Edit Text

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

lkrayn
User

Edit Text

Post by lkrayn »

I must be doing something really wrong. I have a PDF file that was scanned into my computer and I cannot edit it for the life of me. I tried to OCR the document - highlight the text I need to change.. hit the edit text button, edit content button.. nothing seems to work. I've only used the Editor program once and it was a piece of cake. Edited the document with no problem, now, I can't do anything to the document. I've tried reading all the forums all the online training.. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.....

Help please.. program is useless to me if I can't edit a document.

Larry
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Edit Text

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Larry,

if the document was scanned then OCR run on it then there will be an invisible text layer. The underlying image is not changed. You can select the text and change it's properties to a colour so it is visible and it will be editable, however the image of the text will still be visible underneath it.

You can delete the underlying image leaving just the OCR'd text but that will delete everything that was in the scan, not just the scanned text but any images and graphics as well. Is it all text or does it include images?

Can you post the document here for us to look at?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
lkrayn
User

Post by lkrayn »

Hi, thank you for the reply.. I tried to switch the underlying layer to upfront.. and visa versa, I still can't get the document to edit. I've attached the PDF document I'm trying to edit. I only OCR'd it to try and be able to edit it.
I didn't think I had to do that in order to edit the document. It is just a scanned in image in PDF format...
I first tried to just hit "edit content" but nothing happened...I've bee trying everything I can think of to try and edit the document.

Not quite sure how to bring the layer up front and then change the color either.... sorry... I'm really trying.. lol...

Larry.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello lkrayn,
Thank you for your post. It seems the file was not attached. Please try saving it in a zip file, then posting it here so that we can assist you better.
Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
lkrayn
User

Post by lkrayn »

Here you go.. the other file was too big.. here is another example.. I still can't edit the document... thanks for your help.
Larry
Attachments
108 Atlantic Certificate Of Formation.pdf
(87.48 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello lkrayn,

Just tested with your file, and there is no issue at all for me to make changes to the text in this:
edit.png
So can you please ensure that you have the file locally (e.g. not opened inside a browser), and that you have the latest Editor build - and all should be fine.

Regards,
Stefan
lkrayn
User

Post by lkrayn »

Hi,
Thanks, I did need the update and now I can change that document. The original document I was trying to edit, I still can't edit. It was too big to attach but I finally figured out a way to copy the first page and I've attached that. Can you please see if you can edit this one ?
Thank you !!!
Attachments
New Document.pdf
(438 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello Ikrayn

When I open your document, I almost immediately see that it goes about a scanned text, because the lines are not 100% horizontal.

Other methods to see if it goes about text or image:
1) try to select the text on the hand of the "Select Text" tool in PDF-XChange Editor.
If this is NOT possible, then it goes probably about an image.

2) click File > Document Properties > Fonts...
If there are NO fonts in the list, then you may almost be sure that your document is only an image (no text).

Now, that is why the OCR feature exists in PDF-XChange Editor.
It makes it possible to recognize text in image(s)/picture(s).

So, run this OCR feature via Document > OCR Pages... with the settings you see in the attached "print screen 1".

It will generate a new document with still the image of the page, but an additional layer with the text.

You can discover this by activating the "Content" pane, via View > Other Panes > Content.
In this pane, click the little triangle or arrow, at Page 1, and you will see one image followed by several text items (see print screen 2).

What you need to do now, is:
1) first select all the text items - via the first icon in the Content pane + Select > Text (print screen 3),
2) then, give the selected text items a "Fill color" = change from "None" to Black - via the Properties toolbar (print screen 4), and
3) finally delete the image (from within the Content pane).

I hope this will clear it up a bit for you.

The resulting file is also attached.

Regards.
Attachments
New Document - Image to Text.pdf
(14.15 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
PDF-XChange Editor - OCR Pages - settings.png
PDF-XChange Editor - Content pane.png
PDF-XChange Editor - Content pane - select text.png
PDF-XChange Editor - Content pane - select text.png (49.24 KiB) Viewed 3461 times
PDF-XChange Editor - Content pane - select text - fill color.png
PDF-XChange Editor - Content pane - select text - fill color.png (39.58 KiB) Viewed 3463 times
lkrayn
User

Post by lkrayn »

Thank you for the response !! I was able to follow you all the way through. The only problem is, my copy doesn't look nearly as clean and neat as yours. Maybe I'm deleting the text and not the image ? I've attached the document I created following your steps and you can see the difference.
Plus, you were using the old software without the update.. a little harder to follow..lol.. but I managed.. except for maybe the delete.
I've attached my file, that I created following your steps and I still can't edit it. Your copy, no problem...

Hopefully we can figure out where I dropped the ball...
thanks again,
Larry
Attachments
New Document2.pdf
New file I created following the provided steps, still cannot edit it.
(2.99 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hi Larry,

1) I have been using the same version as yours (V7 build 323.2), but maybe you have the new Ribbon UI activated, while I am working with the Classic Toolbars. You can change the look on the hand of the button/icon in the title bar of the PDF-XChange Editor window.

2) I suppose, in the last step, you have indeed deleted the text instead of the image.
Please go via the View-menu > Other panes... > Content, and click the little triangle before "Page 1" to see the whole content of the page.
Only select the first item, i.e. the "Image" and delete it.

I hope this finally helps.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - switch to classic toolbars.png
PDF-XChange Editor - switch to classic toolbars.png (10.22 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for all the help Willy!

And Larry - we are looking forward to your feedback once you've had the chance to try Willy's suggestions.

Regards,
Stefan
lkrayn
User

Post by lkrayn »

PERFECT !
Thank you, I realized a while later I must be deleting the text. Thanks for clarification.....everything worked perfectly.

Thank you so much !
Larry
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Good to know that you have managed to achieve your goal.

:-)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Good to know that you have managed to achieve your goal.
Indeed and thank YOU Willy for the detailed and effective advice! :-D
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
http://www.tracker-software.com
ulrichgrauert
User

training

Post by ulrichgrauert »

Dear Team,
I urgently need support. We have licensed PDF Xchange Editor Version 7.0, (Build 327.1) (Oct 24 2018; 14:23:48) and we have purchased another 25 licences.

Now we need TRAINING.
We look for a professional trainer who knows the program well and can let us have a 2-3 hours training session to understand fully all features of the program.

We are well equipped with Video-live-training-tools, so the person can sit "anywhere" on the world.

English language is OK, German preferred (or both).

Can you please put us in contact with a professional trainer asap?

With kind regards,
Ulli Grauert
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, ulrichgrauert

We do not directly offer any video or hands on tutorials beyond our manuals and knowledgebase articles. With that said, some of our German resellers do offer video tutorials and their own support articles. You can find one of those such resellers websites here:

https://www.pdf-xchange.de/pdf-xchange/ ... videos.htm

https://www.pdf-xchange.de/ekurseditor7/uebersicht.php

I do hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com