Trying Version 7

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Trying Version 7

Post by Arnold »

Version 7 does not seem to want to close and I end up with more than 1 instance listed as running in Task Manager. I had 3 and 4 instances at one point. I tried using a pristine portable version and it did the same thing.

Selecting several pdf files in Free Commander and right click printing them seems to cause multiple instances of the program. In one test the the Editor crashed when I tried this, maybe because of the problem noted above. Printing to priPrinter virtual printer. Worked fine with older versions.

Where are the Object commands such as Duplicate Annotations now? Did not see them in the Ribbon or Classic interface. Maybe just missing them.

I put the Ribbon View button and the Standard View button on the Quick Access toolbar. I had both of them pressed at the same time after I tried switched switching back from Ribbon to Standard view. It still stayed on the Ribbon view though. Thanks for assigning icons to those.

Very different but looks good. With some "as in a heap of" rearranging, I believe I can work as efficiently as in Version 6 using the regular interface. A lot of the settings, shortcuts and a toolbar were lost when I used Import Settings. Probably unavoidable as so much has changed.

Have only tried it in Windows XP. I had trouble getting it to install with the regular zip installer. Same thing happened the Windows 7 machine, so I have left that machine alone for now. I always seem to have trouble with the installer though.

Thanks.
Arnold
User

Re: Trying Version 7

Post by Arnold »

I have gone back to using Version 6 for now. The toolbar that went missing was the Rotate View Toolbar. I had added some more Icons to it for page operations. It looks like that toolbar no longer exists in Version 7.

I always have the program set to Close to System Tray as I always have the program running. Tried deselecting that option to see if the Version 7 would close. No change, program appears to be closed when X is clicked, but a quick check with Task Manager shows it is still running.

I don't know if this strictly a problem with Windows XP. I decided not to update the Windows 7 computer as I might need it to help me configure Version 7. It all depends on whether the importing of settings can be fixed. Before I switched back to Version 6 I had made some progress with configuring the new version.
2017-12-04 11_59_11-Greenshot.png
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Ah, you can actually put whatever buttons you like also in the titlebar in v.7? That is amazing :)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Yes those 2 toolbars are the Quick Access and Quick View toolbars. On the bottom row, far left is a toolbar I created and named Pages. It was very easy to create in Version 7. On the top, far right there seems to be too much space between the Close, Maximize and Minimize buttons. Maybe that section self adjusts if you have long file names.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

The Ribbon interface is nicely done too. I had one glitch when I was trying it out. I was using the Customize Toolbars feature to add an icon to the Organize tab. It seemed to work fine, but when I tried to switch back to the Classic UI, the program crashed.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Whoa, the Ribbon UI is fully customizable as well via Drag-and-Drop. It is even possible to undock every sub-Tab of every Main Tab of the ribbon and put it wherever you want on your screen(s).

While I'm not going to use the Ribbon for space saving reasons (I am convinced that the best UI for power users is a fully customizable toolbar where you put the ~27 things that you use all the time, while hiding all other 896 commands that you only need once in a while), Tracker Software's implementation of the Ribbon paradigma is still infinitely better than Microsofts, for example.

Or Ad*be's, for that matter: Acrobat DC SO HORRIBLE it's making me want to cry
:wink:
Last edited by David.P on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, Arnold.
Arnold wrote:It seemed to work fine, but when I tried to switch back to the Classic UI, the program crashed.
Can you send to us the your program-settings, probably through "Report a Problem" feature?
We want to reproduce and fix it for sure...

Thanks.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Yes I will do that. I am more concerned about the other issues I brought up in my initial post though. I would hope fixing 1 below is top priority. I cannot switch to Version 7 if I cannot get it to close properly.

1 - The program does not shut down properly in XP. Multiple instances will be running.

2 - Printing from right click context menu in Windows Explorer like program Free Commander no longer works as it should.

3 - The icons for Ribbon View and Standard View do not seem to work correctly, or be mutually exclusive, when used with the Classic UI from the Quick Launch toolbar.

4 - Where are the missing commands from the "Object" menu item such as Duplicate Annotations?

Do I need to create threads for each one of these issues?
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

1 - The program does not shut down properly in XP. Multiple instances will be running.
This issue will be fixed in new upcoming build.
2 - Printing from right click context menu in Windows Explorer like program Free Commander no longer works as it should.
We will check it.
3 - The icons for Ribbon View and Standard View do not seem to work correctly, or be mutually exclusive, when used with the Classic UI from the Quick Launch toolbar.
Yes, there is single command-item that toggles between two different UI-modes and changes its icon and text to inform user - which mode will be enabled when user will click it.
Why it looks strange for you?
4 - Where are the missing commands from the "Object" menu item such as Duplicate Annotations?
Features from Object menu were moved to Edit menu.

HTH
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Here is a screen shot of Version 7 in Ribbon Layout while the icon says it is in Standard Layout. It seems to be hit or miss. It seems to be hit or miss.
2017-12-06 15_08_30-Greenshot.png
When the program crashed I had added an icon to the Convert tab and then tried switching back to Classic Toolbars. Settings for Version 7 attached.

Thanks.
Attachments
PDFXChangeEditorSettings 323.0.zip
(112.39 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold,

which icon are you referring to as hit and miss? The one with the drop down is not designed to change, what does change with context is the icon and option in the drop down.

With the Ribbin active this changes to

With the classic active it changes to:

In both cases the icon above, on the toolbar remains the same.

Do I understand your issue correctly?

Regards the crash - what we need - as well as the settings is a crash dump.
See here for details: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... estigation

please and thank you
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

It is switching between Ribbon layout and Standard layout that is hit or miss. Please see attached. Program in Ribbon layout, but indicating it is in Standard layout.

In my first post I referred to them as Ribbon view and Standard view by mistake. Now that you also have a Ribbon UI maybe it would be good to change the names to Vertical and Horizontal layouts.
Attachments
Ribbon Layout.pdf
(157.76 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Aaaah!!! Now I understand!

Yes - it is a bug and we will fix it for 7.0.323.1

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I tried reproducing the crash, but could not make it happen. So I guess there is no need for a crash dump. In the course of the testing I used the Ribbon UI some more. I like it. This is coming from a dyed in the wool Toolbar user who has customized Version 6 quite a bit.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Arnold,

we really need the crash dump to investigate. Let us have one if it happens again?

Please and thanks.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke