Problems with Login

A picture is worth a thousand words. We have created some pdfs tutorials showing common tasks.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Peter 123
User

Problems with Login

Post by Peter 123 »

Hello,

I would like to report two problems concerning my Login:

1. Several times I chose the option "Remember me" (so that I stay logged in) but it never works for a long time. Soon (sometimes already the next time) I have to log in in again manually (via username and password). I always use the same computer - so this cannot be the reason. From my provider I get dynamic IPs (so sometimes they change), but normally that should not affect the automatic login too.

In the profile exists an item called "Manage “Remember Me” login keys":
The "Remember Me" login keys automatically log you in when you visit the board. If you logout, the remember me login key is deleted only on the computer you are using to logout. Here you can see remember login keys created on other computers you used to access this site.
Indeed such login keys are mentioned there (registered obviously whenever I activate the opion "Remember me" again) but it seems that they do not have an effect.

2. An even stranger problem:

Since yesterday whenever I want to log in (via username and password) I get the information that I "exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts" (so that I have to use the CAPTCHA too):

That's not only a cumbersome procedure but I cannot imagine at all why I get this warning. From my side there were no failed attempts to log in (e.g. by mistyping repeatedly my password). And I also cannot imagine that all the time a third person tries to hack my account using wrong passwords in an attempt to log in.

Thanks in advance for any information or ideas.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Problems with Login

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Point 1:
In case you are using Internet Explorer 11 as your browser for the Tracker Support forum, then you could check if there is something hanging about Tracker Software in Windows "Credential Manager" - via Control Panel. In case it is, then open the item and click "Remove".
After this, you will have to re-introduce your password when you log in to the forum. But, when you click "Remember me" it should work correctly the next time you log in.

Point 2:
Yes, strange, I also get the question to type the CAPTCHA.

Best regards.
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

First of all I apologize for posting this topic obviously in the wrong forum. I misunderstood its title, thinking it has to do with how to use the board. :mrgreen: Only later I realized that it is meant as a ««"How to" forum»» concerning explanations for the software. So the administrators may transfer my topic to another more appropriate forum if they like. (Whichever this forum may be. Even now I would not know where to post it better.)

Anyway, many thanks for your reply, Willy.

I do not use the Internet Explorer but Firefox. Nevertheless your comment concerning point 2 is a great relief for me. So I can be sure that the issue with the CAPTCHA is not connected specifically with my computer. :D
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Peter, Willy,

The "How To" forums are a good enough place for this topuc Peter, so I would rather leave it here unless you specifically want it to be somewhere else?

Our web devs have made some changes to our website, and we now use some firewalls, but I am not sure this is the reason for your problems.
I personally have not logged in to the forums for a very long time - so my sessions are clearly being remembered.

Do you have any tools that e.g. wipe the temporary internet files and or cookies? Or maybe clear caches, or 'monitor' the registry?

As for the captcha - I will have the web devs check that!

Season's greetings,
Stefan
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Thanks for you reply, Stefan.
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: The "How To" forums are a good enough place for this topic Peter, so I would rather leave it here, [...]
Fine. :D
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Do you have any tools that e.g. wipe the temporary internet files and or cookies? Or maybe clear caches, or 'monitor' the registry?
I use my browser almost exclusively within a sandbox ("Sandboxie"). Therefore many actions or data are gone whenever I close the browser. But of course the initial login with "Remember Me" I make outside the sandbox, and cookies, cache and temporary files should be kept too (always concerning this initial login). Other special tools for data, registry etc. I do not use.

So normally the use of the sandbox should not lead to the loss of the permanent login. And indeed in some other boards/websites where I use an option to stay logged in exactly in the same way (= first login outside the sandbox, continuation within it) the feature works flawlessly. The problem exists only with this board. Nevertheless I will try to use this board now (with activated option "Remember me") for some period only outside the sandbox in order to check if it has to do with it.
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: As for the captcha - I will have the web devs check that!
That's fine. Many thanks. :D
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Peter123,

I just got a word from our web devs that those issues were likely caused by a new FireWall that we have set up last week.
They have made some further adjustments to it, so this should not happen any more. Can you please check at your end and confirm!?

Happy Holidays,
Stefan
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

Hi Stefan!
I had this issue 23-12-17 and I didn't have it since 24-12-17

Have a nice day!
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
PDF-XChange PRO, 10.1.1 (Build 381) / W7 SP1 x64
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks OVG,

Good to hear it is no longer happening for you!

Cheers,
Stefan
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: They have made some further adjustments to it, so this should not happen any more. Can you please check at your end and confirm!?
Hi Stefan,

yes, I can confirm that until now all works fine for me too (no new Captcha after logging out, and "Remember me" also seems to be stable).

Once more many thanks to you and to the web devs. :D
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

That's lovely news Peter123,

Hope the Christmas parties were lovely and you are getting ready for the New Year's celebrations!

Cheers,
Stefan
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Hello Stefan,

sorry to say: just now it happened again that I was "locked out" from the Board (after the "Remember me" was stable for about 3-4 days approximately).

But as other users don't report the same problem it seems to have to do with my computer. Don't worry about it. I will get accustomed to the necessity of logging in after a relatively short time. No problem. It will not disturb my New Year's celebrations. :wink:

Happy New Year to you and all the team of Tracker Software!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Sorry to hear that Peter!

I will ask the web devs to check once again - as this should not be something you have to learn to live with!

Lets see what our web devs can figure out, and if we need any extra info - will let you know!

Happy New Year,
Stefan
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Thanks, Stefan. :D
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:D
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

The last few days I have problem with login again. I have to enter login and password every time despite "remember me" setting
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Ovg,

Sorry to hear that!
Going to ask our web devs to check again!

Cheers,
Stefan
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

Thank you, Stefan!

This happens every time when I go to the forum after switch on my PC
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

Yesterday and today I've not any problem with login. Thank you!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

You might notice some issues in the next few days regarding "keep me logged in" tokens, While we work on upgrading the forums server hardware
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

Thank you for informing me!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

You are welcome Ovg :)

Cheers,
Stefan