Build 322.3 doesn't restore Last View Page when opening PDFs

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

peedee_5
User

Build 322.3 doesn't restore Last View Page when opening PDFs

Post by peedee_5 »

Hello,

As I couldn't find any post describing this exact issue, I decided to start a new one (I apologize if I AM duplicating an existing topic).

After installing the May updates, the Editor stopped restoring last viewed page of documents from history. After rolling back to the last March build, it all got back to normal.

Could this be a bug or it's my settings-related, somehow?

Best regards,
peedee_5
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Build 322.3 doesn't restore Last View Page when opening PDFs

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Peedee_5,

Thanks for the post - While the settings should have been retained after the update, can you please check under Edit --> Preferences --> Page Display and make sure that the Restor the last used view of document... option is enabled?

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
peedee_5
User

Post by peedee_5 »

Hi Will,

thanks for the reply. Indeed, normally, the setting used to be carried over after updates. Apparently, not this time, though. I've just checked. The last page view is still not restored. I've gone to the previous build now and it works again. Attached, you will find some screenshots of the settings.

Best regards,
peedee_5
Attachments
pref_page_disp.PNG
doc_props.PNG
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi peedee_5,

Thanks for those - Please try unchecking the two Respect Document's Settings boxes and it should work (just tested here).

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
peedee_5
User

Post by peedee_5 »

Hello,

I've just done it and unfortunately, the issue is still there. The history items seem to be added but Last Viewed Page is still not loaded :-(. So I'm back to the March build again. If there is anything I could do to help you reproduce the issue, just let me know, please.

The issue is even more strange because it happens with any PDF book I have (here is a sample of one: http://helion.pl/pobierz-fragment/cwcsh4/pdf). But there's no issue when I create any document in Word and save it as PDF.

Regards,
peedee_5
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello,

Thank you for the post. This is a known issue for which there is a development ticket. It seems that whenever some changes have previously been made to the initial view settings of a document, and that "Restore last used page layout and zoom..." the file is always opened at the page and preference specified by the document and not by the Editor's own setting to open to the last view.

For example, in 'A.pdf' no changes were made to the initial view settings in the document properties. As such, when the file is reopened, we see the previous view. With 'A1.pdf' some changes were made, then reverted and saved. These files appear to be identical, but A1 always opens to page one (or whatever is specified in the initial view settings of the document properties).

This may have been fixed for build 322.4. Please try it here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
peedee_5
User

Post by peedee_5 »

Hi Patrick,

thanks for the reply. I'll stay with build 321 until the issue is resolved, then, as this is one of the features that actually drove me to use PDF-XChange software in the first place. I've also tested 322.4 and the issue is still there, unfortunately.

Is there a way of knowing when the issue is resolved? E.g. a ticket number that I can be on a look-out for?

Best regards,
peedee_5
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello,

The ticket number is RT#3912. Unfortunately, a time-frame is not available at this time.

Thank you!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
christian kuhlmann
User

Post by christian kuhlmann »

Hi,
may I ask whether this bug was resolved in 322.4? Unfortunately I'm experiencing a very similar issue where the page of some documents is not remembered in build 322.4, so I'm wondering whether this is a new bug or just the one reported here.
Also, is there a workaround available for this?

Best regards,
Chris
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Chris,

There has been no movement on the ticket, but we released build 322.5 last night - it was mostly to update some code that is needed for one of the third party plug-ins (DropBox) - as they did some changes at their end - and we had to issue an update ourselves. There are some bug fixes included with this build as well - but the one discussed above is not explicitly mentioned, so please download and give the new build a try, and let us know how it goes!
We will update the version history pages with the actual changes done for 322.5 a bit later today.

Regards,
Stefan
christian kuhlmann
User

Hi Stefan,
as always, thanks for the quick reply.
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:[...] please download and give the new build a try, and let us know how it goes!
Unfortunately the information from the ticket is correct, this issue is still present in Build 322.5.
Please note that this bug in the history also breaks the session feature for files affected, since it will not recall the state that was saved any more, even if the "Use the History to restore last document's view position" checkbox in the "Manage Sessions" dialogue is unchecked. 321.0 however is able to correctly recall sessions written in 322.5, so the session files are intact.

I'll use a portable 321.0 in the meantime since this bug means lots of extra scrolling and searching. Hope it will be fixed soon. Similar to peedee_5, the history feature (and now the sessions) is one of the things I value most in the editor.

Best regards,
Chris
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Chris,

Thanks for testing - I will add that extra info int he ticket - and we will continue to work on it!

Regards,
Stefan
Special
User

Post by Special »

Ugh, adding my voice to this issue as well, I'm on the latest 322.5 build and every time I open my PDFs they default to the first page instead of the page I was on when I closed the editor. I haven't mucked around with settings in a long time so nothing should have changed on my end, I've combed the settings also and everything seems to be checked that should be checked for this behavior to be to my liking, but still no go.

Now that I'm back to working on PDFs lately I need this to not be a problem, so what build should I go back to before this regression happened? Also where can I even download old versions of the Editor? I don't want to Google up some third party site if I can get it from an official source.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Special,

You can find the older builds here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/versio ... nge-editor
And while I am not sure why or when this started happening - try going back to 321 first and see if the issue is still there.

Regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

EDIT: I've changed my thoughts and replaced the original message by this new one.

There is indeed a difference in behavior when the PDF's initial view setting "Open to page" has been touched or not.

