AppData\Local\Temp\PDFXEdit.Portable folder is getting massive...

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Special
User

AppData\Local\Temp\PDFXEdit.Portable folder is getting massive...

Post by Special »

So this started with v7 I think, I've went back to v6 just to check and it does not happen with that version.

I leave v7 Editor open and idle for a few hours and this folder AppData\Local\Temp\PDFXEdit.Portable gets bigger and bigger over time, when I checked it was over 3GBs, watching it now, and it seems to be periodically filling with folders such as "pdfx-{5DDE3F70-F040-4BE7-8BCBF9990A0E4599}"

Bug? Feature? How do I get it to stop...
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: AppData\Local\Temp\PDFXEdit.Portable folder is getting massive...

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Special,

are there xml files in there? This folder may be used for storing document recovery data.

Do you have any elements listed in the Document Recovery pane? It shows items when the Editor closes unexpectedly without saving changes to documents. If you do please delete them using the trash icon in the recovery pane and check to see if this folder reduces in size.

If there are xml files and no recovery data in the panel then further investigation will be required.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Special
User

Post by Special »

No xml files, just lots of .tmp and .lck files...

And what is the Document Recovery pane? or the "trash icon in the recovery pane" you speak of?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Special,

the Document Recovery Pane can be opened from the View menu/ribbon tab.

It automatically opens when starting the Editor after a crash or on closing without saving changes IF you have option "Keep recovery information when closing and discarding changes" selected in the preferences:

Can you post a screen shot of these files with details in Explorer please and we will look into this further.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Special
User

Post by Special »

I still don't know how to find that recovery window that you are showing, my settings look like this.

Maybe it's because imported my v6 settings?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi again Special,

we will investigate that temp folder issue. I am not seeing it myself but the dev team are going to try to reproduce it.

Regards the Document Recovery Pane, on the ribbon UI look to View [Tab] --> Panes --> Document Recovery:
or on the Classic Menu View --> Other Panes --> Document Recovery.

Your options are preventing the panel from opening when items are present and they also will not keep unsaved changes.

Regards the temp files, how many documents did/do you have open?

You can close the Editor, remove those temp files and start it again and there should be fine. We are keen to hear if they come back.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke