Center on Comment

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MJN
User

Center on Comment

Post by MJN »

Hello,

I spend a lot of time scrolling through my Comments (I use Perimeter for wall quantity take-offs) and as a result, a lot of time hunting for the comment I've currently selected. Most of the time the Comment is located at the periferi of my (very large) monitor:

Would it be feasible to have an option along the lines of 'Center on Comments' in 'Preferences\Commenting' which would center the screen on the selected comment -at least when selected in the Comments Pane?

Thank you in advance.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Center on Comment

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello MJN,

When you click on a comment in the comments pane - the View will change to ensure that the comment clicked is visible - but it might not be in the center. It will still be selected and the selection/manipulation border will appear around it, so it should be relatively easy to locate where that comment is. I will pass your suggestion for the comment to also be centered on screen to our devs, but it will be up to them to consider it's viability and decide whether to implement it or now.

Regards,
Stefan
MJN
User

Post by MJN »

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for your answer.

I'm well aware of the things you've pointed out and it works sufficiently well. The problem arises when I'm working on very large floor plans with multiple colors -locating the highlighted comment (wall section as it is) becomes something of a hassle, often forcing me to zoom way out to see the manipulation border.

I love the Editor for the boost it has given my effectiveness, I'm just trying to push the envelope here - I recognize that I'm probably suggesting a 'nice-to-have' - feature, but If you don't ask... :wink:
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello MJN,

Appreciate your feedback and will definitely have this discussed.

Cheers,
Stefan
MJN
User

Post by MJN »

As a continuation of this thread:

Scrolling through the comments pane doesn't move the screen to that comments location anymore and it seems to be tied to how far I'm zoomed in. Zooming out somewhat helps a bit, but it is not surefire and I often find myself having to zoom out further to locate the comment.
I'm using Version 6, Build 322.7

The abovementioned issue, plus the issue of the fixed movement of comments I've addressed in another thread, plus loads of niggling little bugs in the current version is starting to annoy me no ends...
All my colleagues are happily staying with V.6 Build 319 and none of them experience my exasperation with the Editor -is there anyway to 'downgrade' (which in this case would, in fact, be an upgrade!) to an earlier build?

Thank you...
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I hope the question was not meant as a joke ...

To downgrade, just uninstall the current installation of PDF-XChange Editor V6, via Control Panel > Programs and Features.

After this, download and install an earlier version, from here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/versio ... nge-editor

To prevent your system from unwanted updates, you can best NOT install the Tracker Updater component.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... er-Updater

Best regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello MJN,

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry to hear that the latest version does not work as well for you as previous ones.
I will pass your concerns to the devs responsible, so that they can take a look and address them!

And thanks Willy for the help!

Regards,
Stefan
MJN
User

Post by MJN »

Thanks for both your replies.

No, it was not meant as a joke and I'm sorry if it came across as such -I cannot imagine anyone taking the time to troll a rather niche software forum...
I was not aware of the possibility to install an earlier version and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Top of the morning (or whatever is your local time reference).
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello MJN,

I am in the UK, so it's morning here as well, but half the team is in Western Canada - and it's just an hour past midnight over there at the time of writing this message.
I do not believe Willy implied that even if your remark was a joke it was trolling - we do try to help as much as we can and keep our replies on the subject, but a good joke here or there does cheer up the situation a bit!

Cheers,
Stefan
MJN
User

Post by MJN »

Oh, I enjoy a dirty limerick as much as the next man :)

But reading my comment again, I really cannot see how it would be meant as a joke -I would have to posses a pretty weird, elaborate sense of humour, hehe.
I can really only read Willy's comment as: I hope the question was not meant as a joke ... ('cause if it isn't, you are pretty stupid!)

I 'downgraded' and it helped a lot and now that it is done, I can see how obvious the solution was, so Willy is forgiven for implying that...

Cheers from Denmark -the land of milk, honey and the not so bright :roll:
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello MJN,

Glad that the downgrading worked!
And cheers from the almost always cloudy London!

Cheers,
Stefan