If yes, then the activated option "Restore the last used page layout and zoom settings, while opening a document from the recent list", is not acting correctly for what concerns the last viewed position in the PDF. Instead, it opens the PDF at its "Open to page" position.

Maybe, via Edit > Preferences > Page Display, there should just be an additional check box "Respect document's settings" for what concerns the "Open to page" parameter of a PDF.

Best regards.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

Do you mean like this:

Sorry if I have missed the marker here...

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Yes, I mean something like that.

Currently, we already have the check boxes "Respect document's settings" for "Page Layout" and "Page Zoom" (Magnification), and - if possible - it would be good to have an additional one for "Open to page" (Respect document's "Open to page" setting).

And to be correct, the sentence "Restore the last used page layout and zoom settings, while opening a document from the recent list" should be extended with (something like) "the last viewed position".

Best regards.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

HI Willy,

Deselecting the 'Restore last used view..." setting should cause the Editor to respect the document's settings. There is an issue here that does not appear to have been fixed, but the ticket has been set to Resolved status. I've asked for clarification if this is already fixed for a future build, or if the ticket should be re-opened.

Thank you!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Deactivating the "Restore the last used page layout ..." will indeed respect 'all' the document's settings, but in case if that check box is ON, it is just interesting that the following three options can be selected and mixed, independently from each other:
- page layout
- page zoom
- last viewed position

The information in the previous posts in this topic should be sufficient for your developers for a last verification of the (already closed ?) ticket.

Best regards.
JimmyD
User

Post by JimmyD »

I came here to report the same issue. I heavily rely on this feature in combination with the session manager. And I always recommend PDFX to people based on features like this. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Thanks in advance.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for adding your voice - Patrick will give us an update with the ticket as soon as there are any news.

Cheers,
Stefan
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi All,

Thank you for your patience. I am afraid that this issue is still present, and the ticket status is set to 'Open'.

I am afraid there is no further information available at this time.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
christian kuhlmann
User

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:Hi All,
Thank you for your patience. I am afraid that this issue is still present, and the ticket status is set to 'Open'.
Hi Patrick,
thanks for your update. Does open mean the issue is not even assigned to anyone or does it "just" mean its not currently worked on?
I have to say I'm a bit surprised that such a regression is not fixed for several months. Especially as it has a large impact on the usability and seems like an easy thing to fix. Oh well, seems like I'm staying on the old version a bit longer. Still hope it gets resolved soon.
Anyway, thanks for keeping us posted.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Christian,

The ticket was reopened because the issue originally reported in it seems to still be present.
It is assigned to the same developer as before - and is due to be worked on again as soon as it can be included in the pipeline of tasks to be resolved.

I do not have a time frame at this moment though.

Regards,
Stefan
JimmyD
User

Post by JimmyD »

Is there any news on this issue?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi JimmyD,

nothing on there yet. It is summer for most of us and a number of the dev team are taking holidays so the normal state of operations is not in effect regards work on tickets.

I expect this item to be addressed in the "normal" course of events and hopefully will be done for the next major build slated for September.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
christian kuhlmann
User

Sorry to ask again, but are there any news? September has passed and no new version of PDF Editor has been released.
Must be a pretty tricky issue if it takes four months to fix a regression that can always be reproduced...
Special
User

Post by Special »

I really hope this gets resolved, I don't want to have to wait for another, another release for a chance at this getting fixed.

Fun fact: This was THE feature that made me switch from SumatraPDF to PDF X-Change Editor as my default viewer for home use.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi All,

Apologies for the delay of the new build. The plans are that it will be released before the end of this month.
And if I may add - this new build includes much more than just this fix - and that is why it is taking us that long!

Thanks for your patience and understanding with this!

Regards,
Stefan
JimmyD
User

Post by JimmyD »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Apologies for the delay of the new build. The plans are that it will be released before the end of this month.
This month has almost ended.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

It seems like the new build "... had to be delayed, and is now planned for release in November."

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/forum3 ... 51#p117551
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi All,

Yes - sorry to be the bringer of not so good news - but indeed we are still finalizing some things that are preventing us from releasing the new build as soon as we were anticipating a month ago.

Regards,
Stefan
christian kuhlmann
User

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Yes - sorry to be the bringer of not so good news - but indeed we are still finalizing some things that are preventing us from releasing the new build as soon as we were anticipating a month ago.
Sorry to say that, and not directed at the support staff here who are doing a great job, but this is getting a bit ridiculous.
I'm really wondering why it takes over five months to solve such a simple regression. I know that there might be an architectural issue that might require a more involved solution, but I can't believe that such a simple issue couldn't be addressed by a temporary fix in a maintenance release. I'm really wondering why I'm on maintenance when the latest release I can use productively is six months old... this issue is severely affecting the user experience and the sessions feature.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Christian et al,

I can appreciate your frustration and also your patience. I have confirmation that this will be fixed in the initial V7 release.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Hello, please let me add here (also) the question if the issue has indeed been fixed in version 7.

A similar (or the same?) problem was reported in another thread (viewtopic.php?f=62&t=29808). In my recent posting there I have described my own difficulties concerning the restore of the last viewed page I still have with version 7 (see viewtopic.php?f=62&t=29808#p126763).

As all these issues seem to be connected, I thought it would be useful to refer to the matter in both threads.

Thank you.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Peter,
Thank you for the follow-up, I've asked for additional information from you over in the other thread:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=29808&p=126793#p126793
As well as tried to clarify some of the points that may be difficult to understand.
Hope it helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com