run custom sequence from all clients without requiring tool import first

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-Tools.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

helgek
User

run custom sequence from all clients without requiring tool import first

Post by helgek »

Hi,

in a many users environment I'd like to easily distribute action sequences to many users in the way that the users don't have to import the sequence first and create a shortcut to it.

An approach for me would be to export the tool (I would only select the tool I need) and then set up a commandline command that I can distribute to the users via a Network drive (through vbscript).

Is something like
"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools V6\PDFXTools.exe" -pdtex:customsequence
already possible?

Thanks,
Helge
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: run custom sequence from all clients without requiring tool import first

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Helgek,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums. You will find some relevant command line options for Tools documented here: https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxt6 ... ons_t.html

You can use the /DumpTools command to identify your custom tools, then use the /ExportTools command as documented. Finally, you can use the /ImportSettings command to import your tools.

Code: Select all

PDFXTools.exe /ImportSettings "c:\PDF-Tools_Exchange.pdtex"
I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Patrick,

thank you for your prompt response.

I tried the ImportSettings on my build 322.5 but it doesn't work (simplified commandline setup using a pdtex file directly under c:\ without spaces in the file Name, I drag and dropped the file into the cmd window to make sure the filename is correct). Instead it opens PDF-Tools. The DumpTools command works.

Would the UID of the tool be the same on all clients to which the settings are imported? If I run the import each time beforehand I execute a tool via script would it automatically overwrite the existing tool?

Thanks,
Helge
Last edited by helgek on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Additional note: I also tried /ImportTools because the documentation talks also mentions an /ExportTools command.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Helge.
I tried the ImportSettings on my build 322.5 but it doesn't work (simplified commandline setup using a pdtex file directly under c:\ without spaces in the file
We found one issue with /ImportSettings so it is unusable temporarily but will be fixed in the near future. Instead this, to import tools(or other previously exported settings), use simple:

PDFXTools.exe "c:\PDF-Tools_Exchange.pdtex"

- in that case be sure that file has correct .pdtex extension.
Would the UID of the tool be the same on all clients to which the settings are imported? If I run the import each time beforehand I execute a tool via script would it automatically overwrite the existing tool?
Yes, it keeps the UIDs of custom tools as well.

HTH.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Vasyl,

thank you, the command works but it asks for a confirmation which settings shall be imported. Can I somehow avoid this dialog?

The uid remained the same indeed when I deleted the tool and reimported it. I didn't test on a second device yet but this already looks promising.

Thanks,
Helge
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Update: Tested Import on second device. UID remains the same. Great! So the dialog is the only thing keeping me from full automatization.
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

helgek wrote: the dialog is the only thing keeping me from full automatization.
Hi helgek,

I have workaround for this issue. You can use vbs file to automatically close the dialog by "pressing" Enter. Create text file with extension .vbs. Put the following text in it.
Set objArg = WScript.Arguments
if objArg.count = 0 then WScript.Quit
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
command = "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools V6\PDFXTools.exe " & objArg(0)
' "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools V6\PDFXTools.exe " is the path to installed PDF Tools. `Replace it if your path differs.
Set WshExec = WshShell.Exec(command)
WScript.Sleep 1000
WshShell.AppActivate WshExec.ProcessID
WshShell.SendKeys("{TAB}")
WshShell.SendKeys("{ENTER}")

run file.vbs <importtoolsFile> in command line and hopefully the issue will be solved. The scrpit works only with single command line argument
Also you can find my version of the script in attachment.
ImportTools.zip
(444 Bytes) Downloaded 141 times
. Just change file extension from .txt to .vbs

Kind Regards.
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

I have another version of the script
if not objArg.count = 2 then WScript.Quit
command = objArg(0) & " " & objArg(1)
WScript.Sleep 1000

It takes two arguments: the path to PDFXTools.exe and the path to imported file. Just run script.vbs path1 path2.
In attachment you can find my version. Change the extension from .txt to .vbs
Attachments
test1.zip
(343 Bytes) Downloaded 156 times
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Many thanks for the suggestions DenisO!!!

helgek - please let us know if those helped!

Cheers,
Stefan
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi DenisO,

thank you so much for your kind help!

You're script works perfectly! I was able to fully automatize the word to pdf workflow + adding a digital signature to all converted documents.

One should add WScript.Quit add the end of the final script to release the PDF Tools process which locks the .pdtex workflow file.

