Automatically create form fields?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

sacdude
User

Automatically create form fields?

Post by sacdude »

Hello,

We're evaluating PDF X-Change Editor as a potential replacement for various versions of Acrobat.

One thing that's relatively easy to do with Acrobat is have it find where it "thinks" fields should be on a non-fillable form, and place fields in those locations.

In other words, you can take a nonfillable .pdf, run it through Acrobat, and it will spit out a fillable .pdf. We can then tweak the fields if necessary.

Does this functionality exist in PDF X-Change Editor of any version, or any other Tracker software?

Thanks,

sacdude
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Automatically create form fields?

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello,

Thank you for your interest and welcome to our forums! I am afraid we do not offer a software that will automatically apply form fields at this time, however it is something that we plan to offer in the hopefully not too distant future.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello sacdude,

Can you please provide such documents as a sample? Depending on the difficulty of the implementation, this feature can be added sooner.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Hi Sasha,
last year I posted a similar request.There is an pdf-Editor on the market which can - for instance - automatically create a text field inside a box,over a line etc.
I would like to have such a facility as it is much faster and more precise than manually placing form fields.
That time I made a video to show the difference between PDF XChange and the Editor of the competitor =>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cafQON5Xync
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello HaPe,

Thank you for posting that video. I trust this will be very helpful to the development team. Could you please also post this file so as to ensure this will work like you expect?

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:Hello HaPe,

Thank you for posting that video. I trust this will be very helpful to the development team. Could you please also post this file so as to ensure this will work like you expect?

Thank you!
Hello Patrick,
here is the file that I used in the video.I created it with Open Office (spread sheet) .Before printing I selected the printing option "print Grid".
I often use the spread sheet-Grid to create fillable forms for my work sheets.
Attachments
NanoWorksheet.pdf
(349.11 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
bqxmprij
User

Post by bqxmprij »

I am joining to add one more person that would greatly appreciate this feature.

More particularly, however, I am writing to identify what I believe is a superior method of automatic form field recognition. Nuance has a product that has "logical form field" recognition. It is called Form Typer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poUkZYqaRHo. The entire document is scanned by the software, and a form field is added wherever it is logical to do so. This, in my opinion, is superior to the software shown in the video posted by HaPe.

I hope that PDF Tracker implements this type of automatic form field generation.

Thanks.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello bqxmprij,

Thank you for adding your opinion! The more people voice their support for this, the more likely it is to be prioritised.
I am writing to identify what I believe is a superior method of automatic form field recognition. Nuance has a product that has "logical form field" recognition. It is called Form Typer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poUkZYqaRHo. The entire document is scanned by the software, and a form field is added wherever it is logical to do so. This, in my opinion, is superior to the software shown in the video posted by HaPe.
I am inclined to agree with you on this point. I think it would be quite beneficial to have both methods implemented eventually.

Thank you!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

+2 ...

PDF-Xchange Editor has a wealth of features that enhance productivity. The development team introduced forms (manual) creation not that long ago with a few growing pains along the way; it's now a solid function.

But, in these competitive times, there no time to relax. You guys could push this product even further ahead by implementing automated forms creation. Currently, I use a competing product to automate form creation and then continue work with PDF-Xchange Editor. I shouldn't have to purchase two products to do this. And acquiring another product always introduces the risk that the user will go with that 'other' product. So, why lose sales?
bqxmprij
User

Post by bqxmprij »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:Hello bqxmprij,

Thank you for adding your opinion! The more people voice their support for this, the more likely it is to be prioritised.
I am writing to identify what I believe is a superior method of automatic form field recognition. Nuance has a product that has "logical form field" recognition. It is called Form Typer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poUkZYqaRHo. The entire document is scanned by the software, and a form field is added wherever it is logical to do so. This, in my opinion, is superior to the software shown in the video posted by HaPe.
I am inclined to agree with you on this point. I think it would be quite beneficial to have both methods implemented eventually.

Thank you!
I really appreciate how the Company listens to its users. I hope the Company implements automated form creation (by scanning the entire document and adding forms where logical) so that I can finally get rid of that other piece of software.

I also think it would be helpful to set up a poll to gauge customer opinion on the priority of new features, fixes or other stuff that the Company works on. You have limited resources and must prioritize what happens first. I suggest you poll the customers.

Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi bqxmprij,
I really appreciate how the Company listens to its users.
We certainly try! It's the customers that buy the software, so if we're not listening to their desires as best we can, we're losing them (although sometimes it's not quite as simple as that).
I hope the Company implements automated form creation (by scanning the entire document and adding forms where logical) so that I can finally get rid of that other piece of software.
From a conversation that I've had wih the development team previously, I believe that this is planned, but it's obviously a fairly complex feature so I can't say when it would be implemented at the moment.
I also think it would be helpful to set up a poll to gauge customer opinion on the priority of new features, fixes or other stuff that the Company works on. You have limited resources and must prioritize what happens first. I suggest you poll the customers.
This was discussed quite some time ago and if I remember rightly, the 'powers that be' weren't too keen on the idea. I'll bring it up again though and will see if their opinion has changed at all.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com