Open, Save prompts

This forum is for plugins used in the PDF-XChange Editor only.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

eb2412
User

Open, Save prompts

Post by eb2412 »

We got approval to remove Adobe Reader from most of our Desktop's. Problem in our pilot group for this came up quick. As soon as we remove Adobe we are getting prompts to open or save the PDF docs. Adobe was not even the default reader for PDF docs so this was a surprise. I looked at several sites about how to remove this function but none of them are working. It does open when you click open but my users are forced to do so very often and it is slowing down the work flow. Anyone know an easy way to fix this?
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Open, Save prompts

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Can you please tell us when you get these prompts.

Does it happen when you click hyperlinks to PDF's on internet pages?
If so, and after confirmation, do the files open in a separate window or in the browser window?
Are you using Internet Explorer 11 / Chrome / other browser ...

Does it happen in other circumstances?

In PDF-XChange Editor, via Edit > Preferences > File Associations, you have several options to set if this application may be the default for opening PDF's, if you like to view PDF's "in" the browser, and so on ...

Is there any relation with one of your previous posts ...
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 65&t=27456
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Willy!

eb2412 - Please do provide the information requested by Willy, otherwise we cannot assist.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
eb2412
User

Post by eb2412 »

We use IE11, it is happening when we click a hyperlink and the doc does open in the browser. I have changed the settings with file association within PDF-Xchange. It is happening for all PDF files in IE. This is all within the same project but I do not think it is related. I think this is a setting on Windows and not PDF-Xchange.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I suppose that it must be related to the fact that PDFs are not seen as "trusted" files by Internet Explorer 11 (IE11).
Some people do have the problem, some have not. It is not clear to me which option is playing a role in this.

I remember that a while ago (in IE11) it was possible to click "Save" after having clicked onto a hyperlink towards a PDF.
After that, the banner at the bottom of the IE11 window is still there, and you can click onto "View downloads".
In earlier days, there was an option to do a right mouse click on the PDF in the list, and then click "Always open ...".
I do not know if you still see this opportunity... I do not anymore ...

Best regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello all,

@Willy - thanks for the help.

@eb2412 - Is your IE in protected mode or not? Can the protected mode be turned off ?
If not that prompt might always show.

Also - if you are having issues with e.g. the files always opening in the stand alone Editor - you can try the registry "hack" from the attached file.

Regards,
Stefan
Attachments
IEPluginEditor.zip
(401 Bytes) Downloaded 262 times
eb2412
User

Post by eb2412 »

The effected users don't have Internet Explorer in protected mode. Is there anything else that might make this popup?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi eb2412,

I'd like a better sense of what this message is being generated by. Can you give us a screen shot?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com