Thanks again,
Helge
DenisO wrote:
helgek wrote: the dialog is the only thing keeping me from full automatization.
Hi helgek,

I have workaround for this issue. You can use vbs file to automatically close the dialog by "pressing" Enter. Create text file with extension .vbs. Put the following text in it.
if objArg.count = 0 then WScript.Quit
command = "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools V6\PDFXTools.exe " & objArg(0)
' "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools V6\PDFXTools.exe " is the path to installed PDF Tools. `Replace it if your path differs.
WScript.Sleep 1000

run file.vbs <importtoolsFile> in command line and hopefully the issue will be solved. The scrpit works only with single command line argument
Also you can find my version of the script in attachment.ImportTools.zip . Just change file extension from .txt to .vbs

Kind Regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Helge,

Glad to hear this solved the problem!

And many thanks for the idea DenisO!

Cheers,
Stefan
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

A short follow-up:

The solution doesn't work reliably on all clients I tested and some online research about AppActivate and SendKeys confirms by other user's experiences that this solution can behave differently on different systems, influenced by multiple parameters (e.g. other applications interfering because of their windows behaviour). Because of that I'd strongly suggest to definitely resolve the import issue as soon as possible. I'd be very grateful if you could post an update here once there's an official release without this problem.

Thanks,
Helge
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Helge,

Thanks for the follow up and update.
Sorry to hear that the workaround offered is not universal :(, and as for the update with the fix - it is planned for around the middle of October if all goes smoothly!

You can check the version history here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... ls/history
And as soon as a new build number appears - the build would be our as well!

Regards,
Stefan
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

helgek wrote:A short follow-up:
The solution doesn't work reliably on all clients
Hi Helge,
could you please describe the issues you entcountered? May be I can help with them.
Best Regards
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Denis,

again thank you for your kind offer. The problem with replication of the issue is that I couldn't replicate it on my own system. Additionaly on other systems running the PDF workflow vbscript the first time I saw an error message from PDF Tools that it couldn't find the custom workflow. Interestingly also this error could not be replicated a second time once the script was executed once on a client system (e.g. by deleting the custom workflow in PDF Tools and running the script again).

I have adjusted the vbscript a bit adding a repetition of the appactivate command and also adding an appactivate = true check. Unfortunately I didn't yet have the opportunity to test on more "virgin" systems with these adjustments and it will probably take another one or two weeks before I will have the opportunity/time. As there seems to be a chance that the new PDF Tools release is due soon I think one should not invest too much energy into this regarding sendkeys (and fortunately I'm also not under specific time pressure to have it working completely smoothly).

@TrackerSoftware: I'd suggest that for the upcoming release you should also test a script doing a first import of custom workflow + execution of this custom workflows on a system with PDF Tools installed for the first time.

Thanks,
Helge
DenisO wrote:
helgek wrote:A short follow-up:
The solution doesn't work reliably on all clients
Hi Helge,
could you please describe the issues you entcountered? May be I can help with them.
Best Regards
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Helge,

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes - the new build is approaching fast - with the release planned for a bit later this month, but I will pass your observations to Vasyl so that he can run some tests similar to yours when fixing this!

Cheers,
Stefan
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, Helge.

For sure, we already fixed that issue and tested it well for the new upcoming build - the /ImportSetting will run for you without any UI by default.
Please wait new build.

And sorry again for such inconveniences.. :(

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Thank you Vasyl. I'm looking forward to integrate the new version once it is available. I'm glad you're working on these automatization features. In a corporate environment they offer really interesting use cases.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team wrote:Hi, Helge.

For sure, we already fixed that issue and tested it well for the new upcoming build - the /ImportSetting will run for you without any UI by default.
Please wait new build.

And sorry again for such inconveniences.. :(

Best
Regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Glad we could assist helgek!

Cheers,
Stefan
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Stefan, all,

I forgot to mention one more suggestion regarding the command line parameters. It would be really nice if one could pass a start path for the file dialog showing up when you have a "select files" dialog in your workflow (I don't use the English version so I don't know what the concrete name for the file selection dialog workflow item is in the English version).

Thanks,
Helge
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Helge,

I believe this is handled by windows - so not something we control.
But through the command line you can skip the file selection dialogue all together if you pass the full list of files and have set the tool to not display that same dialogue!

Regards,
Stefan
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Stefan,

the api of Windows - at least with VB and VBA - allows you to set a start path. I'm pretty sure this is also possible with the dialog control PDF Tools uses. But you're right, I can possibly also set up my own dialog control to pass the file filenames to PDF Tools. I will have a look at it.

Thanks,
Helge
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hi Helge,

I believe this is handled by windows - so not something we control.
But through the command line you can skip the file selection dialogue all together if you pass the full list of files and have set the tool to not display that same dialogue!

Regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Helge,

I will pass your suggestion to my colleagues - but in the mean time please try to work with passing the file paths directly!

Cheers,
Stefan
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Stefan,

I just modified my script using my own dialog and the file paths passed to PDF Tools are being processed correctly.

