Assigning keyboard shortcuts to special characters?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

shaky
User

Assigning keyboard shortcuts to special characters?

Post by shaky »

Is there a way to map a keyboard shortcut to a specific character in the Wingdings 2 font?

Some of my group like to use various symbols in the annotations in their work papers, such as check marks or tick marks, all of which can be typed in the Wingdings 2 font. Unfortunately it is cumbersome to have to repeatedly change font between Wingdings 2 for the symbol and a text font like Arial for the comment, especially when a document can have dozens or even hundreds of tick marks in it.

We have a package of tick mark stamp images we can provide them, but we would rather keep the symbols as type so that they can insert the symbol and continue typing any notes that go with the item without having to change tools in Xchange.

ALT codes are also not a viable option, as we're working on laptops without real number pads.

Right now I'm just telling them to copy and paste the symbols as needed. This is still more awkward than it should be.

Is there a way to map a CTRL+SHIFT+???? or other keyboard shortcut to a specific character, so that entering the shortcut will insert the character inline with text?

Or does anyone have a better idea?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Assigning keyboard shortcuts to special characters?

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi shaky,

I am afraid that this is not something that can be done without manually changing the fonts each time.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You do not have to use Arial or a Dingbat symbol font to include icons and symbols in notes.

Just select a suitable font that includes the Unicode Dingbats or Icons that you need, and use BabelMap to copy/paste them into sticky notes.

✓✕

Maybe a standard Windows font would be more convenient for sharing files. Look at Segoe Emojji, which has a wide glyph coverage.

✎✒✓✔✕✖✅
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello everyone,

I understand that the difficulty is in the fact that there must be an easy method to mix abc-characters with special characters. Switching font (like from Arial to Wingdings) or using ALT + numeric keypad are things to avoid.

So, why not try the AutoHotkey tool ?
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21187/i ... keystroke/
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the assistance guys :)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com