Watermarks now when printing virtually with PDF XChange Lite  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Clairvaux
User

Watermarks now when printing virtually with PDF XChange Lite

Post by Clairvaux »

Please. I now have watermarks on my virtual prints by Lite. This was not the case before. I updated recently through the embedded updater. This seems to have broken things.

I now have PDF X-Change Editor v.6.0.320.1, Free, Pro functions deactivated. Before, I had installed PDF X-Lite Free/Home v.6.0.318.1 also. This seems to have been erased by the upgrade. The shortcut does not work any more.

What is the status of this Lite program ? The site says it can/must be downloaded separately, but it also says it comes with Editor. Contradictory.

Home user here. Want to virtually print from Editor, and from other programs (Word...).

Thank you.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Watermarks now when printing virtually with PDF XChange

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Clairvaux,

Thanks for the post - Do you have a license, or are you using 'Lite for Home Use' (it's a separate installer)? If you have a license, please email support@pdf-xchange.com with a link back to this topic, and your license key. Please do NOT post your license key here!.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Clairvaux
User

Post by Clairvaux »

Hello Will,

No, I don't have a licence. I had Editor + Lite installed separately, then the internal Tracker Software updating app did its job at some point, and I think it erased my separate Lite install, and replaced it with an install within the updated Editor.

So I can't even uninstall the watermark-producing Lite, in order to reinstall my old non-watermarking (presumably) Lite executable, since it's not listed separately in the installed programs.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Watermarks now when printing virtually with PDF XChange  SOLVED

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

I think the best thing you can do is:

1) Uninstall PDF-XChange Editor V6 completely via Control Panel > Programs and Features.

2) After this, download "PDF-XChange Editor Plus" V6.0 (build 321.0) - 32-bit or 64-bit MSI-installer.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... nge-editor

Run the installation, and during the installation, select "Custom Setup" and do not install the component "PDF-XChange Lite V6". You can do this via the red cross: "Entire feature will be unavailable".

3) Once that PDF-XChange Editor is installed, download "PDF-XChange Lite FREE" - 32-bit or 64-bit MSI-installer.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... hange-lite

Run the installation.

After this, you should be able to print to PDF without having publicity stamps.

Best regards.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Willy :D

Clairvaux - Willy's solution is the only way to get Lite for Home Use.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Clairvaux
User

Post by Clairvaux »

Thanks, Willy & Will... will do that. :wink:

For anybody reading this thread and having the same problem, I would add (presumably ; corrections welcome) : don't use Tracker Update. Or use it only in order to be alerted, but go to the site and do the update manually.

Oh, and export your settings before uninstalling and reinstalling, if you need to do the same thing as me. This will save you a lot of time if you've done any customisation at all.

As an aside, I would like to take advantage of this thread to extend a wish to Tracker Software : please consider doing some day a complete overhaul of your product line. The software is splendid, but the differences between products and the nature of the free/paid-for limit is a mess (as this incident demonstrates). They are almost impossible to understand, despite all the explanations on your site (and there are many).

I have written pages and pages of notes to myself in order to make some sens of those, and published many comments on Web sites in order to advise prospective users confused about PDF X-Change products. However I still got bitten here.
Clairvaux
User

Post by Clairvaux »

Just one thing, Willy :
Willy Van Nuffel wrote: 2) After this, download "PDF-XChange Editor Plus" V6.0 (build 321.0) - 32-bit or 64-bit MSI-installer.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... nge-editor
That would be PDF-XChange Editor, right ? PDF-XChange Editor Plus is a paid-for version, isn't it ?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Clairvaux,

Thanks for the post. Editor [Free], PDF-XChange Editor, and PDF-XChange Editor plus all share the same installer and program executable. The differences depend entirely on the license used if any.

If you are using a 64 bit operating system, you will need to use either the .zip or 64 bit .msi installer. If you not sure what your system architecture is, please use the .zip installer. It will detect your system architecture and install accordingly.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Clairvaux
User

Post by Clairvaux »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote: Editor [Free], PDF-XChange Editor, and PDF-XChange Editor plus all share the same installer and program executable. The differences depend entirely on the license used if any.
Thanks so much for clarifying this, Patrick.

It's funny, but I almost disbelieved you at first : how can it be the same installer, if they took pains to have two separate download buttons, with each its own submenu ?
XChange Editor download.pdf
(753.54 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
So I had to try both buttons and hash both downloads : indeed, they are the same ! That's exactly what I meant when I wrote about maddeningly obscure product differentiation... except that I hadn't even realised about this particular bit of obfuscation !

Fortunately, answers are always prompt and forthcoming here...
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Fortunately, answers are always prompt and forthcoming here...
Thanks for the feedback. We have had internal discussions regarding our admittedly confusing product lineup. We are often blind to it because we see it every day for many years. I hope we can make it more clear as time passes.

Thanks!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Clairvaux
User

Post by Clairvaux »

Patrick,

Good to know my concern is shared. Anyway, the few times I've requested help from this forum the response was quick and efficient, even for a free user such as me. I consider this to be a very important factor in selecting software.

Incidentally, I have now uninstalled/reinstalled as advised, and PDF X-Change Lite Home Free (putting in all words here just to be sure*) is working again without watermarks, from within PDF X-Change Editor as well as from Word, Excel or other applications.

I did have to do some deep-uninstalling of remnants with Revo Uninstaller Pro. Hopefully I did not break anything in the process.
___

(*) Fun fact (one of those that could be quickly corrected at no cost to simplify the product line) : the non-watermarking version of "Lite", the one which is not authorised for commercial work (if my understanding is correct), is called PDF X-Lite Free on the website. However, when you download "PDF X-Lite Free", you get a file called... PDF X-Lite Home.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Clairvaux,

Glad to hear you managed to get the Lite Home version up and running correctly again.
As for the names - I will bring this up on our next meeting and see what can be done in that respect!

Cheers,
Stefan
David.P
User

Re: Watermarks now when printing virtually with PDF XChange Lite

Post by David.P »

I also suddenly get watermarks when printing with the "Lite V6" printer. I have both the Lite and the Standard printers installed and would like to use both. The Lite printer does not accept my Plus license.

Alternatively, is there a way to make a duplicate of the Standard V6 printer in Windows (i.e. to have two Standard V6 printers in Windows "Printers and Devices"), but with different printer settings?
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David,

We cannot deal with licensing issues here, so please email support directly with your license key and we'll advise further.

As for the installation of multiple printers, please see here:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxs6 ... ons_s.html

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi Will,

actually, the problem went away by re-installing PDF XChange Lite (or was it "Lite Free" or "Home"... not quite sure :o ).

But thanks anyway for the link to the Knowledgebase article about "installing multiple instances of PDF-XChange Standard"! That's one useful feature.

Cheers
David
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

No worries David :D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)