You should know that my solution of running my own file dialog works only because in the corporate environment I'm using the PDF workflow in every client has MS Office installed by default. I'm using MS Word API to show a file dialog. Using standard tools of windows via VBScript would not make it possible to have a native dialog with individual start folder and multi-selection of files. So my solution is not a solution for all PDF Tools workflow scenarios. Because of these constraints I'd still recommend you to consider the feature like I sketched it.

Best,
Helge
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hi Helge,

I will pass your suggestion to my colleagues - but in the mean time please try to work with passing the file paths directly!

Cheers,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing this Helge,

Indeed - what you have utilized is not something everyone could have so it indeed a custom solution for your environment and needs.
I've already passed the above suggestion for consideration, but my colleagues that can look at this are in another office and have not yet started for the day.

Regards,
Stefan

p.s. I've just discussed your use case with the project leader for Tools - and unfortunately this seems like quite a niche feature to be implemented in general. We believe that the command line should be used with as little user interaction as possible - and the file paths passed directly without letting the user chose them there.
jstraat
User

Post by jstraat »

The workaround code worked! But it only worked for me when I incorporated extra delays between the steps. Otherwise the dialog wasn't closed. I'm posting my example in case it helps anyone. Thanks DenisO, helgek and others for the ideas.

== from ImportSettings.bat

set PDF_TOOLS="C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools V6\PDFXTools.exe"
set importSettings="D:\ImportSettings\Create_book.pdtex"
.\ImportSettings.vbs %PDF_TOOLS% %importSettings%

== ImportSettings.vbs

if not objArg.count = 2 then WScript.Quit
command = """" & objArg(0) & """" & " " & """" & objArg(1) & """"
WScript.Sleep 2000
WScript.Sleep 2000
WScript.Sleep 2000
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello jstraat,

Glad to hear that you managed to get it solved!
Hope that the same code will be useful to someone else as well!

Cheers,
Stefan
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi jstraat,

thank you for your follow-up on this. I also experimented with delays but in the end I realized that each system would behave differently regarding speed so that it didn't solve my issues with sendkeys in a satisfactory way. Also a longer delay may motivate users to click somewhere else in between so that the sendkeys sequence may lose focus.

I guess we're best off to look forward to the next update which hopefully resolves this issue.

Best,
Helge
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Helge,

The new build was scheduled for today, but will be delayed with 24h - due to us discovering a critical bug with the PDF Saver that makes it necessary to work on a fix first before we do the release.

Regards,
Stefan
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Stefan,

thank you for the update!

Helge
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Stefan,

I installed the new PDF Tools release successfully but I still get the import dialog.

Regards,
Helge
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

helgek wrote:Hi Stefan,

I installed the new PDF Tools release successfully but I still get the import dialog.

Regards,
Helge
Hi helgek,
I've just tried new version of PDFTools and everything works fine. Maybe somethin went wrong during instalation. Check the version and date. They should be as shown in attachment
Attachments
Снимок.JPG
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Denis,

"Version 7.0, Build 323.0" is what I get in the version info. I haven't restarted my device until now as I wasn't asked to do so by the installer. Also I wanted to give you the opportunity to analyze the issue without potential distortions of the system state.

Regards,
Helge
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

Hi Helgek,
what command do you use when tools show the import dialog?
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Denis,

I'm sorry, I had overlooked that with V7 the program path has changed. Now with the adjusted path I'm facing another issue nevertheless: PDF Tools crashes immeditately when I run the following command:

"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools\PDFXTools.exe " "C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\PDF_WORKFLOW\SIGN_PDF_WORKFLOW_V7.pdtex"

%USERPROFILE% is of course being replaced in my script with the user name.

To make sure that the pdtex from V6 file is not causing the issue I recreated the workflow manually in PDF Tools V7 and overwrote the pdtex file by exporting the workflow from V7.

I also ran the command from command line to make sure that the problem is not VBScript related.

Regards,
Helge
DenisO wrote:Hi Helgek,
what command do you use when tools show the import dialog?
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

Hi Helgek,

what tool do you import? Can you import the same file over UI Options->Import Tools?
If it is possible, attach the file so I can try to reproduce the issue.

Best regards
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Denis,

import works fine. Please find the respective file attached.

Regards,
Helge
DenisO wrote:Hi Helgek,

what tool do you import? Can you import the same file over UI Options->Import Tools?
If it is possible, attach the file so I can try to reproduce the issue.

Best regards
Attachments
pdf_workflow.zip
(1.32 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

Hi Helge,

I've tried to import your file. But everything works fine on my side.
Does the application crash on other import files and can you import the file from different location?
Can you import attached tool?

