custom named printer doesn't get removed on uninstall

Support for network administrators. for software deployment and management through Active Directory Group Policies.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mkr
User

custom named printer doesn't get removed on uninstall

Post by mkr »

For historical reasons, the pdf printer in our Windows 7 x64 enviroment is named "PDF". Starting with the PDF-XChange PRO 6.0.317 x64 MSI package, a custom named pdf printer doesn't get removed if PDFX gets uninstalled. It works fine with the PDF-XChange PRO 5.5.315 x64 MSI package.

This is especially annoying since a GPO deployed PDF-XChange PRO MSI package, scheduled for reinstallation (upgrade/changed settings etc.), fails to install due to a already existing pdf printer with the same name.

This issue can be reproduced using the following config file and install string:

PDFXC6Pro_6.0_x64.ini:

Code: Select all

[Properties]
PNAME=PDF
(un)install string:

msiexec /i C:\local\PDFXC6Pro_6.0.317_x64.msi CONFIGFILE=C:\local\PDFXC6Pro_6.0_x64.ini /qb+
msiexec /x C:\local\PDFXC6Pro_6.0.317_x64.msi
regards
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: custom named printer doesn't get removed on uninstall

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the feedback mkr. I'm sorry to hear that you are seeing this issue.

We are going to need a log of the install that failed. Can you log this and send us the log file to support@pdf-xchange.com with a cross reference to this forum thread so we know what it's about please?

Meanwhile, we will attempt to reproduce the issue here.

hth

Paul
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi mkr

did you ever get this working?

I have used the following wmic command to delete a custom named printer. In this case the printer was renamed "PDF-XChange Customized". The command requires admin privileges and I found it very effective when pushed through a Group Policy:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> wmic PRINTER where "name like 'PDF-XChange Customized'" delete
Deleting instance \\WIN10-PRO-X64\ROOT\CIMV2:Win32_Printer.DeviceID="PDF-XChange Customized"
Instance deletion successful.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>
I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
mkr
User

Post by mkr »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: I hope that helps.
Unfortunately not. I mean, the problem is that a re-installation fails because of an existing pdf printer which wasn't removed during uninstall. Running WMI queries (maybe as custom msi actions) might work but isn't more than I hack.

I consider this as an error of the installer. Even the latests PDF-XChange PRO 6.0.319.0 installer has this bug. It allows to create an custom named printer but fails to remove the very same printer on uninstall.

I'm really not in the position to say what tracker software should do but I would strongly suggest to either remove support for the PNAME property or fix the (un)installer.

Regards
Mathias
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Mathias,

As per my response to your other post, from what I can see, we never received the requested log. Please provide the log and we'd be happy to look at this further.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.