it will need to wade thru hundreds of Microsoft product updates from 2007 until now.

I'm not a Windows geek ....... but even AFTER the uninstall and regedit you suggested, I searched a bit and still found a few files remaining under:
C:\Users\%Name%\AppData\Roaming\Tracker Software
Could these be messing things up???
Should I try to do global regedit searchs for "Tracker Software" and/or "PDF-XChange"???
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

The appdata folder should only be used by the editor for dictionary, stamp, and exported settings profiles. It would not affect the installation or running of the PDFSaver utility...
Though i admit i forgot about those files as i mistakenly though the uninstaller removed them. My bad.
Try using The office repair tool if reinstalling is not an option for you, though a full re-installation would be the best route.
As far as I've seen Microsoft has consolidated most of their legacy downloads and updates into packages, so full updating it from fresh should only be 3-6 update packages...

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

1) Add-in is listed within "Active Application Add-ins" ?
Can you tell us if the PDF-XChange Standard Office Plugin" is listed below "Active Application Add-ins" or rather below "Inactive Application Add-ins" or even below "Disabled Application Add-ins" ? See attached screenshot.

2) Incompatible version of the add-in ?
I do not remember exactly anymore, but I think there was a time - years ago - when there was a distinction between two ranges of MS Office add-ins available whilst installing PDF-XChange Pro (or PDF-XChange Standard).

There was a range for older versions of MS Office and there was a range for the newer versions.

The thing I do not know, and can not find anymore, is at which version there was a switch (was it MS Office 2003 / 2007 ?).

@sparkguy
What you can do, is open one of your PDFs that was made on the hand of the PDF-XChange MS Office add-in for MS Word 2007.
Then, look via Edit > Document Properties > Description. See attached screenshot.
There you should see the version of PDF-XChange at the time it still worked.
In the worst case, you could try by downloading that version, install and see what it gives.
Previous build archive: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/versio ... e-standard

Best regards.
Attachments
Microsoft Word_Word Options_Add-ins.png
PDF-XChange_Document Properties.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

I like willy's Reply here,
What you can do, is open one of your PDFs that was made on the hand of the PDF-XChange MS Office add-in for MS Word 2007.
Then, look via Edit > Document Properties > Description. See attached screenshot.
There you should see the version of PDF-XChange at the time it still worked.
Please try this and get back to us soon!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
gerald halm
User

Re: Lost plug-in on Office 2007  SOLVED

Post by gerald halm »

Thanks for suggestions.
I've been on a vacation for a week so I couldn't try suggestions.
Unfortunately, I found a solution, but I did it BEFORE trying the latest suggestions posted.
Before vacatoion, I tried an uninstall of PDF-XChange Pro including registry deletions suggested followed by a restart.
I then fully ununstalled my copy of Office 2007 followed by another restart.
I then reinstalled Office 2007 followed by another restart (just being through with all the restarts, I'm desperate at this point).
I FINALLY reinstalled PDF-XChange Pro (yes, followed by another restart).
Results? Still didn't work. The Add-in still doesn't show up in Word or Excel.
I don't remember specifics to the letter, but under the Office Add-Ins, I know it DID say it say that the PDF-XChange WAS launching with Office with no errors noted.
i finally threw in the towel for a solution that "functionally" works.
I did some license swaps on my home computers and uninstalled both Office 2007 and PDF-XChange. I also had a valid Office 2010 license on my wife's computer which is no longer needed (she retired) so I uninstalled Office 2010 from that unit and moved it to the "problem" computer. I finally reinstalled PDF-XChange Pro and THAT finally works.(although a heavy-handed solution).

For the life of me, I can't figure why Office 2007 was so stubborn. I probably uninstalled & reinstalled PDF-XChange a dozen times and Office 2007 a half-dozen times. On every try, everything installed without errors ....... it just didn't work. I religiously run A/V (yes, I even tried disabling it during many installs) and I routinely scan for malware using both Super-AntiSpyware and Malware-Bytes. System hasn't shown malware or virus for over a year. Sorry I can't post a valid "SOLUTION", but I can post a valid "SOLVED".

Side note:
Your application ROCKS. I needed to use the competitors product at work, but couldn't afford the cost of the package for my personal home computers. PDF-XChange Pro is is one of the sweetest applications available.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Glad to hear that at least worked...
I have no clue why 2007 wouldn't work for you though, by all means it should have been working, and there is no reason it shouldn't have been perfect on a clean install.
I feel like this is something we can write off as a windows file association error, but that's just my guess

Support@pdf-xchange.com
savimakwo
User

Post by savimakwo »

Disabled Application Add-ins" ? See attached screenshot.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello savimakwo,

Welcome to our forums. I am afraid that I can't see the screenshot - so can you please try once again?

Regards,
Stefan
TGE
User

Post by TGE »

Hi

Seems to be i have the same Problem with the Word and Excel Plugin. I've installed Version 7.0.324.3 of PDF-XChange. On Clients with Office 2007 i have Problems to see the plugin. It's in active state under Addins and if i hoover over the postion in the Bar of Word i see there is somthing with no discription and when i click i came into the addin menü but no Buttons are showing there. Just look my attachment.
On Clients with Office2016 the addin is shown.

Thanks

Tobias
Attachments
addin.jpg
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Do you still have a computer with Microsoft Office 2007 where the add-ins still work in Excel and Word ?
If so, then check the version of the PDF-XChange Standard printer on that computer.
After this, you can download and install the required version. Maybe try with an early version 4 or 5 ?
NOTE: the Office add-ins are included in the Standard printer software, not in the Editor.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/versio ... e-standard

In the other case, I am a little bit afraid that you will have to upgrade your Microsoft Office 2007 clients to at least Office 2010.

Regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Willy is right again :)
Have a good one!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
PDFer
User

Post by PDFer »

I found the solution to this problem. The way to re-enable the add-in in Word 2007 (and probably other Office programs and versions) is tricky.

Go to: Options > Addins.

You should see the add-in in the Disabled section at the bottom of the list (scroll down).

The "trick" is to change the setting in the "Manage" box before clicking the Go button. If it is set to Com Addins, whatever you do later won't work. With the drop-down menu, change the setting to "Disabled Items".

Then click Go, and on the next page you can highlight the add-in you want to enable, and click the Enable button. It is not necessary to restart Word or the computer.

I wasted a lot of time trying to re-enable the PDFXchange add-in, and finally stumbled on doing it this way. (Microsoft blows it again!)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello PDFer,

Thanks for sharing the solution you found! Hope it wull be useful to others as well!

Cheers,
Stefan