Regards
Attachments
TestCreateFromImages.zip
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

Hi Helge,
what OS do you use?
Best regards
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Denis,

PDF Tools crashes also with the file you attached.

My system info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name *****
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model 20CJS0EJ1K
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU LENOVO_MT_20CJ_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad T550
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5300U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2295 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO N11ET39W (1.15 ), 26.07.2016
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 1.06
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer LENOVO
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale *****
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.1378"
User Name GLOBAL\*****
Time Zone W. Europe Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16,0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15,9 GB
Available Physical Memory 2,58 GB
Total Virtual Memory 32,9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 15,7 GB
Page File Space 17,0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Device Guard Virtualization based security Not enabled
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Regards,
Helge
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Helge

can we get a crash dump from that please?
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... estigation
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

Hi Helge,
try to replace your "Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools\PDFXTools.exe" file by the file from attachment and try to import any tool. Hopefully with this executable there will be no crash
Regards
Attachments
PDFXTools.x64.08122017.zip
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 117 times
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Denis,

with this file there's no crash. At the same time nothing else happens. I don't see the file selection dialog as set in the pdtex workflow file. Via the GUI it works as expected.

Regards,
Helge
DenisO wrote:Hi Helge,
try to replace your "Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools\PDFXTools.exe" file by the file from attachment and try to import any tool. Hopefully with this executable there will be no crash
Regards
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

helgek wrote: At the same time nothing else happens. I don't see the file selection dialog as set in the pdtex workflow file. Via the GUI it works as expected.
]
Hi Helge,
glad to hear that the issue with crash is gone. Can you be more specific about the issue with file selection dialog? Is the tool imported?
If you what to see Tool selection dialog during import from cmd line write /ImportTools:showui=yes <yourfilename>.
Best Regards
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Dennis,

the tool gets imported.

The first step of my tool/workflow is "choose input files". Another one is "Add digital signature" (with settings UI activated). Both dialogs don't appear. I assume that the tool/workflow is not being executed after import.

Regards,
Helge
DenisO wrote:
helgek wrote: At the same time nothing else happens. I don't see the file selection dialog as set in the pdtex workflow file. Via the GUI it works as expected.
]
Hi Helge,
glad to hear that the issue with crash is gone. Can you be more specific about the issue with file selection dialog? Is the tool imported?
If you what to see Tool selection dialog during import from cmd line write /ImportTools:showui=yes <yourfilename>.
Best Regards
DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

Hi Helge,
please try the following command.
"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools\PDFXTools.exe" /ImportTools "D:\pdf_workflow.pdtex" /RunTool "{F5551CA2-1D87-4444-87DC5CA57AE301A2}"

It imports the tool PDF_SIGN_WORKFLOW_V7 from your previous post and than run it. In order to run custom tool you need to know its identifier (in our case it is {F5551CA2-1D87-4444-87DC5CA57AE301A2}), this id is unique for all custom tools. To get this id you can use UI right click on tool -> Copy tool identifier or you can dump tool in text file by using /DumpTool <dumpfilename> command.
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Dennis,

on my system this works well. Also when I delete the workflow again in PDFXTools before I re-run the command.

I will do one more test on a different system, hopefully tomorrow. Then I will give you another update here on how this worked out.

Thanks and regards,
Helge
"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Tools\PDFXTools.exe" /ImportTools "D:\pdf_workflow.pdtex" /RunTool "{F5551CA2-1D87-4444-87DC5CA57AE301A2}"

It imports the tool PDF_SIGN_WORKFLOW_V7 from your previous post and than run it. In order to run custom tool you need to know its identifier (in our case it is {F5551CA2-1D87-4444-87DC5CA57AE301A2}), this id is unique for all custom tools. To get this id you can use UI right click on tool -> Copy tool identifier or you can dump tool in text file by using /DumpTool <dumpfilename> command.
helgek
User

Post by helgek »

Hi Dennis,

I have good news. The test on another system (Win10, 64 bit) worked well too. The other system never ran a PDF workflow before so it was an ideal test environment.

Important to note: When I tested with the official executable of PDFXTools the workflow ran well but this time PDFXTools crashed afterwards (instead of at the beginning as it did on my system). When I replaced the executable with the one you provided here in the thread recently there was no crash at all (like on my system after I had replaced the official executable).

Regards,
Helge
helgek wrote:Hi Dennis,

on my system this works well. Also when I delete the workflow again in PDFXTools before I re-run the command.

I will do one more test on a different system, hopefully tomorrow. Then I will give you another update here on how this worked out.

Thanks and regards,
Helge

DenisO
Site Admin

Post by DenisO »

Hi Helge,
that's really good news :)
Best regards,
Denis
Denis Oleksenko
Software Developer