PDF to MS Word document problems

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ralph varney
User

PDF to MS Word document problems

Post by ralph varney »

I need to convert a PDF file into a *.docx file to use in my website. Browsing this forum I was advised in a separate thread that PDF-Tools software has an option to convert a PDF file to a Microsoft *.docx format.

When I use this to convert a PDF file and then attempt to open it I am greeted with a request for a password, or open in a read only mode. As I do not know the password :cry: I select the read only option and am greeted with a message " the file *.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the content.
Is this problem because this is the unpaid for version of PDF-Tools?

As it happens installing this also updated my PDF-XChange Editor so now there is an option to export to Microsoft Word document (there was an option to export to PowerPoint before). When I use that option.. I go straight to the "the file *.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the content. " error message. For what it is worth the option to export to a PowerPoint works. But is not useful to me at this time.

Thinking the PDF file may be too complicated (or protected?) I tried it with a PDF file I made with my PDF-XChange Editor and have the same results.

Anyone with any thoughts? I can see where perhaps with PDF-Tools it only works with the paid version.. but if it shows as an option on my PDF-XChange Editor it should work there... Am I doing something wrong..

Thank you for your time.. and any opinions
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF to MS Word document problems

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Ralph,

Thank you for the post.
When I use this to convert a PDF file and then attempt to open it I am greeted with a request for a password, or open in a read only mode.
This is to be expected. If a PDF is converted to a word document without a license, a password will be attached to the resulting Word document.
"the file *.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the content. "
This should not happen at all. Please send us the PDF as well as the resulting word document that you are unable to open.

Thanks!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
ralph varney
User

Post by ralph varney »

Thank you for the reply. I have sent the problem files as requested.

I am confused a bit about this though
This is to be expected. If a PDF is converted to a word document without a license, a password will be attached to the resulting Word document.

But on your website on the limitations of any demos
Please feel free to try any, or all, of our evaluation version; none have any kind of time limitation or restrictions to their respective feature-sets. The only caveat is that that any documents converted to a PDF will contain a demo stamp/watermark. (see below)
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Ralph,

I am not seeing the attachments. Please note that to attach files to these forum they must be saved in a zip archive.
Please feel free to try any, or all, of our evaluation version; none have any kind of time limitation or restrictions to their respective feature-sets. The only caveat is that that any documents converted to a PDF will contain a demo stamp/watermark. (see below)
There is no mention here of converting to Word. Perhaps this could be updated to include a notice regarding converting to Word, or a notification in the software before converting without a license may be more appropriate. I will add this to our meeting agenda and discuss this internally.

I look forward to seeing your files so that we can determine what issues are located in the word file. Could you please specify what version of Word you are running?

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
ralph varney
User

Post by ralph varney »

I sent the file(s) to support@pdf-xchange.com as a regular email. The files in question are minutes from an AGM meeting and I would just as soon not post them to the world.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Ralf,

My apologies. It seems your email was moved to a colleague's folder and I did not see it.

I am able to open the document you created with Editor and tools without any warnings in Word 2016. They both look the same as my conversion test. Admittedly the formatting is less than perfect.

Could you please post a screenshot of the error message(s) you are seeing?

I see that you are using office 2007. This may be what causes this issue for you. I will need to set a virtual machine in order to confirm this.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work towards a solution to this issue.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
ralph varney
User

Post by ralph varney »

Thank you for trying to resolve this.. But.. I am thinking it is more the fault of MS Word 2007 than your program. I tried opening the converted file you sent by email.. and nada.. well the same results as I got previously. So.. I have on another computer the Opensource LibreOffice suite and copied the file you converted to it.. and it opens just fine with LibreOffice. https://www.libreoffice.org/

You are quite right to wonder about the formatting though.. :D . Anyway with the success of being to able to open your converted file I tried it (LibreOffice with the converted files that my PDF-XChange created.. and with no problem. Also tried it with the copy PDF-Tools made and it opens as well.. but with PDF-XChange DEMO all over it :( .

Thinking perhaps my version MS Word 2007 might be corrupted I tried opening the files on that second computer (Windows 7 Home) and with MS Office 2007 with the same results. And, also tried it on my Windows 10 computer (with MS Office 2007) and again the same results.

I have included as requested the error messages I get 3 screen shots, error when using PDF-XChange and 2 from PDF-Tools.

<edit> As an additional thought. perhaps the issue is that the program that made the original PDF was not MS Word.. I think. I could confirm that if necessary.
Attachments
PDF conversion.zip
(250.11 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ralf.
Problem is with Office version - we support only MS Word 2010 and higher since MS Word 2007 has some serious limitations in docx support.
HTH
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

To work around the problem, you can try to open the Word-document with WordPad (Start > Run > WordPad).

In WordPad, you can re-save the document, via File > Save. N.B.: "Save As" offers additional options.
Via "Save", you will have two options: one to overwrite the original document, a second to create a new document (save a copy).

You can best "save a copy". This should filter out eventual problems, and should enable you to open it in Microsoft Word 2007.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Willy,

Thanks for the suggested workaround!

Cheers,
Stefan
ralph varney
User

Post by ralph varney »

Issue is resolved but if anyone in the future has issues like mine.. try LibreOffice. https://www.libreoffice.org/ It is free and works.. :D
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks Ralf,

Glad to hear the issue is now gone!

Cheers,
Stefan